Mod legality question

MeatShackles

So i'm starting to make some armor and weapon mods for fun, iv'e recently been learning blender mainly just for fun. I was wondering about any rules regarding content from other games or movies and such. i've seen plenty of mods that add armor and weapons and things from other games and things, so to what extent is that ok? For example i've been borderlands 2 as Krieg and i'm really fond of him so I thought it would be pretty cool to make his gas mask for fallout new vegas and maybe his outfit. If i made the meshes and textures myself would that be ok to upload? or would it go against some rule or is that safe? (Just for nexus rules i'm not talking about any gearbox copyright laws or things like that ill end up looking that up on my own or trying to make some sort of contact with a gearbox employee.)

As long as the assets used to create your armor set are legal, you will be fine (i.e.-the textures models are not ripped from Borderland 2). Many games which are mod-friendly have community created assets that are along the lines of fan art and there is no repercussion. The trouble starts when the assets (mostly models/meshes) are " 'ported" from the actual game, as that is illegal. Another possible issue, is the scope of your mod. I once worked with a team that was making a TC for Star Wars: Jedi Academy that would turn it into a "Spiderman" type game. My team's Lead Dev was contacted by Sony and asked to halt the mod at once. I also heard of a mod awhile back, I think it was a predator/aliens type mod for Oblivion, and they where asked to stop. -Peace!

Borderlands content will get you banned as well as most other games, you will have to read that games fine print but for the most part only Stalker and Witcher 2 content are aloud to be ported and used because those companies are awesome and gave the OK.

My rule is, if you didnt make it all yourself you need to get permission from the people you used the content from. If its a large cooperation you may as well not even ask, chances are its a NO and you may even get a cease and desist.

Fan art is fine for the most part, as long as everything you made is 100% scratch or used parts from FNV.

If you can obtain permission from the game developers then you can use it. This rarely happens and in the few cases it has we make very, very sure to confirm and re-confirm from the developers that it is ok to do. Otherwise it's make it completely from scratch. Some people have tried to fool us by tracing the textures, moving them about or renaming mesh parts. There are several members of the staff that have experience in these areas and can spot these things instantly.

Good luck and have fun. By the time you teach yourself enough to do this legally you will no doubt, have tons of ideas of your own to create.~Lisnpuppy

Thanks for the replies, yeah i'm gonna do it 100% from scratch no ripping/porting, probably use the hockey mask as a base. I hope i can bring quality mods for everyone in the future ;)