Modding Has Ruined Skyrim.

RS13

I wouldn't use imaginator for one. some are fine with it, and alot have problems. but it's up to you.

and in my personal experience CoT always has caused issues but thats just for me it seems ;c

Have you tried playing with Skyrim Performance Monitor? to see if it's actually a memory problem.

without payprus logs, i don't know how to really help you figure out which mod is causing this. but even if it doesn't show the entire report

of when Exactly the game crashed. it will still show tons of error reports which is still helpful bc they contribute to this.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@RS13, Out of curiosity are you overclocking your game rig at all? I noticed in my vanilla game that my overclock was stable but the moment I added in just one mod...BAM , Crash to Desktop at seemingly random intervals ( lucky if I made it to an hour!) . Funny part is the only thing I had overclocked at the time was my system Ram and just by 33 MHz .....but it was enough to send Skyrim into total conniption!

@Fikhan: Nope, no overclocking.

@fifteenspades: I haven't had any problems that I'd attribute directly to imaginator. I could try to get by without it, but I've had problems when I wasn't using it also, so I doubt it's that.

EDIT: Also, I have used a performance monitor. I don't think I've ever gone over 2GB of either Ram or VRam

Edited by RS13

Unload all the mods, then load up a save game from the modded game. Then create a new save. Now re-enable the mods. Don't re-enable the unofficial patches. Save in game again.

Also check that your anti-virus isn't scanning your game or saves(passively in secret) while you are playing.

A common complication with the DRM nowadays is that the DRM scans for programs on your computer with certain behaviors and shuts down your Skyrim.exe if it detects those programs.

Make sure you have all emulators or disc copying programs, such as Nero removed from your computer.

Also the game engine that Skyrim uses may be similar to oblivion's. If such is true, the game engine is tailored to run off windows XP and thus Windows 7 or 8 on your computer is emulating windows XP in the background causing potential errors, because emulation between the 2 OS's is not exact and the DRM may see the background emulation as a potential threat and shut down Skyrim.exe.

I have taken the step of setting Windows 7 to "Basic", so that it looks like windows 98, because the windows 7 graphical overlay may cause issues.

Also there are many "innocent" background programs left on most computers by the motherboard manufacturers. Finding those programs and removing them can help the computer/game not crash as well.

I'm not sure if Dynavision and Imaginator should be running at the same time, might cause crashes(conjecture though).

Also any mods related to custom race should possibly be deactivated, as they can cause crashes.

The link below, has a long post by me helping end Fallout 3 crashing and may possibly be helpful:

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/778617-frequent-crash-to-desktop/

Edited by pleasenoname

This may not be the right time for you to do this but it's time to replace Nexus Mod Manager with Mod Organizer.

It keeps each mod and all the files it uses in completely separate folders and builds a virtual folder that the games uses when it starts (it does this very, very quickly).

It allows you to remove a mod and every file with absolute surety that no changes made by a mod remain (very useful when checking out a new mod and you decide it's not good for you).

When two mods conflict by both updating a file or files you can select which mod wins and you can change that if you realize the other mod should win.

You can see an exact list of which files are overwritten by other mods and what mod is doing that overwrite, very helpful in finding and resolving conflicts.

It allows you to install multiple versions of a single mod so you can switch between the versions yet instantly revert if you decide the new version is not acceptable.

It allows you to set up multiple profiles with each profile having it's own set of active mods and can also have their own set of save games.

It is not as easy to use as NMM but it's worth the extra effort (I always use the "Manual Install" option and make sure I have the right folder selected as the data folder when I install. (You can also add folders, remove folders and move files to other folders or not install them as part of the manual install which is really helpful when installing optional files that are packaged with the mod) .

When you remove a mod from a game you can examine the save game files and see exactly which mods are no longer present (also useful when rebuilding since you can see what additional mods you have yet to restore).

It really, really helps when you run into the kind of problems RS13 is talking about because you can disable any mod and have it like you completely uninstalled it and yet reenable it with only a few clicks if you decide it was not the problem.

