A Guide to preventing bugs and crashes in Oblivion

XJDHDR

• 4 weeks later...

Purple objects in your game means that the game can't find your textures, either because they aren't there or because you don't use ArchiveInvalidation.

First, double-check that you have installed all the mod's resources properly, you may need to use the readme to see if there aren't any special instructions. If that doesn't work, then make sure you are using ArchiveInvalidation. The easiest way of doing that is to download this mod: ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated!.

• 2 months later...
I have a problem with my LOD and i need ideas how to fix it. Normally With distand land turned on you'd be able to see a large amount of trees in the distance as well as cities and towns, my problem is that even with all of my settings turned up all of my distant land and buildings dissapear and in their place is flat textures and outlines of where the towns and roads would be. I need help fixing this so any ideas would be nice.

Hmm, I've never seen nor heard of that problem before. Have you read my entire guide? If not, I suggest you do so. If it didn't help, I can't really think what the problem could be. In that case, I would probably recommend that you start a new topic here or on the Bethesda forums concerning this problem.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if this is the right place for it, but here goes...

I recently installed a few mods, and tried them out with prior saved games and they seem to work fine. However, when I start a new game, the dark elf in the cell across the hall walks up to the bars, folds his arms and... nothing. He never starts taunting me, and thus Septim and his posse never come down the stairs. I can still "do" everything, but the game never seems to kick off.

I don't need to play the training section for the millionth time, so I'd be fine with learning how to "trip" the necessary flags to kick off the main plot and get started outside the jail.

Update: It appears the mod that is causing this is Abriael's Human Races Revamped. Vanilla races work fine. I'm looking through the comments on that file to see if this is addressed.

Edited by hostrauser

I believe I addressed the issue you mentioned on this page of my guide. I cannot stress how important it is to check that a mod works properly before you give it a permenant place in your load order.

I can also see that you don't have the Unofficial Oblivion Patch installed. I know this because the UOP already has a custom race fix intergrated into it. Hence, you would not have had that problem if the UOP was installed.

• 2 months later...

I believe I addressed the issue you mentioned on this page of my guide. I cannot stress how important it is to check that a mod works properly before you give it a permenant place in your load order.

I can also see that you don't have the Unofficial Oblivion Patch installed. I know this because the UOP already has a custom race fix intergrated into it. Hence, you would not have had that problem if the UOP was installed.

I just checked out your guide. Thank you for putting that together! I was having a CTD problem and was able to use your guide to correct the problem. The information that you provided was helpful and complete.

I just checked out your guide. Thank you for putting that together! I was having a CTD problem and was able to use your guide to correct the problem. The information that you provided was helpful and complete.

It's nice to know my work is appreciated.