CTD on Save becoming Unbearable

JimCass98

Hello. Well, now I have an issue with Skyrim that basically makes the game unplayable. I've had this issue for a few months now, however it wasn't as frequent as what happened today. The issue is that whenever I autosave, quicksave, or manual save, the game instantly crashes to desktop without saving my progress. If I then proceed to go into my saves folder, the type of save I just did is there, however it is a .tmp file. If I delete the .tmp and convert it into .ess, it shows up in my game however if I should load it all I get is an endless loading screen. Before, the solution was simply to double load(load a save before you had the CTD on save bug, and then load the save with the bug). This would fix the problem for a good few days. When it came back, all I needed to do was this or just simply reload a save before the bug ever occurred. However, today this glitch/bug/issue whatever you want to call it has become unbearable. If I'm lucky, I can play 5 minutes without it happening. No matter what I do, in 2-5 minutes it reoccurs again. I've tried verifying my Steam cache, manually chaning the files, the kill/save process, the save cleaner, and nearly everything else that I could find online. Nothing works. It makes me want to rip my hair out because I literally can't play 2 minutes without it crashing. The only other thing I see that would work is COMPLETELY uninstalling the game and reinstalling it, but if there is ANY other way, I'd much rather go with this. I'll give this topic a few hours, and if I get no responses or no helpful response, than I'm calling it quits and reinstalling my entire game and mods. This is going to be a major pain in the ass and I'm not even sure if it'll fix it. I'll post my load order below, and my ini's for the hell of it. If ANYONE knows a fix to this, PLEASE respond. I'm assuming that when I reinstall I'll have to delete all my characters or at least move them from the save folder to keep just as a reminder. Like I said, anyone with ANY clue on what to do, please respond to this. I'd really, really appreciate it. Thank you.

• Skyrim.esm Active
    Update.esm Active
    Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev, Relev}}
    Dawnguard.esm Active
    HearthFires.esm Active
    Dragonborn.esm Active
    Falskaar.esm Active
    ApachiiHair.esm Active
    ApachiiHairFemales.esm Active
    ApachiiHairMales.esm Active
    3rdEraWeaponsMoS.esm Active
    ClimatesOfTamriel.esm Active
    Dual Wield for Followers.esm Active
    ETaC - RESOURCES.esm Active
    JSwords.esm Active
    Warning: This file contains unexpected (or out of order) records and should be removed.
    Ket_ARMONIZER_v2.esm Active
    LevelersTower.esm Active
    Omegared99-Compilation.esm Active
    SPIKE.esm Active
    Brawl Bugs CE.esp Active
    Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp Active
    sh_hf_hjaal_fix.esp Active
    sh_hf_pale_fix.esp
    Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp Active
    Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp Active
    Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp Active
    Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev}}
    EveryVampireEyesGrow.esp Active
    Note: This mod will not be compatible with any mods that alter humanoid(imperial, breton, nord, redguard) race. Also, not compatible with mods that have Babette's facegendata(0001D4B7.NIF).
    Chesko_Frostfall.esp Active
    LIAT - Sounds.esp Active
    AK- Buyable Paintings and Pictures.esp Active
    Auto Unequip Helmet.esp Active
    AV1Dragon_Lords.esp Active
    BellyachesNewDragonSpecies.esp Active
    CrossbowsRevamped.esp Active
    CS_TagAndTrack.esp Active
    Guard Build (HF) 1.esp Active
    HigherLevelEnemies.esp Active
    Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Relev}}
    Immersive Patrols Merged.esp Active
    LIAT - NPCs.esp Active
    UnlimitedBookshelves.esp Active
    Lost Art of the Blacksmith.esp Active
    More Craftables.esp Active
    Perks Unbound.esp Active
    Perks Unbound - Dawnguard.esp Active
    Perks Unbound - Dragonborn.esp Active
    skyBirds - Airborne Perching Birds.esp Active
    SleepingDangers-SandsofTime.esp Active
    Skyrim Immersive Creatures.esp Active
    Skyrim Immersive Creatures - DLC2.esp Active
    Tytanis.esp Active
    ValsCraftingMeltdownAlpha.esp Active
    Convenient Horses.esp Active
    Auto Unequip Ammo.esp Active
    Dragon Soul Relinquishment.esp Active
    RaceMenu.esp Active
    RaceMenuPlugin.esp Active
    Note: RaceMenuPlugin is optional and provides support to alter Height, Breast, Glute and Biceps. If you experience issues with it, disable RaceMenuPlugin.esp and inform the author.
    RaceMenuOverlays.esp Active
    SkyTweak.esp Active
    WetandCold.esp Active
    SkyUI.esp Active
    AMB Glass Variants Lore.esp Active
    BlackSacramentArmor.esp Active
    BosmerArmorMATY743.esp Active
    Cloaks.esp Active
    Craftable Artifacts.esp Active
    daedric_phelm.esp Active
    DK_Armor_By_Hothtrooper44.esp Active
    DragonBoneEbonsteel.esp Active
    Evil MasterMind Armor.esp Active
    hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp Active
    isilNarsil.esp Active
    Ket_WEAPONIZER.esp Active
    Knight Of Thorns Armor.esp Active
    Lich King's Armor.esp Active
    lilithsobliterator3_0.esp Active
    LPotD Armor.esp Active
    LpotDHorse.esp
    Omegared99-WeaponSets.esp Active
    orderoflagrieshadow.esp Active
    3rdEraWeapMoS-lvlList.esp Active
    HarvestOverhaulDawnguardDragonborn.esp Active
    HarvestOverhaulCreaturesDawnguardHearthfireDragonborn.esp Active
    Lock Overhaul.esp Active
    DeadlyDragons.esp Active
    ERSO 03 - Nightmare Mighty Dragons Unleveled DD.esp Active
    Note: Use only one ERSO 03 esp.
    ERSO 03.3 - Nightmare Dawnguard Dragons.esp Active
    Note: Use only one ERSO 03.3 esp.
    ERSO 03.4 - Nightmare Dragonborn Dragons.esp Active
    Note: Use only one ERSO 03.4 esp.
    DeadlyDragonsArmory.esp Active
    ERSO 04 - Mighty Odahviing.esp Active
    ERSO 04.2 - Mighty Durnehviir.esp Active
    ERSO 07 - Nightmare Dragon Priests.esp Active
    Note: Use only one ERSO 07 esp.
    BetterDarkBrotherhood.esp Active
    Warning: This file contains 2 deleted NavMesh records that TES5Edit cannot repair automatically and it may cause problems with your game. NavMesh deletions should be reported to the mod author. A guide to repairing NavMesh deletions with TES5Edit is located here.
    FM - Heljarchen Library.esp
    FM - Windstad Library.esp
    HearthfireMultiKid.esp Active
    Inconsequential NPCs.esp Active
    My Home Is Your Home.esp Active
    quest_pitfighter.esp Active
    quest_pitfighter_dlc01.esp Active
    ShezriesHFKitchenHel.esp
    ShezriesWinstadHearthfireKitchen.esp
    The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp Active
    AchieveThat.esp Active
    Civil War Overhaul.esp Active
    Immersive Weapons.esp Active
    Ket_ARMONIZER_LListsNPC.esp Active
    dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp Active
    dD-Dragonborn-Dawnguard-EBT Patch.esp Active
    Skyrim Unlimited Rings And Amulets.esp Active
    aMidianborn_Skyforge_Weapons.esp Active
    ETaC - Villages Complete.esp Active
    ETaC - Morthal.esp Active
    Contains dirty edits: 31 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
    Helgen Reborn.esp Active
    Populated Cities 2.esp Active
    ClimatesOfTamriel-Interiors-Warm.esp Active
    Incompatible with: Realistic Lighting Overhaul
    ClimatesOfTamriel-Nights-Level-4.esp Active
    RealisticNeedsandDiseases.esp Active
    RND_Dawnguard-Patch.esp Active
    RND_HearthFires-Patch.esp Active
    RND_USKP-Patch.esp Active
    RND_Dragonborn-Patch.esp Active
    Predator Vision.esp Active
    Brevi_MoonlightTales.esp
    WerewolfMastery.esp Active
    WerewolfPerksExpanded_1.6.esp Active
    WerewolfPerksExpanded_1.6b.esp Active
    Apocalypse - The Spell Package.esp Active
    MidasSkyrim.esp Active
    ConjurationMadnessModv1.esp Active
    conjure_chest.esp Active
    GriptzionTeleportMenuSpell_DLC.esp Active
    Phenderix's Magic Evolved No Perks.esp Active
    Note: Obsolete. Update to latest version, Phenderix's Magic Evolved - Cleaned.
    Note: Reported about some versions of this plugin cause frequent crashes. Use with caution and update to latest version. If You don't see frequent crashes in your game then ignore this message.
    EnchantThreeEffects.esp Active
    TotalConjuration.esp Active
    Improved Dragon Shouts.esp Active
    Improved Dragon Shouts - Dawnguard.esp Active
    Improved Dragon Shouts - Dragonborn.esp Active
    BetterMagic_FULL.esp Active
    dovahkiinrelax.esp Active
    Artifact Disenchanting.esp Active
    Artifact Disenchanting - Dawnguard.esp Active
    Artifact Disenchanting - Dragonborn.esp Active
    Enchant Plus.esp Active
    FormsEdit.esp Active
    Duel - Combat Realism.esp Active
    Note: Obsolete. Update to latest version.
    DragonCombatOverhaulDragonborn.esp Active
    The Dance of Death - Ultimate Edition.esp Active
    Sneak Tools.esp Active
    Sneak Tools Vanilla Hoods.esp
    Sneak Tools Vanilla Masks.esp
    SmithingTreeDG.esp Active
    HeartBreaker.esp Active
    ApachiiHairStyles.esp Active
    ApachiiHairStylesELVES.esp Active
    Blaze Of Eventide.esp Active
    KhajiitChildren.esp
    AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp Active
    Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp Active
    Height Adjusted Races with True Giants.esp Active
    Note: Use only one Height Adjusted Races*.esp.
    ThatsRacist.esp Active
    TTYM - Think to Yourself Messages.esp Active
    GreenWaterFix_v2withDawnguard.esp Active
    Bards&Merchants.esp Active
    ajd_dommoreadoptionchoices.esp Active
    QuieterDogs.esp
    GR123 Knights Templar.esp Active
    Dogs-of-Skyrim.esp Active
    HireableHousecarlHearth.esp Active
    Killable Lootable Children for Hearthfires.esp Active
    firstDragonbornMiraak.esp Active
    TheRealFrost.esp
    TES Music - Oblivion and Morrrowind Soundtrack.esp Active
    SkyHavenTempleEnhanced.esp Active
    Bashed Patch, 0.esp Active

