Getting meshes with collision into game without 3DS Max 2013?

I've been doing some serious searching through the forums and google the last few days trying to find an answer for this question, and from what I understand, it just isn't possible.

Which I find to be so super frustrating, since I can't seem to go out and buy 3DS 2013. Can anyone correct me if I'm wrong on this? Not to mention, who the hell can afford a current version of 3ds max?

I feel like I just wasted a bunch of time in blender modeling and texturing this giant ride for a F04 mod I've been working on and now I find out it's impossible to get it in game without being able to walk through it. Which makes it absolutely pointless for the mod.

I remember getting models into oblivion and new vegas wasn't necessarily easy at first, but it was doable and wasn't that much of a headache. This is just garbage. Just needed to vent a little.

I've been doing some serious searching through the forums and google the last few days trying to find an answer for this question, and from what I understand, it just isn't possible.

Which I find to be so super frustrating, since I can't seem to go out and buy 3DS 2013. Can anyone correct me if I'm wrong on this? Not to mention, who the hell can afford a current version of 3ds max?

A "current version" of 3DSMAX would not help you in any way.

It needs to be the 2013 version.

And no you can't buy it.

Trust me, I tried!

his is just garbage. Just needed to vent a little.

I completley get that!

I was messing around with meshes a little bit in Skyrim.

Fallout 4 is hard to get into, because you need some very special "unobtainable" tools (like 3dsmax2013) to get custom assets into the game.

They made the meshes work a bit differently from how they were set up in Skyrim, Oblivion, ...

So all the "tricks" to do mesh-stuff for those older games won't help you here.

I personally don't think there is any other way then 2013.

I think you can import static objects into the game with "Outfit stuido", you can export it from blender as an OBJ and then use Outfit Stuido to import that OBJ, then save it as a NIF.

Don't know if that does collision ...

I think you can import static objects into the game with "Outfit stuido", you can export it from blender as an OBJ and then use Outfit Stuido to import that OBJ, then save it as a NIF.

Yup, that's the same conclusion I came to. I tried to buy it too and it's not available.

Pretty much makes the mod idea I had a "no go". Unless I can find a the holy grail 3DS Max cd at a thrift store, which I'll find after I hit the lottery.

Yup, that's the same conclusion I came to. I tried to buy it too and it's not available.

Pretty much makes the mod idea I had a "no go". Unless I can find a the holy grail 3DS Max cd at a thrift store, which I'll find after I hit the lottery.

You can still find it on torrent sites. (probably, been a while since i last checked)

...but besides that, there is a workaround by using existing collisions from other objects. You can put as many different collisions together as you need to 'model' it to fit your object.

It should be noted there are different types of collision objects. As you can see with different colors in CK's object preview window (F4 = toggle collision). Regular collisions will not move in-game, it needs to be an 'animated' type.

If it shows up red inside the preview, it will NOT move in-game (note: it will move inside CK preview! so don't be fooled, it doesn't work) it needs to be a pink colored collision to actually move in-game.

A distinction you can't change, afaik. It seems to be locked away inside the binary collision data. (but correct me if I'm wrong)

...but besides that, there is a workaround by using existing collisions from other objects. You can put as many different collisions together as you need to 'model' it to fit your object.

It should be noted there are different types of collision objects. As you can see with different colors in CK's object preview window (F4 = toggle collision). Regular collisions will not move in-game, it needs to be an 'animated' type.

If it shows up red inside the preview, it will NOT move in-game (note: it will move inside CK preview! so don't be fooled, it doesn't work) it needs to be a pink colored collision to actually move in-game.

A distinction you can't change, afaik. It seems to be locked away inside the binary collision data. (but correct me if I'm wrong)

I don't need anything to move, I just want static collision so you can't walk through it.

Also I want to be clear, If I can't buy it, I'm not getting it.

Which is part of my frustration with bethesda, how can you say you are making something modder friendly and then make it almost impossible to get meshes into the game without a program no one can get anymore?

Edited by joshua121

In the autodesk forums there's a response from a technical support guy who shared a direct link to download the right version of 3ds max. The message is from 2015 but the link is still working. It is 100% legit. You'll getting a 30 day evaluation unless you can register it.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/installation-licensing/3ds-max-2013-windows-64-bt/td-p/5557230

Edited by DieFeM

In the autodesk forums there's a response from a technical support guy who shared a direct link to download the right version of 3ds max. The message is from 2015 but the link is still working. It is 100% legit. You'll getting a 30 day evaluation unless you can register it.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/installation-licensing/3ds-max-2013-windows-64-bt/td-p/5557230

Nice!

Just load that into a virtual machine and "reset" the VM after the thirty days ...

So you can use it "forever", because the application only "sees" the VM and not the actual time & date.

At least that's how I think it should work ...

(Don't know how well 3dsmax runs in a VM, but that might be the only way to do this "the legal way")

Nice!

Just load that into a virtual machine and "reset" the VM after the thirty days ...

So you can use it "forever", because the application only "sees" the VM and not the actual time & date.

At least that's how I think it should work ...

(Don't know how well 3dsmax runs in a VM, but that might be the only way to do this "the legal way")

...or you could just contact the Autodesk Sales office and get yourself a proper subscription/license.