Could Someone Please Review my Build?

DressToImpress

There you go, that case will work perfectly. Plus Lian Li is a fantastic brand-their cases are really kinda bland, but their build quality is triple-A. Like a German car.

Windows only takes about 20gb doesn't it?

Windows 7 uses 23.7 GB upon fresh installation on my PC, once you get the drivers and basic stuff (antivirus, web browser, etc.) set up it takes up about 27-28GB And then you need at least 15-20% free space on your partition, with only a basic setup it would require a 40GB SSD just for Windows alone, and that is if you plan to install only the basic stuff and leave it as-is without using it.

Ubuntu, on the other hand, I'd say about 12-15GB is pretty good for a root partition, you can mount a HDD partition for /home so you have a lot of storage. Or just leave home on root and mount important folders like Music and Videos from the HDD through fstab using the bind option, it'll load up the ~/.config and ~/.local from the SSD, making the login and program startup significantly faster by doing so.

In any way, add another 10-12GB for Ubuntu to 40 I mentioned already and you need an SSD with at least 64GB.

As for the processor, I might do some video editing but the main reason I want to get a really good one is because I'm going to make a game in Unity 3D which (I think) requires a good processor. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Unity 3D require at least (but won't run well on) Pentium IV, on Pentium IV it's as slow as sloth and tends to crash a lot. But for running it, along with Compiz 3D effects, my C2D E4500 and Radeon 4350 with proprietary drivers are making it fly. It's only CPU-demanding if you use open-source drivers, and even that can be handled by my CPU.

One last thing, on the case's website it says it supports up to a 140mm PSU. Is the PSU I have now 140mm or less?

Yup, it says standard ATX PS/2 size is supported by the case, and your PSU fits the description.

I wouldn't need any space for the antivirus/web browser etc. on the SSD because I'll put all of that stuff on the HDD.

Also, for Unity, do you need a good CPU for 3d modeling in 3DS Max?

I recommend a mid-range Intel i5 or comparable AMD. A decent CPU is a must even in modern times, for any sort of computer, and shouldn't effect the budget much-I have the beefiest CPU available in my country and it only costs $250 with installation and accessories.

I wouldn't need any space for the antivirus/web browser etc. on the SSD because I'll put all of that stuff on the HDD.

You didn't listen what I said. Even if you just install Windows and Ubuntu alongside it, they cannot fit onto a 32GB SSD. Ubuntu takes up cca 6GB upon installation and Windows takes up 23, that's 29GB total and you get 3GB free If you think that's enough, remember that Windows uses C:/ for dumping config files and bloats the darn thing up pretty quickly.

Not to mention that you cannot install drivers onto any partition other than C:/.

Unity is a desktop environment, just like GNOME, KDE, LXDE, XFCE, MATE, Cinnamon, etc. Ubuntu is the OS.

And run it in Windows, I don't think there's a native 3DS Max for Linux and running it in Wine while having Windows installed would be, well, dumb. Not to mention that it would have pathetic performance compared to running 3DS Max on Win7 or compared to performance of native Linux 3D tools like Blender. Regardless of that, you need a powerful CPU if you intend to sculpt at high poly-counts or make large renders of scenes, doesn't matter which OS or DE it's running on.

Also, after taking a glance at your build, I'd make some suggestions. Personally, I'd go with an AMD CPU, they're less expensive, AMD FX 8350 is cca 200$ around here (4.0GHz 8-core). Then I'd get a mobo with SLI/Crossfire support and 4 RAM slots, also get two cheaper cards that cost less overall than the GeForce 760 you have there, like 2 GeForce 650 cards. I'd also swap out the 2x8GB RAM with 2x4GB since 4GB modules are a lot cheaper than 8GB ones and 16GB RAM is unnecessary.

Unless you're using it for professional 3D works (which I guess you don't, judging by the fact that you got no idea about CPU power in 3D modeling), or you intend to run Crysis 3 on ultra high with uber-HD texture mods, I'd say more than 8GB RAM is unnecessary, so you can go with 2x4GB. If you really want 16, go with 4x4GB, it's usually cheaper than 2x8GB.

With that you get nearly the same thing for less money, it's a bit weaker than what you linked but it would save about 100$ or more to allow for a bigger SSD cause, as I said, 32GB is not even enough for Windows alone.

