We are aware aware of an issue with authentication on the site. See our status page for details. ×

Seemingly out of nowehere, consistent CTDs on load

myuzak

Hey everyone, first post on the forums, and unfortunately it isn't a positive one lol, but if there's anywhere that can help me out, I feel like this is it!

So, I have ~65 mods installed, and about 15-20 of those were all added today. I've logged about 20 hours on my current character without problem, but today I played for roughly an hour and upon nearing Riften, I crashed to desktop right outside the entrance to the Black Briar Meadery. Now, it CTDs immediately upon trying to load a save file from the main menu, including autosaves that were created before the initial CTD at Riften. This was my first time traveling to Riften on this character, if that matters. I'm running the Steam version of the game with all DLC installed and ENB and SKSE.

System specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 3630QM @ ~2.4GHz

RAM: 16GB

HDD: 2x 750GB = 1.5TB

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 675M

VRAM: 4GB

BOSS results:

BOSS
Version 2.1.1

======================================
Summary

Plugin Type Count
Recognised (or sorted by user rules) 64
Unrecognised 0
Inactive 3
All 64

Plugin Message Type Count
Warning 0
Error 0
All 10

* Your masterlist is already at the latest revision (r7339; 2013-07-21). No update necessary.
* No change in recognised plugin list since last run.
* Note: Latest BOSS thread ("http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1466541-relz-boss-for-skyrim/")
* Note: The BOSS team has been overwhelmed with the popularity of submissions of unrecognised plugins from the BOSS Log and the number of outstanding unique submissions. As of 2 July 2013 we are at over 7100+ plugins to add to the Masterlist. If you are interested in helping to get these plugins added to BOSS's masterlist, please PM Aellis (Bethesda Softworks Forums ("http://forums.bethsoft.com/user/364024-aellis/") or Nexus Mods ("http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?showuser=65745/")).
* Note: Your SKSE is up-to-date.
* Note: A dynamically created plugin is installed. Please refer to the authors notes for more information on determining the best load order.

SKSE Plugins

SKSE Version: 0.1.6.16

Recognised Plugins

These plugins are recognised by BOSS and have been sorted according to its masterlist. Please read any attached messages and act on any that require action.

Skyrim.esm Active

Update.esm Active
* Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev, Relev}}

Dawnguard.esm Active

HearthFires.esm Active

Dragonborn.esm Active

Falskaar.esm Active

Skyrim Project Optimization - Full Version.esm Active

ClimatesOfTamriel.esm Active

moonpath.esm Active

SPIKE.esm Active

HighResTexturePack01.esp Active

HighResTexturePack02.esp Active

HighResTexturePack03.esp Active

Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp Active

Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp Active

Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp Active

Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp Active
* Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev}}

RevampedExteriorFog.esp Active

SplashofRain.esp

mintylightningmod.esp Active

MintyLightningMod_COT_Patch.esp Active

StaticMeshImprovementMod.esp Active

StaticMeshImprovementMod-DragonbornTernFix.esp Active

83Willows_101BUGS_V4_HighRes.esp Active

Birdsofskyrim.esp Active

Immersive Brigands.esp Active

Immersive Dawnguard.esp Active

Immersive Dragonborn.esp Active

Immersive Factions.esp Active

Immersive Mercenaries.esp Active

Immersive Patrols.esp Active

Immersive Travelers.esp Active

Lanterns on the Roads (50% less lanterns).esp Active

MVABasic.esp Active

ShootingStars.esp Active

DYNAVISION Dynamic Depth of Field.esp Active
* Note: Make sure you have not switched DoF off in your ini file. If you don't see any effect, open you Skyrimprefs.ini and look for 'bDoDepthOfField'. Make sure it is set to 1.

WetandCold.esp Active

WetandCold - Ashes.esp Active

SkyUI.esp Active

hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp Active

ImmersiveArmorsNPCs.esp Active

Dragon Falls Manor.esp Active

hg.esp

Immersive Events.esp Active

moonpath_questdata.esp Active

The Asteria - Dwemer Airship.esp Active

AchieveThat.esp Active

Immersive Weapons.esp Active
* Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev}}

SkyTEST-RealisticAnimals&Predators.esp Active

dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp Active

dD-Dragonborn-Dawnguard-EBT Patch.esp Active

Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Dungeons.esp Active

Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Dawnguard Interiors.esp Active

Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Major City Exteriors.esp Active

Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Major City Interiors.esp Active

Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Minor Cities and Town Interiors.esp Active

ClimatesOfTamriel-Dungeons-Hardcore.esp
* Incompatible with: Realistic Lighting Overhaul

3DNPC.esp Active

wisplicker.esp Active

WATER.esp Active

WATER Plants.esp Active

WATER DB Waves.esp Active

GreenWaterFix_Compatible.esp Active

Automatic Variants.esp Active

Any ideas? I'll try anything, though I'd prefer to make reinstalling a last resort, for simplicity's sake.

I'd read somewhere that setting the uGrids option in Skyrim.ini to above 5 could cause these sorts of CTDs, and until today I'd been using 7 with no issue. First thing I tried was reducing it to 5, but that didn't solve anything. The only other ini edits I can recall making are turning on Depth of Field (required by a mod, worked fine) and setting the FloatPointRender to 1 so I could use ENB (I'm currently running the Cinematic Lighting ENB). I'll attach my ini's in case there's something I missed or forgot about that you good people might notice.

Thanks ya'll, I'm extremely grateful for any and all help! As many of you know as well as I do, 20 hours in is just getting started haha, I'd love to be able to continue this character!

