Script intensive mods

Kevin0904

Hello everyone,

I'm about to start a new game, but I'm afraid that I might start it with too many script intensive mods and that I'll regret it later on when it's too late.

With "too many script intensive mods" I mean stuff like Frostfall, Skyre, Realistic Needs and Diseases, Wet and Cold, Enhanced Blood, Climates of Tamriel, Moonlight Tales, Better Vampires, a couple of follower mods and several minor ones. I already passed on Skybirds and Footprints.

So, what is the current state of affairs? Is Skyrim able to handle that amount of scripts? Is there any way to test if it is stable at the moment (I used the latency test of Convenient Horses, but I'm not sure if that is meaningful)?

I'm not really worried about conflicts, as far is I know they are all compatible, I just don't want my game to crash every 5 minutes when I'm 30 hours in. I guess I could pass on Wet and Cold and Enhanced Blood, too, if I have to, but I wouldn't be too happy about it :wink:

Cheers and thanks for every answer!

Edited by Kevin0904

Thanks for your answers!

My system specs are at the moment:

Windows 7 64bit

i7 2600k Quad core @ 4.00GHz - 4.50GHz (as I need it)

GTX 580 3GB VRAM (slightly overclocked)

16GB DDR3 RAM @ 1833MHz

I didn't include my specs because I can't imagine they could be the culprit, the real problem is the Skyrim engine I guess.

So did anyone play with those amount of script mods a long time without problems? Any way I can test the stability? I'm afraid that I find out the problems/instability when I've played for 30 hours or more :/

Cheers

Edited by Kevin0904

@fifteenspades - Are you talking about the entire script folder or just the pex files?

I have over 17.5mb in my scripts folder (1.44 in just pex files) and I am getting random crashes. Its not my load order and its not conflicting mods...is it because my game is heavy in scripted mods that is causing the crashes?

Sucks too cause I have to sacrifice some good mods but then again...I would rather sacrifice then have a game that crashes all the time. Is there any way to read a log of your game crashes?

Edited by majikku22

Entire Folder. heres how a script would work

Think load order wise, you have alll these scripts in your case a crap ton. and each one takes up time. so lets say in one of those hundreds of scripts you have press X key and a special animation plays, well you press X then 5 secs go by, 10 secs and so on then finally it activates. It's not that the script is lagging it took that long to get to em.

Enable Papyrus logging to see script crashes. also if you have that many scripts and you have uninstalled some mid game that's most likely why you crash.

Script size doesn't have anything to do with how well a script is written... larger scripts are generally better because largers file size MAY mean it has error handling.

Anyway there is no way to tell by the size of the file if the script is well written (or how efficient it is) Example;

Script 1:

Runs through a list of values looking for something, does not stop when it's found, will only stop at the last record

Script 2:

Runs through a list of values looking for something, stops when found. It will also stop when it runs into an error because it cannot find a script in your data folder and will effectively stop itself from running in your save game.

Script 1 will be smaller in size, but you can see it's less efficient than Script 2 which has a few extra lines

@OP:

I already passed on Skybirds and Footprints

Good...

latency test of Convenient Horses

Convenient Horses may cause trouble

How would I enable Papyrus logging to see script crashes? I'm pretty sure its not the abundance of scripted mods I had. I am pretty sure it is just one that is causing all my CTD's.

I too would like to know this information. I've hit a wall with my mods it would seem; I'm at the tipping point of either having too many mods or too many script heavy mods (or one mod with problematic scripts).

@ prod80

Convenient Horses may cause trouble

Really? Haven't read of many problems caused by it, what trouble do you mean?

Also, should I pass on Wet & Cold and Enhanced Blood? In earlier versions I heard of a lot of problems and they seem very script heavy.

Cheers

Edited by Kevin0904