660 x2 versus 780

I have a GTX 660 GC at the moment. The 'GC' indicates that it's the factory overlocked Galaxy version, with 4-10% improved performance over stock, according to benchmarks.

I'm not upgrading for a couple years, by which time the GTX 800 series will probably have released. When I do upgrade, would a new motherboard plus another GTX 660 GC in SLI be better, or would my current motherboard with a GTX 880 be a more efficient balance of cost/performance?

Please no AMD suggestions; I know they have some great cards, but hardware PhysX and simple downsampling would be too much to lose in my opinion.

it all depends how good the 800 series is. but my guess is that a second 600 will benefit you more then a single good card. most of the time 2 > 1 but again it all depends how good that 800 series is and what kind of power games coming out then need.

also you can run Physx with an AMD card through your CPU. ive been playing borderlands 2 with a 7950 and a 3750k set Physx to high and it runs perfectly.

also you can run Physx with an AMD card through your CPU. ive been playing borderlands 2 with a 7950 and a 3750k set Physx to high and it runs perfectly.

I know, but I prefer to have the option to keep the PhysX on the video card, or to switch it to the CPU as optimization demands.

it all depends how good the 800 series is. but my guess is that a second 600 will benefit you more then a single good card. most of the time 2 > 1 but again it all depends how good that 800 series is and what kind of power games coming out then need.

Running a second card almost always brings a new set of problems. In most cases, games don't get SLI/Crossfire support until months after the game is released so you will be playing a game for a while without using that second gpu. Chances are, your 660 GC will no longer exist as a new purchase by the time you do the upgrade and will have to look for a used or refurbished card and that can open up a whole different can of worms. Most system builders will suggest the best single gpu solution over a multi-gpu solution unless you plan to game at ultra-high resolutions.

I would suggest any Intel Z87 Chipset motherboard over $150 USD and a new CPU upgrade (highly recommend the i7-4770K a beast at overclocking)

By that time, and the state of 90% of the games to come to PC (probs ported from console), a 770/780 or 860/870 for example will be all you need... A good CPU is important for many games that are on the market or coming out and of course Physx and CUDA are important... I would only say get ATI/AMD if you are running 3 or 6 monitors with crossfire cards :P

I'd take one 780 over 2x660 without blinking.

2x670, that's different.

hardware PhysX and simple downsampling would be too much to lose in my opinion.

PhysX is quite firmly on the way out. What little is left usually plays fine on CPU.

"Simple downsampling" - not sure what's meant.

Point is, planning so far in advance is pointless. How do you know you'll 1) want the 880 - it might well flop, 2) be able to afford it - what if it's $1,199?

(highly recommend the i7-4770K a beast at overclocking)

? 4770K is one of the least overclockable CPU on the market today. It starts out at 3.9 and it runs 4.3 decently, tops out at 4.5. That's a mere 10% sustained o/c.

It gets to the point where 4770 can be considered better for its features that are disabled on the "K" series. And then the cheaper and over a year old i7-3820 remains as good or better.

That's not to say an upgrade isn't useful or high priority, it is, but 4770K is hardly the choice to go for.

I'd take one 780 over 2x660 without blinking.

2x670, that's different.

PhysX is quite firmly on the way out. What little is left usually plays fine on CPU.

I don't agree that PhysX is on the way out, looking at recent releases like Borderlands 2, Hawken, Warframe, or Arkham City. The Witcher 3 is already supposed to make use of PhysX. It's being used now more than ever.

And it's quite easy to set up a downsample resolution from 1440p (or higher) to 1080p, in less than 30 seconds with an Nvidia card.

And mind, I'm not asking whether 2x660s would outperform a 780 or an 880; I'm asking whether it would be a greater return relative to the cost, rather than simply selling my current 660 for a fraction of the original price.

Edited by Rennn

Running a second card almost always brings a new set of problems. In most cases, games don't get SLI/Crossfire support until months after the game is released so you will be playing a game for a while without using that second gpu. Chances are, your 660 GC will no longer exist as a new purchase by the time you do the upgrade and will have to look for a used or refurbished card and that can open up a whole different can of worms. Most system builders will suggest the best single gpu solution over a multi-gpu solution unless you plan to game at ultra-high resolutions.

A 660 GC will exist as a new purchase for a long while. The GTX 460 GC that I upgraded from a year ago is still available new, and it released in like 2010.

The lack of SLI support itself is more worrisome.

Edited by Rennn

Point is, planning so far in advance is pointless. How do you know you'll 1) want the 880 - it might well flop, 2) be able to afford it - what if it's $1,199?

Yeah. . . not even close.

Borderlands 2, Crysis 3, The Witcher 3, Metro 2033, Metro Last LIght, Warframe, Watchdogs, and Hawken are just the new (or soon to be released) games which I can name off the top of my head that are using Phys-X more than ever before. I have no clue where you'd get the idea that it's on the way out.

Planning in advance is basically pointless, though. It depends entirely on the price and performance of the GTX 880, which hasn't released yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_hardware-accelerated_PhysX_support

to be honest, thats not a lot of games. a few big titles as you mention. but thats about it.

imo, its not reason enough to by nvidia specifically for Physx, not when you can put it on the CPU and be fine. (that doesnt mean you should buy nvidia, im just saying Physx alone isnt enough reason)