Navmeshing Wasteland Exteriors

gunslinger6792

So I'm placing a house outside in the wasteland and I know I need to navmesh. I'm also going to be placing walls around the buidling and I know that if i don't fix the navmeshing I'll have npc's bouncing off the walls(literally). So is navmeshing outside the same as it is inside a building? what about navmeshing between cells? (I'm assuming thats what the green grid lines are)

You have assumed correctly, the green lines are the external navmesh connections between two different cells. Navmeshing exteriors is not the same as interiors, but for the purpose of your house, it is simple enough to crop the navmeshes around the house.

I was able to do that but what about walls like defensive walls?

"I was able to do that but what about walls like defensive walls?"

That's a little harder. you will have to leave spaces in the navmesh so the walls will fit inside them. That will stop most npc's from trying to walk through them. If you are working in different cells pay very close attention to where they meet it is important.

"I was able to do that but what about walls like defensive walls?"

That's a little harder. you will have to leave spaces in the navmesh so the walls will fit inside them. That will stop most npc's from trying to walk through them. If you are working in different cells pay very close attention to where they meet it is important.

So other than needing to mindful of different cells and spaces between the walls navmeshing is the same as it would normally be?

Ideally, edges which define the boundary of the cell should overlap but there's a bit of wiggle room. While it's good practice to place vertices next to each other, or over-top one another when moving between cells, you can get away with a few gaps here and there as long as the edges of two navmesh-triangles are touching one another.

When you're finished navmeshing for one cell, finalize the cell's navmesh and any edges which lie along the cell-boundary will become highlighted in green if they are close enough to the navmesh of a nearby cell. You can adjust your navmesh at any time and re-finalize the cell to make sure paths line up where you want them to.