geck navigation

KCarver

I downloaded a mod, a .esp is the only file, it grants an item that is equipped and irremovable until criteria is met. I am trying to get the ID for it so I can re-equip it after it is removed from inventory via console, I cant find the ID in-game and I was poking through geck to try and find it (first-time user) and all the .esp have the exact same files, I have no idea on how to find the particular item. I have already looked at tutorials and other FAQ to figure it out and no luck.

I am hoping for someone to put a step by step for dummies on how to locate a piece of armor's ref or base ID whether in geck or another way.

• 2 months later...

If your using the PC version , just use the ~ button {left of the 1 key and above the Tab key} while playing the game.

When you use this button the game will pause and a very small text cursor pops up in the bottom right side of your screen.

Use your mouse cursor/pointer to point to the object and left click.

The object name {if it has one} and ID number should show up at the top middle of your screen.

While in this mode any and everythng you put the mouse cursor on and left click will give you the name and item / ID number.

Click the ~ button again to return to normal.

I can also explain how to do this using FNVEditer if needed.

Hope this helps

Edited by QuickKeyzz

@QuickKeyzz - Clicking on an object while in the console will show the unique reference ID of that item, not the form ID which is shared by all references of that item. That can't be used to add the item with the console.

What you can do - if you're using NVSE - is click the object in the console and call the GetBaseObject function on it. It is a reference function, so simply clicking on the item while in the console and then typing and executing the command will run it on the item. It also has a shorthand notation, so you can simply type "gbo". Easy as pie.

You can also do it with FOMM. Locate the mod in your load order, right click on it and choose "Open in TESsnip...". This will open a new window where you can navigate and investigate everything contained in that file. If you can find the item and click on it, then you can see the form ID in the right panel. It should be near the top. Remember to replace the first two digits with the mod index from your load order.

Edited by Ladez