Delay that, I forgot you need portability, half this stuff can't even fit in your case.

Edited by Werne

As far as Antiviruses go, you dont always have a choice to install it elsewhere. some AV programs need to be installed on C:. like Microsoft Security Essentials for example. at the very least you will be a 64gb SSD. for two operating systems and bloat. and thatll be cutting it close, but should be doable. but honestly, just spend the little extra on a 128gb. youll have to worry a little bit less about bloat, about keeping your drive in perfect shape 24/7 and you can stick a few things on there on top of it. itll be worth it i promise. a 128gb SSD now is >$100.

You didn't listen what I said. Even if you just install Windows and Ubuntu alongside it, they cannot fit onto a 32GB SSD. Ubuntu takes up cca 6GB upon installation and Windows takes up 23, that's 29GB total and you get 3GB free If you think that's enough, remember that Windows uses C:/ for dumping config files and bloats the darn thing up pretty quickly.

Not to mention that you cannot install drivers onto any partition other than C:/.

Unity is a desktop environment, just like GNOME, KDE, LXDE, XFCE, MATE, Cinnamon, etc. Ubuntu is the OS.

And run it in Windows, I don't think there's a native 3DS Max for Linux and running it in Wine while having Windows installed would be, well, dumb. Not to mention that it would have pathetic performance compared to running 3DS Max on Win7 or compared to performance of native Linux 3D tools like Blender. Regardless of that, you need a powerful CPU if you intend to sculpt at high poly-counts or make large renders of scenes, doesn't matter which OS or DE it's running on.

Also, after taking a glance at your build, I'd make some suggestions. Personally, I'd go with an AMD CPU, they're less expensive, AMD FX 8350 is cca 200$ around here (4.0GHz 8-core). Then I'd get a mobo with SLI/Crossfire support and 4 RAM slots, also get two cheaper cards that cost less overall than the GeForce 760 you have there, like 2 GeForce 650 cards. I'd also swap out the 2x8GB RAM with 2x4GB since 4GB modules are a lot cheaper than 8GB ones and 16GB RAM is unnecessary.

Unless you're using it for professional 3D works (which I guess you don't, judging by the fact that you got no idea about CPU power in 3D modeling), or you intend to run Crysis 3 on ultra high with uber-HD texture mods, I'd say more than 8GB RAM is unnecessary, so you can go with 2x4GB. If you really want 16, go with 4x4GB, it's usually cheaper than 2x8GB.

With that you get nearly the same thing for less money, it's a bit weaker than what you linked but it would save about 100$ or more to allow for a bigger SSD cause, as I said, 32GB is not even enough for Windows alone.

Delay that, I forgot you need portability, half this stuff can't even fit in your case.

As far as Antiviruses go, you dont always have a choice to install it elsewhere. some AV programs need to be installed on C:. like Microsoft Security Essentials for example. at the very least you will be a 64gb SSD. for two operating systems and bloat. and thatll be cutting it close, but should be doable. but honestly, just spend the little extra on a 128gb. youll have to worry a little bit less about bloat, about keeping your drive in perfect shape 24/7 and you can stick a few things on there on top of it. itll be worth it i promise. a 128gb SSD now is >$100.

Alright, I found a 64gb SSD for $50 so I'll use that instead.

Also, I know a lot of people are going to disagree with this completely, but I probably won't even install an antivirus. I've had this laptop for almost 4 years, never have had an antivirus, and have never gotten a virus! It just makes annoying popups appear IMHO.

I will have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware which I will scan maybe once a month just to be safe, but nothing like McAfee or Norton.

As for the CPU, I want one that I won't have to replace for a while and can render stuff quickly, so I'll stick with the 4770k I think.

Here's my current build (still subject to change): http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1kJD9

If there's any AMD CPUs or Raedon GPUs that give the same performance or better for cheaper please tell me because I don't know much about those.

Thank you.

lol i would never recommend Norton or McAfee or anything you have to pay for. those are resource hogs and there is freeware that does that same thing if not better

I'd recommend amd 7950 or 7870 or nvidia 670 or 660ti

You don't need an antivirus if you're smart, avoid shady sites, get an adblock and you're good to go. I never ran an antivirus, I'd only scan my PC with Malwarebytes every year when performing full maintenance, never found anything.

If there's any AMD CPUs or Raedon GPUs that give the same performance or better for cheaper please tell me because I don't know much about those.

