⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Creation Kit not saving .esp master file info

I think everybody does privat mods.

My first mod was a never released underground jail mod. Just a small cell for Nazeem to have some some... retribution... It still feels good to think on him how he stays there, alone and is babbling from his cloud district. Whoever said that vengeance is bad has never met Nazeem before. My opinion!*

But honestly you should ask then just the mod author of a mod if you can use parts of his mod, for your own mod/s. Sure, his/her answer will also depend on how much you like to use from his mod, but if it is not all and if you aknoweldge to name him/her later in the credits of the mod, the most say yes to it if we talk about things like that.

*Edit: Vengeance will be mine, har har har! :smile:

It varies from mod author to mod author, some are happy to help, some indiifferent, some hostile. I had the author of one of my favourite mods, that I was working on, and was eventually going to release a tweaks patch, just take it down completely.

Anyway... I found the answer, still testing it though. But it seems to be working.

I went into the Header, in FO4 and flagged all the .esp's that were above my mod, to .esm's.

They were still classed as .esp's, soo... still worked in-game, and the Creation Kit was fooled into thinking that all my Swimsuit Tweaks KP.esp mods above it, were .esm's. Even though they were still .esp's, just falsely flagged as .esm's.

Still need to do a lot of testing, to see if there are any problems, but it's looking good.

Thanks for your help, I'll be adding a full solution to the main page... :smile:

I think everybody does privat mods.

My first mod was a never released underground jail mod. Just a small cell for Nazeem to have some some... retribution... It still feels good to think on him how he stays there, alone and is babbling from his cloud district. Whoever said that vengeance is bad has never met Nazeem before. My opinion!*

But honestly you should ask then just the mod author of a mod if you can use parts of his mod, for your own mod/s. Sure, his/her answer will also depend on how much you like to use from his mod, but if it is not all and if you aknoweldge to name him/her later in the credits of the mod, the most say yes to it if we talk about things like that.

*Edit: Vengeance will be mine, har har har! :smile:

It varies from mod author to mod author, some are happy to help, some indiifferent, some hostile. I had the author of one of my favourite mods, that I was working on, and was eventually going to release a tweaks patch, just take it down completely.

Anyway... I found the answer, still testing it though. But it seems to be working.

I went into the Header, in FO4 and flagged all the .esp's that were above my mod, to .esm's.

They were still classed as .esp's, soo... still worked in-game, and the Creation Kit was fooled into thinking that all my Swimsuit Tweaks KP.esp mods above it, were .esm's. Even though they were still .esp's, just falsely flagged as .esm's.

Still need to do a lot of testing, to see if there are any problems, but it's looking good.

Thanks for your help, I'll be adding a full solution to the main page... :smile:

The Skyrim SE process should work here as well.

Load the Swimsuit mod with all of its parent masters in FO4Edit

Change the header flag in any of the parent masters of the Swimsuit mod to ESM

Change the header flag in the Swimsuit mod to ESM

Save those changes (and remember which ones you had to toggle)

Exit FO4Edit

Load it all in the Creation Kit

Make your changes and save your plugin

Go back to FO4Edit

Change the header flags on the ones you changed earlier back to ESP

Save and exit

Test in game

Repeat the process every time you need to make an edit.

That worked, I still need to do some testing. But I added tweaked stat Swimsuits to chests levelled lists, and into the world, in their own layer.

Tested them in-game, and in FO4Edit, and they seem to be working.

I had originally tried with changing just the Swimsuit.esp mod, flagging it as a master. But the Creation Kit didn't like it, and found that all the .esp files needed to be flagged as .esm files.

Swimsuit.esp ......................... flagged as .esm

Armorsmith Extended.esp ..... flagged as .esm

Swimsuit Tweaks KP.esp ....... unchanged, saving perfectly. Load order being kept, when saved in Creation Kit

Thanks for your help, I still need to do some more testing, but items are appearing in the game. .esp files are being saved correctly, in the Creation Kit... :smile:

I'll add a full list of stuff I did in the main part of this thread, so it can help other people.

Reminder, don't keep the parent masters as false flagged ESPs when testing in the game. You may not get the same results as someone who just uses the mods. This is because their load order position will change. They'll be shifted up to the ESM section rather than remain in the ESP section.

Reminder, don't keep the parent masters as false flagged ESPs when testing in the game. You may not get the same results as someone who just uses the mods. This is because their load order position will change. They'll be shifted up to the ESM section rather than remain in the ESP section.

Understood... that's why I said I was still testing stuff, I didn't know if false flagged .esp would make a difference in-game.

I tested my new stuff I added to the game, but haven't tested all the rest, and how they interact with each other.

Thanks for the info... :smile:

ESP stands for Elder Scrolls Plugin file, which can not be a master (according to creation kit), you need to turn it into an ESM (Elder Scrolls Master file)

It runs a .esp as a .esm or .esl fine, it just removes the data when it saves it.

FO4Edit and the Creation Kit run perfectly with a .esp running as a Master whether flagged or not. It just doesn't save it, with the Vanilla Creation Kit set-up...

The CK actively removes any ESP from the master list, on save. Correct. That's why I said "can not be a master (according to creation kit)".

Sure, you can edit it with FO4Edit and stuff and get it to work. Just not by adding an ESP as Master using the CK. You'll need to convert it to an ESM for that. (which you can change to ESP again, using FO4Edit, so your patch or whatever will work with the original ESP file in-game)

Yeah... I did that, and made a mod for a .esp. Temporarily False Flagging other .esp's as .esm's, for using in Creation Kit.

The Creation Kit is saving my .esp Masters now.

Thanks for your help, I added a tutorial in the Description, for other people having the same problem. :smile:

If you install the CK Fixes mod, you will find that you can now load multiple ESP masters and they won't get stripped on save, and can thus create patches for other mods directly in CK.

I tried that first, before I started this thread. But it needs a lot to run it, and my PC must be missing something, as it doesn't run it properly. I'm running on very old Windows 7 software, that Microsoft doesn't make any more, as it runs 100% of everything I want it to run.

I wanted a very simple solution, like the Multiple Masters solution. I was very close to finding it myself, but just couldn't quite work it out.

With the help of the people on this thread, I worked out a very simple way of fixing the problem. Posting the solution in Description area, of this thread.

Thanks for telling me about the CK Fixes mod though... :no: