Should hate speech be protected as free speech?

kvnchrist

Maybe it's because I'm not an emotional person, I've been called callus many times, people misunderstand its not because I don't care. Its because I know too much about the way the world works, I have read five different holy books from many different religions, then examined their backgrounds thoroughly from all sides. Then I examined the science behind the human body and mind, I eventually arrived at the conclusion that there exists several states in the Human Brain. Emotion, Reason, Logic forming what is known as Rationality. For example, if I find something that makes sense, does it make sense emotionally or logically, and if so, is it reasonable to the extent that it is rational. This is the problem with hate crimes, where do you draw the line, on peoples thinking and thoughts.

I think the problem with people is their emotions rule them, I've never been offended by words, because I know all they are is sound waves created by vibrations that osculate through the air. Most words are merely adjectives that describe a noun so why should I be offended. I can comprehend the rationality behind it, but I'm incapable of understanding the reasoning behind it, simply because of the instance I've already mentioned above this sentence.

With reference to this problem it depends on the parameters that the person has constructed in their mind, for instance, someone, at anytime or place can go and kill anyone they want to, they don't actually need a reason for doing so, they basically need justification. The thing with the Human Brain is you have to look at it like the digital programming of a computer, if the binary code that is already in existence, conflicts with the current data being written the machine either creates errors, or will attempt to modify it, to make it compatible with its own database.

The problem with this is emotion is not reasonable, and logic is not rational, therefore you need both, using one over the other is where arguments are formed. Here is two perspectives I present, base on the heuristic I've introduced above, which do you believe creates a reasonable and rational morality for people to begin to follow.

Now depending on your current belief, you will either rebuff one of these, incorporate it into your databank, or you will suffer Cognitive Dissonance. It doesn't matter what is true or not, demonstrating once again that proof is not a synonym of truth, it is all conditional on the data you are willing to contain. As a result of the collective Information I have acquired, I must deduce that hate crimes, are comparable to trying to capture the cumulative atmosphere. :geek:

One of these, appears to compose people like robots waiting to be programmed, the other one everyone knows.

Edited by Hardwaremaster

I am sure they are interesting, but, I don't have 2 hours to sit and watch them....... Brief synopsis please?

My apologies for the late reply, I had to change the second video as it wasn't the correct one I had in mind for this example, the first one is a scientific perspective the other one is religious, but basically its the Blank Slate Theory.

Edited by Hardwaremaster

There are some serious holes in that theory though..... Of course, I don't agree with all the conclusions reached in the wiki article.... Mainly, parents having no responsiblity if their children turn out bad.... Blank slate assumes peoples values are formed by their environment, who has the most control over that? The parents......

• 3 weeks later...

This is sort of weird time to respond to a comment that's about a month old, but your comment reminded me of a video I saw a long time ago. That also took me a long time to actually find, somewhere on YouTube, addressing the issue of the Blank Slate Theory which can arguably tread a fine line between Eugenics, Science and Hate Speech.

The videos are in three parts, ten minutes each, totaling thirty minutes in total, I'm only going to be posting one. If you want to watch the rest you will have to find them on YouTube, I found that they covered the problems in that particular theory, and how it is often misused. Also on a related topic, your comment only further enforced the point I made a while back. "That It doesn't matter what is true or not, demonstrating once again that proof is not a synonym of truth, it is all conditional on the data you are willing to contain." I'm also going to be linking a video, that sort of expounds, the point of this thread, about the difference and relation between Hate Speech and Free Speech.

I think most people regard Eugenics as the origin of Hate Speech so it's difficult to tell where one starts and ends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao8W2tPujeE

Edited by Hardwaremaster

I don't really care that much if someone is a racist, even if they personally hate me because of my race. I don't have to associate with them. I don't get why so many concern themselves with trying to change the views and thought processes of others. The ones who try to impose their views on others, in my opinion are more dangerous than most of racists are.

I couldn't give a damn less about making the world a better place for "Humanity", nor would I use that as a facade to impose my views on others.

If a person tells me they don't like White people, and don't want to be around White people, then why should I care? Am I supposed to have some sort of emotional knee jerk reaction after hearing those comments?

Edited by Beriallord

Apparently the prevailant theory is that if you're not white you can't be racist.

Personally I think the whole thing's stupid as there's only one human race.

There's more genetic diversity in a group of chimps in Africa than there is in the whole human race but our ability to hate each other far outstrips theirs.