US Army researches Terminators

Dazaster

If they need a brain, they might have somethign in the works :blink:

Probably my favourite type of AI :biggrin:

Edited by Thor.

Just be careful, he'll be back. And what if all the other robots become self aware? I guess we'd have to get to the chopper, or it's hasta la vista. baby!

I'll stop now, this is getting awkward..

One thing about that Ai, it clearly shows emotion and was afraid to leave. That in its self freaked me out kind of. i wouldn't be surprised what tech we have now that have the same AI or more advanced to fit inside that exoskeleton, just the thought of having a full blown conversation with that thing :blink: Darpa.

Edited by Thor.

If I understand what they are doing with Robots like Jules the purpose is not really to develop intelligence, just to mimic subtle physical expression. When the robot shows signs of emotion it is simply responding according to a script of sorts. This is not a diminishment of their accomplishment, and it has applications in AI if and when true AI is developed (which may have already happened, "intelligence" has a very fuzzy definition so who knows) but it is not really accurate to say that the robot is intelligent or emotional. It just looks intelligent and emotional because it is sending us very subtle facial cues that we recognize and have never seen anywhere other than a real human face.

That said, if you attach that Jules head to the Atlas body you would have a very freaky creation to play with. I think that it is something that will be interfaced with human brains before a true AI is developed, sort of like in the film Surrogates.

On a somewhat related topic, I just watched a very cool and thought provoking short film that is about wiring human brains up to use them as computers in space probes. Highly recommended for any fellow sci-fi nerds:

http://www.project-kronos.com/

Interesting. Human/robot integration is actually very common in one of the science fiction series I read, War Hammer 40K. In it, human brain and spinal tissue is used instead of microprocessors and cabling respectively, and I can see how it could be quite effective in real life. Unfortunately War Hammer portrays the science as hideously flawed, dangerously unreliable, and downright amoral, and while a few of the faults are War Hammer specific, others are quite interesting and pertinent to real cyborg development.

In 40K, Servitors-essentially a fusion of a human body with a number of robotic parts-are used for any number of functions, from basic cargo loading and driving taxis, to massive war-servitors, hunter-killer drones and even immense banks of linked brains called Cogitators which essentially serve as the "brain" of a whole star ship or city. The advantages are pretty obvious; StarShip and Titan(basically a starship sized land vehicle) captains operate their vehicles by linking their brain telepathically into the huge mass of cloned brain and spinal tissue. While linked, the vehicle essentially becomes their body-any impact registers as pain, sensors become senses, and weapons are as easily handled as a pair of sidearms.

But, there's an issue. So where do you get the millions of bodies and brains from? any 40K fan will know this is a pretty dark universe. Servitors used to be prisoners, specifically the worst of the worst criminals. These dregs were seen as undeserving of humanity, had their identities erased, and became servitors. In the real world, sourcing enough brains-in-jars isn't going to be easy. First you've got to find some way to ethically collect brains in jars, then you've got to do it in the sort of numbers that industry requires. That issue for me is the biggest-besides the moral dilemma ofcourse.

And then you've got another problem. Servitors are HORRIBLE creatures. They resemble walking corpses; their bodies rotting away, eyes sewn shut, usually with cabling spilling out of their mouths, shambling along mindlessly-they're a little bit like The Borg from Star Trek, but much more zombie/corpse-like. Really kind of gross.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130331003711/warhammer40k/images/thumb/8/80/Gun_Servitor2.jpg/228px-Gun_Servitor2.jpg

In the Surrogates film the brain is not removed from the body and interfaced with the robot. Instead the person lays inside an isolation chamber and remotely experiences the world via their surrogate body. If I remember correctly (been awhile since I've seen the film) the initial application of this was for physically disabled people. A person with a severe physical disability would likely jump at the chance. It doesn't even seem so far fetched. I remember reading of several projects recently that were successful in allowing a person to move a mouse pointer or type words via wires plugged directly into the brain. Stephen Hawking himself has been involved in this research. When I watched the Project Kronos film I couldn't help imagine that the brain inside the probe was his. At his somewhat advanced age, very advanced state of disability, and lifelong dedication to studying the cosmos I imagine someone like him being open to the idea of lending their brain to such a project, or even a more terrestrial one that simply wants to place a brain inside a robot.

Edited by TRoaches

Well I'm gone for a few week's to work on a few personal projects of mine, and I come back to find the forums has completely rearranged. And because of that I missed a few threads i would have liked to put my input into, but, oh well they're now locked. :P

Anyway i think the problems with Robotics are still to arrive, and personally I don't think the problems will manifest until Cybernetics and Nanotechnology really kicks off. However we are already starting to see the beginning of this transition, and Robotic Technology will have more of an effect on society then Telecommunications did. Like drones pilots being immoral or lacking the ability to make ethical decisions because killing has become a Video Game, do due the inherent nature of Robotic Combat, because they are so removed from the violence. I also do realize this resembles the problem soldiers face after they return home, however this is different in the sense they don't really care. They don't seem to regret their actions unlike Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. In about thirty to fifty years I figure well start to see Augmentation maybe a little longer, and all the wonderful little disasters that will inevitably accompany it.