Oh, one last thing I just remembered. When I initially ran BOSS to ensure that everything was all good before getting through an hour of gameplay today, the mod 'Dragon Falls Manor.esp' had quite a few dirty edits, and while cleaning them up in TES5Edit, it reported that 3 Nav meshes couldn't be deleted, or something along those lines, the exact wording escapes me at the moment. I know that's typical for the official DLCs, but would that be of any concern with this problem?

Well its probably one of the mods you installed today so yes i'd try deleting Dragon Falls Manor to see if that helps. Watch out for mods that replace anything or graphics mods which can be resource heavy.

I painstakingly checked each mod's compatibility/requirements as I installed them, and just now went through all of them in NMM reading the readme's one by one, and I still can't find anything out of place in that regard. On the contrary, after attempting to remove various mods from yesterday one by one and testing saves, my problem has worsened! Regardless of which mods I now have active, Skyrim crashes as soon as it hits the main menu, immediately after the Bethesda logo disappears! I'm thinking maybe it's time to just deactivate every mod through NMM, uninstall Skyrim, reinstall Skyrim, then add mods one by one until I find the culprit, or, hopefully, play smoothly with everything installed. This is rather confusing to me, how can something like this just happen after an hour of normal, uninterrupted gameplay with everything working?

Did you properly reload your skyrim.ini when you changed it to 5? You cannot load a saved game where the Ugrid value was higher than the current uGrid value. you can load a game where the saved game was lower, but not higher than what it currently is (hence you probably didnt CTD when you loaded a saved game that had the uGrid value at 5 encoded in the save file). Also, I believe the cell buffers are dependent on what the Ugrids are based, I cant remember the exact calculation.

to revert to a lower value, you need to change your uGrid value back to 7, tab out, change the value back to 5, delete or change the other cell buffers, tab back to Skyrim, use the refreshini command, then save the game.

also I'm assuming you can run a fresh game with no problems?

Edited by drbeavis

Did you properly reload your skyrim.ini when you changed it to 5? You cannot load a saved game where the Ugrid value was higher than the current uGrid value. you can load a game where the saved game was lower, but not higher than what it currently is (hence you probably didnt CTD when you loaded a saved game that had the uGrid value at 5 encoded in the save file). Also, I believe the cell buffers are dependent on what the Ugrids are based, I cant remember the exact calculation.

to revert to a lower value, you need to change your uGrid value back to 7, tab out, change the value back to 5, delete or change the other cell buffers, tab back to Skyrim, use the refreshini command, then save the game.

also I'm assuming you can run a fresh game with no problems?

Wow, that was definitely a mistake on my part! I simply tried reducing it to 5 without following the steps you listed. And yes, I was able to get into a new game just fine. However, for a while I was unable to even access the main menu. Luckily, I found a fix for that by disabling Automatic Variants, which makes me think my configuration with that mod may have had something to do with this whole fiasco.

Anyways, after disabling AV, I loaded up a new game and followed the steps you listed, which caused the horses and carriages in the intro to freak the HELL out (though I'll admit it was a silver lining to see one of the horses fly into the sky at 100mph). So, I quit to main menu and tried loading a broken save. To my pleasure, IT WORKED!!! Thank you so much! I immediately created a new save game and now I don't seem to be having any issues! Though to be fair, I just tested it and closed the game to report back here, so we'll see how it does next time I play for an hour or so, but I'm staying positive. Now, if only I could figure out if something is wrong with my AV that may have caused this, or if the uGrids setting was all I needed to change...

Glad to see it worked and your welcome :) I had this problem myself. Messing with uGrid values is tricky business. I'm not sure about the Automatic Varients issue, but atleast your on the right path to figuring out what may have been the original issue (which you probably fixed somewhere down the line without knowing it because you definately can't load a game with a higher uGrid value than what it currently is.

Yeah, I'm just gonna leave uGrids set to 5 now, the slight graphical boost from setting it to 7 isn't worth the trouble when you start running a lot of mods.

I think I may have solved the AV problem, I noticed that one of it's esp's masters was a file called 'hg.esp', which is a file used for an old version of the Moonpath to Elsweyr mod. Since I've had Skyrim installed on this computer before and just recently reinstalled and got my mods back, I'm guessing it was somehow left over and I never noticed it, but BOSS and the AV compiler sure did. I just deleted hg.esp and recompiled AV, and it's no longer in the list of master's so we'll see if it works alright next time I play for an extended period of time, likely later this evening.

Thanks again, I was worried I'd lose the 20 hours spent on one of my favorite characters to date, so glad I didn't!

Hi, Im having problems with skyrim, I have just installed it onto a BRAND NEW computer and loaded all the mods that I had before plus three mod and now Im having CTD before i even get to the main menu. PLEASE HELP!!

My load order is

Skyrim

Update

Dawnguard

Hearthfire

Dragonborn

Falskaar

ApachiiHair

RaceCompatibility

TCRA

Valkyrie

Macromancy

Serana(seranaholic one)

Convienient Horses

Mystic(elven armor one)

Silverlight Armor

TERAArmors_CBBE

Axe and Pickaxe wieght

A&P weight change only

Lightweight Potions and Poisons

Helmets - Khajiit Ears Hair

P1FlyingRing

mmkhajiithair11

UFO

mayatola UFF

MyOwnRubee

argonianraptor

dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic

Animation set by XP32 (11 of them)

ASIS-Dependency

communitycollege

Kenna v

Tuskenasfollower

Red Sonja Armor

SeranaDrainsSize

TitansWrath

better training

GrowthEncounter

GrowthSpell

MacromancyMerchant

VampiresDrainSize

Lydia - Redemption

Ysolda Replacer (Khajiit one)

the new ones are the Lydia, Kenna and one for the map, Quality Maps

There are no errors by BOSS with the exception of dawnguard, and the offical update