Ini Files

Skyrim.Ini

[General]
sLanguage=ENGLISH

uExterior Cell Buffer=36

[Display]
fShadowLODMaxStartFade=1000.0
fSpecularLODMaxStartFade=2000.0
fLightLODMaxStartFade=3500.0
iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=2048
bAllowScreenshot=1

[Audio]
fMusicDuckingSeconds=6.0
fMusicUnDuckingSeconds=8.0
fMenuModeFadeOutTime=3.0
fMenuModeFadeInTime=1.0

[Grass]
bAllowCreateGrass=1
bAllowLoadGrass=0

[GeneralWarnings]
SGeneralMasterMismatchWarning=One or more plugins could not find the correct versions of the master files they depend on. Errors may occur during load or game play. Check the "Warnings.txt" file for more information.

[Archive]
sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa
sResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa

[Combat]
fMagnetismStrafeHeadingMult=0.0
fMagnetismLookingMult=0.0

[Papyrus]
fUpdateBudgetMS=800.0
fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=800.0
MinMemoryPageSize=256
iMaxMemoryPageSize=512
iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=153600
bEnableLogging=0
bEnableTrace=0
bLoadDebugInformation=0
[Water]
bReflectLODObjects=0
bReflectLODLand=1
bReflectSky=0
bReflectLODTrees=0
IMinMemoryPageSize=100000
IMaxMemoryPageSize=5000000
IMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=1800000000

SkyrimPrefs.Ini

[General]
fBrightLightColorB=1.0000
fBrightLightColorG=1.0000
fBrightLightColorR=1.0000
iStoryManagerLoggingEvent=-1
bEnableStoryManagerLogging=0
[imagespace]
bDoDepthOfField=1
iRadialBlurLevel=0
[Display]
iBlurDeferredShadowMask=0
fInteriorShadowDistance=0.0000
fShadowDistance=0.0000
iShadowMapResolutionSecondary=1024
iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=2048
iShadowSplitCount=2
iMaxAnisotropy=1
fLeafAnimDampenDistEnd=4600.0000
fLeafAnimDampenDistStart=3600.0000
fTreesMidLODSwitchDist=3600.0000
fGamma=1.0000
fDecalLOD2=1500.0000

Converting a tmp to an ess doesn't turn your partial, overwritten, corrupted save into a full, clean one.

I suggest first you try to go backward and try to find a full save that will load for you from before all these save problems happened.

Then, disable autosaves and quick saves. Do not use them at all.

Both of these only overwrite the previous save with the changes, which greatly increase the chance of corruption. Also, autosaves may save in the middle of a script execution, which will make your game crash.

One you get used to only making full, manual saves in a new slot every time, you will not consider it immersion breaking, you will barely notice you are doing it, like having to click a few buttons to open your inventory and change your weapon.

If you can not find a stable working old full save, I believe your only choice is to start again.

You could try just starting a new game without rebuilding your mods/reinstalling skyrim, since the problem is very likely related to your savegame, starting a new game may help.

I would strongly suggest getting the cleaned/updated versions of Jswords, and Phenderix though. The ones you have can cause major problems and may be related to your crashing to begin with.

It's not that I consider full saving immersion breaking, it's that quicksaving becomes very addicting and easy rather than manual/full saving. As for autosaves/quicksaves, I probably could live without quicksaves but for me it's honestly very difficult. We'll see how it goes. I'm guessing that this is either due to A. The Skyrim Save Cleaner or B. A continuing bug in my save games. I only started having this issue when I started using the Save Cleaner. I know it's not related to ONE character because it's happened on 3 so far, but the frequency of it is only on my current character.