P.S. I read the whole thread and I seriously can't see any obvious problems but I didn't cross reference every mod against their list of conflicting mods and my suspicion is that the root problem lies in two mods who have a serious conflict with each other. With a Mod Organizer setup AND if those mods are conflicting at a file level you might at least be able to detect that conflict.

You might want to run through this thread http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/458221-skyrim-fix-random-crash-to-desktop-no-error/ to see if anything recommended there rings a bell.

Best of luck in getting this fixed, nothing is more frustrating than random crashes.

Edited by WaxenFigure

Thanks for the help guys, but I'm thinking my title was correct. I uninstalled everything and started over with 53 esps that I just couldn't do without. I cut some of my favorites (including Lock Overhaul, Deadly Dragons, Royal Bloodline, and Locational Damage) out. I still couldn't get more than an hour in on my first playthrough. So, I'm pretty sure that's it: I'm just done with Skyrim.

Edited by RS13

It was the developers who ruined Skyrim... thier lack of ambition in certain areas and bowing down to the console and casual gamer made the game bland where it could have been great, mods fix some of these problems.

Why do you think you are having these problems when the rest of us are not?

I have about 140 mods, 7 Grids and ferocious ini tweaks, but I don't have any of your problems.

This may not be the right time for you to do this but it's time to replace Nexus Mod Manager with Mod Organizer.

It keeps each mod and all the files it uses in completely separate folders and builds a virtual folder that the games uses when it starts (it does this very, very quickly).

It allows you to remove a mod and every file with absolute surety that no changes made by a mod remain (very useful when checking out a new mod and you decide it's not good for you).

When two mods conflict by both updating a file or files you can select which mod wins and you can change that if you realize the other mod should win.

You can see an exact list of which files are overwritten by other mods and what mod is doing that overwrite, very helpful in finding and resolving conflicts.

It allows you to install multiple versions of a single mod so you can switch between the versions yet instantly revert if you decide the new version is not acceptable.

It allows you to set up multiple profiles with each profile having it's own set of active mods and can also have their own set of save games.

It is not as easy to use as NMM but it's worth the extra effort (I always use the "Manual Install" option and make sure I have the right folder selected as the data folder when I install. (You can also add folders, remove folders and move files to other folders or not install them as part of the manual install which is really helpful when installing optional files that are packaged with the mod) .

When you remove a mod from a game you can examine the save game files and see exactly which mods are no longer present (also useful when rebuilding since you can see what additional mods you have yet to restore).

It really, really helps when you run into the kind of problems RS13 is talking about because you can disable any mod and have it like you completely uninstalled it and yet reenable it with only a few clicks if you decide it was not the problem.

P.S. I read the whole thread and I seriously can't see any obvious problems but I didn't cross reference every mod against their list of conflicting mods and my suspicion is that the root problem lies in two mods who have a serious conflict with each other. With a Mod Organizer setup AND if those mods are conflicting at a file level you might at least be able to detect that conflict.

You might want to run through this thread http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/458221-skyrim-fix-random-crash-to-desktop-no-error/ to see if anything recommended there rings a bell.

Best of luck in getting this fixed, nothing is more frustrating than random crashes.

is it odd i use both NMM and MO at the same time? some mods i only have installed with NMM some with MO.

Mostly because sometimes when i try to install a mod with MO it says "no data at top level" then when i get it to accept it finally

the mod just doesn't install correctly at all. so atm only way i have gotten past that is to install it with NMM. then install it with MO even if it doesn't work with MO

Just so i can check it in the esp list. and ever since using MO i cannot get enhanced blood textures or any blood textures to work.

The body takes the added blood and the weapon also does. but getting blood on the terrain is impossible ;o.

If it keeps crashing with those 53 esp's you can't live without then, it's obvious that they are causing this. care to post another BOSS load with just those 53. and make sure it's a new game

not one you have uninstalled mods before in it.

Edited by fifteenspades