Specs for modding

thechampscrown

Hey guys, I was wondering if this laptop that I have for gaming purposes was good enough to handle a modded skyrim. I'm 19 so i'm new to to all the information regarding computers so I thought asking would probably help. I received this laptop instead of a desktop for my birthday because my parents know I love playing games and I was heading to college so a laptop would be more flexible. I've modded skyrim before but I wanted to know how much it could take for a possibly heavily modded skyrim playthrough. I thought If I wanted to do that I should gather as much information as possible regarding everything. Here are the specs for this Omen 15 Laptop:

Processor Intel® Core i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display
Let me know If this isn't enough information.

Need to know what your GPU is. So far your system seems adequate although it would help to know if your RAM was DDR 3 0r 4.

You are on the SSE forum page so I assume you are thinking of purchasing Skyrim Special Edition.

From what I have googled the Omen 15 seems to be a good gaming laptop.

It also depends on what you mean by "heavily modded" which is a very subjective term. Before you even start modding you should read the modding guides on this site and the pinned topics on the Steam forum. You will also need a mod manager which is essential for downloading and installing mods. There is controversy surrounding what mod manager to use as you will discover. The three, in my opinion, main mod managers are Vortex, MO2 and NMM. In my opinion for a beginning modder I would go with Vortex. Mainly because it is maintained, supported and updated by Nexus and most importantly has a dedicated forum on this site where you can get expert advice on any questions or problems you may encounter with Vortex. And believe me it does not matter what mod manager you choose you are going to have questions and problems.

Need to know what your GPU is. So far your system seems adequate although it would help to know if your RAM was DDR 3 0r 4.

You are on the SSE forum page so I assume you are thinking of purchasing Skyrim Special Edition.

From what I have googled the Omen 15 seems to be a good gaming laptop.

It also depends on what you mean by "heavily modded" which is a very subjective term. Before you even start modding you should read the modding guides on this site and the pinned topics on the Steam forum. You will also need a mod manager which is essential for downloading and installing mods. There is controversy surrounding what mod manager to use as you will discover. The three, in my opinion, main mod managers are Vortex, MO2 and NMM. In my opinion for a beginning modder I would go with Vortex. Mainly because it is maintained, supported and updated by Nexus and most importantly has a dedicated forum on this site where you can get expert advice on any questions or problems you may encounter with Vortex. And believe me it does not matter what mod manager you choose you are going to have questions and problems.

My bad my gpu if i'm correct is a NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2060. I have skyrim se already and have had modded playthroughs but I wanted to know what the limit I guess would be for this laptop. From my experience I would have it modded and then I would add an enb and fps would drop dramatically. I know there is nothing around the fps drops with enb's but I was wondering if I was doing something wrong. Also thank you for the modding guides, I wasn't aware of those.

It sounds as if that rig could handle most anything you want.

I cannot comment on the ENBs as I do not use ENBs in SSE. You might consider "Imaginator" it is much less heavy on resources than an ENB, in my opinion, and can give you a nice look as it is very configurable.

Definitely a DDR4 system since modern CPUs (Hazwell X-Series was the first Intel chip series to support DDR4 memory if I recall correctly) will not work with anything but DDR4 memory. However, be aware that the more mods that are added, the higher one's RAM/VRAM requirements will go. When playing a modded game, one simply cannot go off the minimum/recommended specs on the box/case. Limitations will vary from system to system since everyone's setup is different.

Hey guys, I was wondering if this laptop that I have for gaming purposes was good enough to handle a modded skyrim. I'm 19 so i'm new to to all the information regarding computers so I thought asking would probably help. I received this laptop instead of a desktop for my birthday because my parents know I love playing games and I was heading to college so a laptop would be more flexible. I've modded skyrim before but I wanted to know how much it could take for a possibly heavily modded skyrim playthrough. I thought If I wanted to do that I should gather as much information as possible regarding everything. Here are the specs for this Omen 15 Laptop:

Processor Intel® Core i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display
Let me know If this isn't enough information.

With your setup you are more than fine. Stick to 2K Max Graphics and in terms of ENB check this https://stepmodifications.org/wiki/Guide:ENBSeries you can configure the INI file too. There are modifications for Optimization as well like SSEDisplayTweaks etc. and plenty of Guides. Alot of newer functions depend on SKSE as well instead of too many scripts and aside from Shadows which are fine on Medium you want to choose between ENB Ambient Occlusion or GPU controlled or Base Game's Occlusion system. You can also configure its quality via ENB INI of course and alot will depend on your Weather and Lightning mods. Avoid too many Physics and Polygon counts on Meshes limit Physics Mods to Character and you should be fine even with Laptop. The rest is about System Resource Management.

Honestly it takes a bit of time to mod and decide on a perfect setup you keep and update. Alternatively you could try collections as a start but Stepmodificationsforum i believe is the best start for modding .

Edited by Guest