Lots of random CTD and texture pop in with lag

ShangWang1

Hey ya'll,

At this point you are my last hope before just giving up on modding FO4. I have gone through countless ini tweaks, video tutorials, fix mods, forum posts and at this point nothing works. I rebuilt my load order slowly through different profiles, in hopes of isolating the affecting mod, no dice. I've started countless new saves, no dice. I re-pasted and undervolted my cpu and gpu, still nothing. I also uninstalled the hi-res textures from bethesda, that didn't help either. I don't know what to do anymore and I am mentally drained and out of ideas to make this game stop crashing. I am dying to play it with the mods I have because to me, they are awesome. But, these constant random CTDs, and micro-stutters due to texture pop in are just infuriating. The pop in and micro-stutters are even worse when sprinting. I am trying to play the game on survival and I have my mods set such that I have tactical game-play with horror (its terrifying actually) and some slootyness for good measure. Of what I get to play, I really enjoy and is quite possibly one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had, but it never lasts long before a crash. Since I am on survival, I lose my progress (I am sure by now you can see how frustrating this can be).

TL;DR: My game keeps crashing and I have lots of micro-stuttering due to texture pop in especially when I sprint.

I am unable to attach a Buffout 4 and papyrus log as well as my load order, therefore I am providing a link to their location in google drive. Please help, I really want this experience but if I can't have it or it keeps crashing, I give up.

Logs and load order: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oLqJ_-RoV9SDWMfHQRspNSEEoTx-S7E1?usp=sharing

*Update: in the same MO2 profile, it turned off all mods except for start me up and started a new game. I set my AP to 999 so that i can sprint forever so i can test for a crash by sprinting from vault 111 to diamond city. I had a few small micro stutters, which is understandable since all of the graphics mods are disabled. However, it crashed right near the door to diamond city. I don't think this is a mod causing this. Actually despite the crashes, for the most part, almost every single mod I have works as I want it to (there were a few minor mods that caused issues like a machete being invisible, but that is probably due to a patch i may have missed. Overall I experience no major problems with my mods).

Specs:
Acer Aspire V17 Nitro BE VN7-793G-706L (Aspire V17 Series)

Processor:
Intel Core i7-7700HQ 4 x 2.8 - 3.8 GHz, Kaby Lake

Graphics adapter:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Mobile - 6144 MB, Core: 1404 MHz, Memory: 8008 MHz, GDDR5, 375.86, Nvidia Optimus

Memory:
16384 MB , 1x 16 GB DDR4 Single-channel

Display:
17.30 inch 16:10, 3840 x 2160 pixel 255 PPI, AUO109B, LED Wideview, glossy: no

Mainboard:
Intel HM175

Storage:
Toshiba NVMe THNSN5512GPU7, 256 GB , + 1 TB HDD (ST1000LM035)

^^^^Spec info taken from: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Aspire-V17-Nitro-BE-VN7-793G-Notebook-GTX-1060-Black-Edition-Review.193680.0.html

Edited by ShangWang1

I think it's just too heavy for your rig. I have exactly the same system on desktop and it crashes a lot and stutters and fps is low and inconsistent even in relatively unmodded game.

Yea that's what I was beginning to think. I read somewhere that the specs required for the game are for the game without mods. Since I am crashing on almost vanilla, I think it might be time for an upgrade. Were you able to optimize in order to eliminate crashing? I can deal with fps dips for this experience, but the crashes and micro-stuttering are just unbearable. Is there a way to make the game dip fps instead of crash or stutter? Its pretty nuts because I can run cyberpunk 2077 with 150+ mods and reshade @ 25-35 fps on high. Its rare that I get a crash with that game, I don't get any micro-stuttering on it either, but I do get pop in if drive too fast. Its not nearly as bad as my fallout micro-stuttering pop in and crashes. That's why I'm really scratching my head on this, because that game has modern insane requirements especially for mods and reshade. If you don't mind I ask, is your rig similar to mine? Are you getting the exception access violations?

Your hardware should run the vanilla game just fine. Especially if you are running it from the NVME drive. I would take a look at background processes, and see what all starts with windows. The big name manufacturers are famous for installing a boatload of bloatware.....

