We are aware aware of an issue with authentication on the site. See our status page for details. ×

Was Goodneighbor originally intended to have 2 more areas?

mkr1977

See the area of Goodneighbor to the left and right of Hotel Rex, right down the far end of the street. The street ends on either side rather abruptly, with rubble obstructing.

It looks to me like there may have been a transition screen there that would have taken you through to other areas of Goodneighbor. Does anyone know if this is actually the case, and whether the rest of Goodneighbor was cut early in development?

Maybe the devs from Bethesda once planned to give Goodneighbor more entrances, but because of the size of Goodneighbor that would have made no sense, besides letting Goodneighbor look even smaller as it is.

Also in the creation kit, you can see that the whole area of Goodneighbor is viewable in the game, aka. there are no hidden areas or something like this.

Edited by taryl80

It's weird that GN has its own worldspace anyway ...

It is not THAT big and there is not THAT much going on there ...

Emil Pagliarulo (director) was saying that the original plan was to do it without a separate worldspace, but they had to isolate the location because of enemy sandboxing in the area. Super Mutants and Raiders are very close to the location, and combat situations can easily spread to the Town while important events / dialogues are going on.

I think also that they did this to deal with loading time when going in/out of interior locations like Hotel Rexford, Memory Den, etc.. If they used the same worldspace, coming out of these interior locations would take very long. This loading time issue in particular is a huge problem for my WIP project. :confused:

Edited by DiodeLadder

I have a fairly good graphics card but in front of GN the framerate drops a bit (Not drastically). Same goes for Bunker Hill.

It was a good idea though to give its own worldspace.

The reason for its size is probably also because Boston itself is so small. It could have gone up in height though.

I always thought anyways that Boston is too small and I believe there was once more planned, because of all the almost empty space south of Boston.

I mean much is there not after that tunnel with the raiders and ghuls in it, but I think they later dropped this idea because of perfomance reasons. With a bigger Boston, Goodneighbor had might been also bigger.

At it's current state, it is a nightmare to find there free space for modding, especially if you take also already released Goodneighbor mods in mind.

If Goodneighbor was meant to be larger, I suppose it must have been dropped very early in development. I am going to see what I can do with the ends of the streets, perhaps place a door there that transitions to a new area. Alternative, put an NPC there that offers to guide you through the rubble to the other side of the street for a fee, which transitions to the new area, a method which is probably less likely to break Goodneighbor.

If Goodneighbor was meant to be larger, I suppose it must have been dropped very early in development. I am going to see what I can do with the ends of the streets, perhaps place a door there that transitions to a new area. Alternative, put an NPC there that offers to guide you through the rubble to the other side of the street for a fee, which transitions to the new area, a method which is probably less likely to break Goodneighbor.

If you do that, that brings some new problems:

In the Commonwealth worldspace, the area directly behind that rubble is accessible, so if you want to use that area in the goodneighbor worldspace, then please make the same changes in the commonwealth worldspace.

Otherwise you will get the worst, most immersion breaking thing ever (in my opinion): "Interiors" that are bigger then the building / structure actually is on the exterior.

So, you see how the seperate worldpsace for goodneighbor really is bad for modding ...

Because all major changes that you do to the goodneighbor worldspace should also be done in the commonwealth worldspace.

I mean things like adding / editing buildings, clearing large ammounts of rubble ...

Also, in the vanilla game, when you are in the commonwealth worldspace and try to jump on / over that rubble, you get teleportet into goodneighbor.

The area directly behind the rubble that blocks of goodneigbor is accessible from the commonwealth worldspace!

See this map for what I mean:

73722383-1628963334.png

I marked the "playable area" directly outside of Goodneighbor in green.

The dotted green line is that elevated street with some raiders on it that runs under a few buildings.

The green line directly under the label "Daisys Discounts" is a small way that when followed leads to clearing under the mentioned "elevated street with raiders" where some molerats will jump out at the player.

The shaded red is the Goodneighbor "worldspace".

The darker red are the rubble "barriers".

I hope this help to visually show what I meant in my previous post about the space directly behind the barriers beeing accessible.

Best way to expand Goodneighbor is with interiors imo.

With interiors you have still a creative freedom in parts, as long as you have interiors with believable sizes.

Edit: The map is great looks great. Don't know if she is your work, but I wish every part of the Commonwealth would be shown like this.

Edited by taryl80