Anyways, I uninstalled Boss, Wyrebash, and Tes5edit. I made a backup of NMM's mod file and I'm going to uninstall that as soon as I deactivate all mods. I also deleted some unecessary mods(one of which were Phenderix Magic Evolved). I will get the new, cleanest version of Jswords. I guess I HAVE to reinstall Skyrim, so I made a folder where I put my characters to "rest in peace" in. I'm going to delete my save file, and everything(I backed up the .ini's just in case). Hopefully this fixes it. But I've had Whiterun and Dawnstar corruption as well(constant crashing/freezing) so I'm hoping this reinstall will fix this. Anyways, thank you for your Help and I'll post here in a few days and see if the crashing on save persists or not. I'm probably going to spend all night cleaning mods and installing all these programs. Thanks again, and wish me luck. Cheers.

(P.S. I'll start using the manual save more. We'll see how it goes).

I'll definetly check out that mod. I read about it and it seems very useful. So basically it replaces autosaves by NOT allowing overwriting and by making a MANUAL save instead of a regular save? IF so then that's extremely useful. As for the save cleaner, I uninstalled it because I see no difference in my save files and I believe this as the cause of MANY issues in my game. I also uninstalled Phenderix, some other mods I didn't require, and pretty much everything else. Now, I have to wait for Steam to install the game for me, and then I have to clean all my mods, reinstall them and so on. Just saying that makes me stressed out LOL. But thank you for your help. If you have any other advice/tips, feel free to leave them here. By the way, I have one question. The old save files I had, I copied OUT of my save folder and put them in another folder on the desktop so I don't lose the memories. Will does keep my progress or not? Because if the saves are the issue, then I want to start fresh. If I have to, I can delete them off my computer for good but I'd much rather keep that as a reminder(not for playability purposes).

Well it is too late, it seems, but I usually suggest using the STEP revert to vanilla procedure--it is more thorough and faster than the old-fashioned way. Sorry, next time you may want to look at that....

As for your save files, they are little containers of your misery. If you try to open then in a new game, you will introduce those sorrows back into your game. If you want to keep them as mementos without opening them, if a separate folder they wont do any harm, as long as you can resist the urge to just have a look....sorry, I think everyone on this board has had a painful goodbye to a game/character due to an untimely file issue.

Once you get your game started and it is working, if you ever do notice something like a savegame corruption (sudden crash on load, or on save, or other weird behavior seemingly out of the blue), the best way to deal with it is to immediately go back to your last full save, and see if that clears it up. Good luck!

Thanks, you've been a real help. As for the characters, I put them in a completely seperate folder to serve as a memory. I don't intend on using them, but I do intend on keeping them as a memento of sorts. I already lost 2 previous characters due to technical difficulties, and with these 4 that I had to give up for the sake of the next playthroughs that means I now lost 6. Well, that's life I'm guessing. But, this reinstall will hopefully fix everything. Thanks for the help once again. I'll post here again in a few days and see if this was cleared up.

Well, it seems that today was the day I would give up on Skyrim due to technical difficulties. I had the "CTD on save" bug once again. However, it SEEMS to be fixed right now. It was a mod issue(shocking). For some reason, the mods Enhanced High Level Gameplay, LIAT, and Immersive Patrols where what caused this(through constant saving trial and error, as well as being able to successfully save about 6-7 times when those 3 mods were deactivated). If even one mod was active, I would get the same CTD on save glitch. Hopefully it passes now that I uninstalled those mods. If it occurs again, I'll post here and apologize for my wrong report. However, it CAN'T be wrong because no matter what mods I had active, only those 3, whether together or not, caused a CTD on save. Well, I just wasted an entire night reinstalling the game, lost 4 characters(2 retired, 1 Semi-retired, 1 current), only to end up at the same spot. But at least it's fixed.....hopefully for good.

Well, it is impossible for all mods to be compatible with all other mods. You might have a look at them inTESEdit, it might be something you can adjust, or try Wrye Bash to patch them.

I'm glad that you have things working at last, have fun! And you're welcome for the help, I appreciate your thanks.

Yeah, I do use both Wyrebash and Tes5edit, as well as BOSS. I cleaned all my mods, and I have a bashed patch. I guess there was just something fierce going on between them that wouldn't allow me to save properly. Either way, I took your advice about saving and I see a great difference between my save size from now and previous characters(in reference from the file I made just for them). It's good to know that it's a problem with mods and not my game. Hopefully it won't occur again. However, it seems the reinstall fixed my Whiterun crashes(I only had one crash in Whiterun, probably because I hit the 3.1 GB limit), which means it wasn't an actual Whiterun crash. But anyways, let's just hope this problem has sorted itself out. I hope that I won't have to post more technical issues on this topic, or any technical issue topic again.