Your hardware should run the vanilla game just fine. Especially if you are running it from the NVME drive. I would take a look at background processes, and see what all starts with windows. The big name manufacturers are famous for installing a boatload of bloatware.....

Good point, I actually have not done that yet. Acer is well known for their bloatware, so I will check as I reformatted my machine not too long ago. I am sure some residual bloatware exists. I am actually running it on my HDD. Is it possible these issues may go away on my SSD if i reinstall? Also, if I do reinstall, can I leave my MO2 as is and just reactivate my mods on the same profiles? Or would I have to start over from scratch again? I know my saves would have to go, but I'm totally okay with that. I've already had to restart the game over a million times for troubleshooting reasons anyway.

The game will run better from an SSD regardless. :smile: The only thing I use mechanical drives for these days, is my NAS. Everything else here runs on some form of SSD.

As for MO2, I have no experience with that.

Yea, I should probably do that. Its just that I only have 256 gb on my SSD, conversely I have 1TB on my HDD. Can I install the game on my SSD and keep my mods and mod manager on my HDD and load them in from there?

Side note: I just overclocked my GPU, no difference in performance in game. Still crashes :sad:. I did get a new error though: "warnings/createtexture2dwarning.cpp(60): A call to ID3D11Device::createtexture2d failed with error code 0x887a005. this will crash the game".

It was a pop up message. When i clicked okay it crashed.

So, I remember setting my game to windowed borderless since I read that the game causes problems in fullscreen. Anyway, I went back to the launcher and found it set to full screen again somehow. I set it back to borderless and I actually got further without crashing, it definitely ran more smoothly too. It did eventually crash in a firefight though, which is odd because I have the weapon debris fix mod. Well, I went and turned off weapon debris in the launcher settings just to be sure I do away with any problems related to that. I also lowered the settings from ultra to high as an extra measure in solving this thing.

Mine PC has the same CPU, GPU and RAM volume so I think it's pretty much the same.

My game usually just crashes to desktop without any prompt or message, fps is inconsistent most of the time and sometimes it catches stuttering bug which forces me to relaunch the game.

I think a simple experiment is possible here, just try to lower resolution from 4k to 2k it should free a lot of resources. If the game plays better then you could blame hardware, if nothing changes then it may be some software issue.

Edited by tm10067

Mine PC has the same CPU, GPU and RAM volume so I think it's pretty much the same.

My game usually just crashes to desktop without any prompt or message, fps is inconsistent most of the time and sometimes it catches stuttering bug which forces me to relaunch the game.

I think a simple experiment is possible here, just try to lower resolution from 4k to 2k it should free a lot of resources. If the game plays better then you could blame hardware, if nothing changes then it may be some software issue.

As far as resolution is concerned, my screen is only 1080p. So while that is an excellent suggestion, I don't think it will apply for me. On the other hand, I found this guide and followed it through completely: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/45541?tab=description. My game now runs at 60fps more or less with 471 active mods. If you haven't tried it yet, I highly recommend giving it a shot to increase your frames significantly. Though, the crashes are still ever present. So I guess you can say that is one out of the 3 problems I have that is solved. Okay, 1 down 2 to go; micro-stutters and crashes (I think the two are related. If one is solved, the other will likely be solved too).

I'm going to leave the idea of the issue being hardware related to the side for now, and I am going to back into mod conflict territory. I saw a very simple and general xedit video. I can't believe this entire time, I didn't think to do this, but it allows you to filter out mods that don't conflict so that you know exactly which group of mods you need to disable and re-enable one at a time. I think this is a much more organized and easier solution then disabling all of my 471 mods and enabling them a few at a time. As I mentioned earlier in the thread that this did not work out. I believe it didn't because as I was enabling them, some require their masters to be enabled as well. When going through 400+ mods, it furthers the tedium to start thinking about which masters need to be enabled. Therefore, the crashes I got when I was doing that were likely due to missing masters. This time, I am going to check xEdit to see which mods exactly are the conflicting ones and disable and re-enable them a little at a time to greatly narrow my search for the problem. If a conflict is the issue, I will find it soon. Btw if you are unfamiliar with this method, here is the video:

he also provides links to resources for xEdit that go deeper.