Lose Workshop After Installing Vault DLC

drnshaw

I'll try to make this short as I be the only one who has had this issue. Before installing the Vault dlc, I never had any problems with the workshop, e.g. as long as I was within the build area, I was OK and could build forever. That changed once the dlc was installed. I would be building in vault 88 and the workshop would literally disappear, e.g. 'v' would not bring up the workstation and if I was in the workstation, it would just quit. I would run all the way back to the workshop and start again.

This has happened everywhere I have built a vault where a workstation exists (haven't tried outside of a workstation area yet). To get around this (to make it so I don't go nuts), I put the start of the vault near the area workshop. I've tried using Portable Workshop Enhanced and Mobile Workshop but they don't work because I'm in the area of a workshop. BTW, I use vault stairs (usually 3 to get over the buildings) as my start.

Does anyone know how to overcome this?

In advance - THANKS!

N.

That's because all of the vaults belong to me and my Empire! Mwahahahaha. :)

Show us your mod list please. Could be a specific mod, or could be the order they are loaded.

I do have a similar kickout problem at Croup Manor, but I suspect that has to do with a very narrow gap between boundary boxes, that I just happened to build a house half on one side, half on the other lol

Old hand, when this started in Vault 88, I had no mods. So, this isn't an issue with mods; however, when it occurred, I began searching for a mod to create a workshop anywhere. I found two (and installed both) - Mobile Workshop and Portable Workshop Enhanced. These, however, do not work when in the area of a workshop such as Sanctuary. I then installed Homemaker Expanded Settlements, Renovated Furniture, Improved Map with Visible Roads, and Vault-Tec Workshop Overhaul 3.1 (thinking this might help) and More Vault Signs (looking for a sign for the nursery (they provide rooms for a nursery but no sign...). I installed all of these yesterday afternoon and this morning. None of these mods, according to nexus mods, require any other mod and they were all installed using the Vortex manager. Again, this happened before I installed any mods; happened once I installed the Vault 88 dlc and began creating a vault in Vault 88.

Thanks!

N.

Gotcha (and I have a vault Nursery sign someplace, I'll try to remember which mod it comes from).

Next question, did you use FO4Edit to clean any of the official files, Fallout4.esm or the DLCs?

Oh, and yeah, placeable workshops won't work in areas where there is already a workshop. Only one workshop allowed per Encounter Zone, and all of 88 is one zone. The bad thing is just trying to place one can cause a conflict that actually results in the workshop kickout effect you are having. I know I have one unusable settlement on one of my saves because of that.

I'm looking at the Movable Workshop Workbench mod. That 'MIGHT' solve the problem (or not...). :-)

N.

It won't. All that does is "unfix" its position. Workshops are tied to their Location and Encounter Zones, it really doesn't matter exactly where in that area they are located.

Have you used Steam to fix your game?

In your Steam library, right click on Fallout 4, select Properties, then Local Files, then "Verify integrity of game files". Let it work. You'll have to run the game once through Steam after that to fix the Windows registry entries. You don't have to play it, just get to the main menu. After that you can run it through Vortex again.

I just did that. Mods are still there but I've removed about 5 to include Movable Workshop Workbench. I guess, in my seeking an answer to my problem, I discovered mods and, well, sort of went a bit nuts. But, I only installed mods that didn't depend on anything else using Vortex. :-)

Thank you for all your help!

N.

Workshops are tricky things, very finicky, and the main WorkshopParent script is incredibly fragile. Doesn't take much to break it, and once that happens you can write off that settlement because everything is baked into the save file. Most of the time starting a new game is the only fix.

That includes upgrading mods by the way. Some settlement mods will just stop working if you upgrade them. My vault mods, for example. Upgrades may work, or they may break the gear door (frequently, frustrates me no end), or they may break the entire settlement. Depends on just how much I've tweaked it between releases.

Hmmm, one more thing you can try. Grab SKK Workshop Ownership Utilities. You can use it to run some diagnostics on the malfunctioning workshop, and sometimes it is even able to repair it. Does a lot of other interesting things too, so be careful.

Installed the Workshop Ownership Utilities and still have problem. Two things: 1) this only happens when building vaults and 2) it seems to happen when I build big vaults. On Spectacle Island, for example, I have three elevators, stairs that go from the first floor to the 4th (highest), with three side complete but the size is huge (10x12). Usually, my vaults are odd numbers but this one is even - probably because I've built up and broken down so many times that it was odd but became even... Oh well...

N.