Amazing Starts times ssd

Anyone here have a insane ssd setup they would like to share with us, i have had some freaking amazing start times from cold to to bios-to windows finish loading-just around 8 seconds.

I couldn't hardly believe it when i booted it up for the first time when i installed windows 7 for the first time. The Bios in itself is almost nearly impossible to get into with the way it boots up so quickly.

Something kicked in soon after installing the ssd, that made my Bios Scream fast :biggrin:

yea thats what i was getting when i first got my SSD too. give or take. now a year later with the SSD fully loaded (its a 128gb with about 20gb left) it takes about 15 seconds id say to fully boot up. not that im complaining.

I heard the 840 where fast, the same goes for the crucial m500, same deal.

maybe on even grounds in certain things :biggrin:

i heard the samsung 840's specify that it supports amd controllers natively, i almost wish i bought one of those instead.

Edited by Thor.

I didn't bother with an expensive one! I've got a cheap-ass Intel one(so I could divert funds towards more important stuff like a CPU with a huge factory overclock) and even it does about 15 seconds. Not bad for under a hundred bucks, since money just buys storage, not speed.

It's mostly Windows and BIOS that are responsible for these few-second 'warm' boots; a SSD doesn't help the BIOS POST go faster. All SSD boot ~the same, PC boot time variations are caused by BIOS/UEFI differences, connected peripherals and OS loadout.

On my main PC I run a Revodrive 3 x2 480, cached by 4GB of RAM via Fancycache, with IOPS-noncritical files externalized onto a 2x600 RAID, cached by another 2GB of RAM and 24GB back on Revodrive (sometimes increased). This setup sounds recursive, but it isn't and it works - the result is essentially almost consistent throughput.

This is the working drive that has Visual Studio, all active project files, current "project game" I'm modding or actively playing (usually go hand in hand), and performance-critical applications.

I keep Windows 7 on an old Crucial m4 256 (also cached by 2GB). You'll notice it's much slower - that's because Windows is almost unaffected by relative SSD performance, only by whether it's a SSD. With tens of gigabytes of crap that will never be accessed except maybe during some obscure driver rollback (so you can't just delete it) and ongoing bloat, Windows just isn't worth putting it on your best drive. The difference between Revo boot and X25-M boot (my even older SSD that still has an OS on it) is maybe a second. And my PC isn't an empty ultrathin, so it's not 2 vs 3 seconds, more like 20 vs 21 (five are spent just on the OS selection screen).

Most of my "second-tier" applications and games are either on the m4 or on a Samsung 830 256, which has XP and various software on it. One of the X25's runs as second tier cache - through same Fancycache software - for my fileserver's hard drives.

There are also two old drives, X25-M and Vertex 2, that I just don't have much to do with, they're too small to put in a laptop, too bulky to use as thumbdrives, too likely to wear out if put on intensive caching duty, and any other is useless in NAS. Had to disconnect one recently to free up SATA slots for another hard drive, use it now as a sandbox. I'll probably end up just giving them away building a PC for someone.

Thats not always the case, check out the bios and hardware, its booting windows 7 on a older setup, but check out the start times.

Not meaning anything by it, but... has the rest of my post left an impression of someone who doesn't know what they are and what they do?

This video is of a 27-second boot. You hear the power flicked on at 0:04 and the Windows desktop is visible at 0:31. That's a lot longer than mine takes to boot, but this PC uses BIOS instead of UEFI.

Boot times are always measured from connecting the power to an open and usable desktop, sometimes to an autostarting app. More selective measurements are meaningless.

I use an SSD, I find it to be "okay", but nothing too amazing. I got a Mushkin Enhanced SATA3 60GB model. I leave behind 10GB worth of space for over-provisioning, and since it's a budget model, it's write cycles are more limited than the performance drives.

The only problem is that the 47GB of formatted space left is enough for one Windows OS with smaller programs loaded on it. Swap space has to be on my HDD.

My next budget build probably won't have an SSD. Maybe in the years when they get cheaper and leak deeper in the mainstream.

Must feel pretty good to have a 128GB SSD though.