Interesting. Human/robot integration is actually very common in one of the science fiction series I read, War Hammer 40K. In it, human brain and spinal tissue is used instead of microprocessors and cabling respectively, and I can see how it could be quite effective in real life. Unfortunately War Hammer portrays the science as hideously flawed, dangerously unreliable, and downright amoral, and while a few of the faults are War Hammer specific, others are quite interesting and pertinent to real cyborg development.

In 40K, Servitors-essentially a fusion of a human body with a number of robotic parts-are used for any number of functions, from basic cargo loading and driving taxis, to massive war-servitors, hunter-killer drones and even immense banks of linked brains called Cogitators which essentially serve as the "brain" of a whole star ship or city. The advantages are pretty obvious; StarShip and Titan(basically a starship sized land vehicle) captains operate their vehicles by linking their brain telepathically into the huge mass of cloned brain and spinal tissue. While linked, the vehicle essentially becomes their body-any impact registers as pain, sensors become senses, and weapons are as easily handled as a pair of sidearms.

But, there's an issue. So where do you get the millions of bodies and brains from? any 40K fan will know this is a pretty dark universe. Servitors used to be prisoners, specifically the worst of the worst criminals. These dregs were seen as undeserving of humanity, had their identities erased, and became servitors. In the real world, sourcing enough brains-in-jars isn't going to be easy. First you've got to find some way to ethically collect brains in jars, then you've got to do it in the sort of numbers that industry requires. That issue for me is the biggest-besides the moral dilemma ofcourse.

And then you've got another problem. Servitors are HORRIBLE creatures. They resemble walking corpses; their bodies rotting away, eyes sewn shut, usually with cabling spilling out of their mouths, shambling along mindlessly-they're a little bit like The Borg from Star Trek, but much more zombie/corpse-like. Really kind of gross.

If I maybe so bold as to direct your attention to the following articles. Then you can decide what can we realistically call Science Fiction anymore.

Humanity must be very careful this will all be a reality in the future at some point, genetics is not something you can repair if something goes wrong. Where losing sight of what ethics and morality is, it is being replaced in the name of progress and science, hidden under various names to hid its intention. When it is really nothing more then Eugenics and Trans-Humanism dressed in a masquerade and promoted through various forms of mass media. All in the quest of the proverbial Tree of Knowledge. By any chance, has anyone read the story of Icarus or Prometheus?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taLw2LhPoTU

(Information related to Genetic Engineering from all sides of the argument.)

In the Surrogates film the brain is not removed from the body and interfaced with the robot. Instead the person lays inside an isolation chamber and remotely experiences the world via their surrogate body. If I remember correctly (been awhile since I've seen the film) the initial application of this was for physically disabled people. A person with a severe physical disability would likely jump at the chance. It doesn't even seem so far fetched. I remember reading of several projects recently that were successful in allowing a person to move a mouse pointer or type words via wires plugged directly into the brain. Stephen Hawking himself has been involved in this research. When I watched the Project Kronos film I couldn't help imagine that the brain inside the probe was his. At his somewhat advanced age, very advanced state of disability, and lifelong dedication to studying the cosmos I imagine someone like him being open to the idea of lending their brain to such a project, or even a more terrestrial one that simply wants to place a brain inside a robot.

Which was based off of this, or this was based off of Surrogates, I can never get that part right. :rolleyes:

Edited by Hardwaremaster

If they need a brain, they might have somethign in the works :blink:

Probably my favourite type of AI :D

This... wow, I'm sorry but right in the emotions. Yes it is simply a machine with a brain that we fabricated and constructed. But the things shown here are individual thoughts and feelings, maybe just synthesized... expressed... or otherwise, still feelings. :/

That does in my opinion create conflicts. I mean yes, the university put the money into the project and commisioned the robot. But they did so to create what could be a semi sentient, if not completely sentient autonomous creation and really it seems quite wrong to disregard it's described feelings and emotions. (I use it, not to disregard the fact that it could be a sentient creature but due to the fact that no identified gender was determined). That being said, in the future will anything that people sink money and research their property? If so... this can even go wrong at the most rudimentary levels. I mean look at today's pharma industry... people in part use threats of lawsuits to prevent others from providing cheaper or less expensive therapy, or even the red tape put in place to prevent technologies which could have great benefits for human kind simply because it will infringe upon someone's "property". Heck... even look at the attempt to patent genes which thankfully fell through. One corporation attempted to put a patent on a gene sequence related to cancer, thereby making it prohibitively expensive in many cases to even research ways of dealing with that type of cancer.

But I digress. The point is, would it be morally correct to create something like this and simply disregard what it appears to think and feel (it's programmed to learn, and everything from there it does on it's own?) simply because people paid money?

I don't know it just seems wrong to me somehow :/

Now back onto the MAIN topic at hand. Is there room for a robot rebellion if technology keeps going as it does? Once we get to the point of sentience yes, because at least from what history has shown... any sort of organism that has some degree of intelligence will if mistreated do what they can to eliminate that mistreatment. Monkeys will fight to the death for their hierarchy resources etc. By the same token humans will fight wars politically, physically, or even economically to be treated with a level of respect and humanity.

So what's to think that a robot, or a group of them won't do the same if people treat them with less than what we afford humanity as a whole? Needless to say it may not be armed conflict, but it may somehow perhaps be a political or even economic conflict.

My two cents on the topic.

Edited by GlitchGirl