An AMD CPU with a mobo that can fit inside that case? Hmm, questionable. You may be able to get an AMD with an F1 or F2 socket, I think there are small mobos for that one, a lot cheaper than Core i7 (about half the price or less of i7 4770k, cheaper mobos too) but it's inferior when compared to it.

Though personally, getting an i7 is either making sure that the PC performs as well as possible for as long as it can, or you're trying to compute potato, cause that thing is the most powerful and expensive CPU on the market, no games today can even utilize it fully. You'd be better off with a Core i5 or an older i7, Intel has plenty of small mobos that support good CPUs, AMD not so much.

As for GPUs, I'd stick with Nvidia's 660/670, 770 is just a more powerful GeForce 680, 660/670 series can be clocked well so I'd go with those. I wouldn't get ATI if I were you, you'll be running Linux with, I assume, proprietary drivers and Linux doesn't like ATI drivers much (like using 30-50% CPU on idle without a lot of tweaking, even your i7 4770k would take a beating).

If you want better for cheaper, you'll have to get rid of a small case, then you can go beyond your current limit, like get a cheaper AMD CPU/mobo and get 4 cheap 4GB RAM modules, even SLI two cards if you buy other parts smart. Speaking of which, you can save some money by getting 8GB RAM, 16GB is only useful if you run multiple virtual machines or try to store an antire cow into RAM. Useful if you intent to use RAM as storage space, but as far as I recall, only Debian can utilize that effectively.

You can also save up some money by getting a cheaper PSU, you can get same wattage for half the money. If you think it'll die, I went through 3 PCs, they all had cheap piece of crap PSUs and none of those died in 3 years I used each. One burned out a fuse when I made a short circuit while cutting wires inside the case (while the PC was on, genius) but that's about it.

You don't need an antivirus if you're smart, avoid shady sites, get an adblock and you're good to go. I never ran an antivirus, I'd only scan my PC with Malwarebytes every year when performing full maintenance, never found anything.

An AMD CPU with a mobo that can fit inside that case? Hmm, questionable. You may be able to get an AMD with an F1 or F2 socket, I think there are small mobos for that one, a lot cheaper than Core i7 (about half the price or less of i7 4770k, cheaper mobos too) but it's inferior when compared to it.

Though personally, getting an i7 is either making sure that the PC performs as well as possible for as long as it can, or you're trying to compute potato, cause that thing is the most powerful and expensive CPU on the market, no games today can even utilize it fully. You'd be better off with a Core i5 or an older i7, Intel has plenty of small mobos that support good CPUs, AMD not so much.

As for GPUs, I'd stick with Nvidia's 660/670, 770 is just a more powerful GeForce 680, 660/670 series can be clocked well so I'd go with those. I wouldn't get ATI if I were you, you'll be running Linux with, I assume, proprietary drivers and Linux doesn't like ATI drivers much (like using 30-50% CPU on idle without a lot of tweaking, even your i7 4770k would take a beating).

If you want better for cheaper, you'll have to get rid of a small case, then you can go beyond your current limit, like get a cheaper AMD CPU/mobo and get 4 cheap 4GB RAM modules, even SLI two cards if you buy other parts smart. Speaking of which, you can save some money by getting 8GB RAM, 16GB is only useful if you run multiple virtual machines or try to store an antire cow into RAM. Useful if you intent to use RAM as storage space, but as far as I recall, only Debian can utilize that effectively.

You can also save up some money by getting a cheaper PSU, you can get same wattage for half the money. If you think it'll die, I went through 3 PCs, they all had cheap piece of crap PSUs and none of those died in 3 years I used each. One burned out a fuse when I made a short circuit while cutting wires inside the case (while the PC was on, genius) but that's about it.

I think I found a really nice CPU, it's the Intel Xeon 1230 v2.

It's slightly cheaper than the i5 4670k ($1 ;p), with better performance plus it has hyperthreading!

Here's the 4670k vs the 1230 v2: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Xeon-E3-1230V2-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4670K

The only bad thing is it is locked, but I wasn't planning on overclocking anyway, and if I did I would probably overclock the GPU instead.

About the PSU, could you recommend me one maybe?

The case I'm getting supports standard ATX PS/2 size PSUs, and I would like at least 600 watts just to be safe.

Thank you.

Edited by DressToImpress