planning 4k gaming hardware needed

i'm talking about pc hardware you need for reasonable 4k gaming if anyone wants to contibute to this topic. thanky you :smile:.

A lot depends on whose games you are playing. For Beth games, clock speed is more important than the number of cores, as the game engine doesn't know what to do with any more than 2. Ram? These days, 8gb is minimum, 16 is good, more than that? I don't think it helps. Vid card is also an important piece, likely an RTX 3060, (or AMD equivalent) or better. Some variety of solid state drive to run the game from dramatically reduces loading times. And then various mods to uncap framerate during loading screens, and whatever textures you want. Keep in mind, the more 'prettyfication' mods you run, the meaner the vid card you are going to need to maintain an acceptable framerate. :D

• 1 month later...

for the most of the current games my 3080 seems to be a sweet spot for 4k, 60 to 120hz. my previous 2080ti was more an entry level for 4k due to lower frame rates. i don't need 144 fps or more and many open world games work nicely with 60 fps and 4k.

montor/tv aspect ratio 16 to 9 works perfectly for me. a fov beyond 90 makes no sense to me. maybe for screenshots. i play most games with fov 70 to 80.

the two core cpu limitation seems to me true for the 32bit games but not for 64bit. 64bit games seem to use about 4 to 6 cores - at least my observation for SSE and fo4.

wait a little. prices are still going down. maybe another thing if you are sitting on the source :smile:

Yeah, I can get 'em at our cost... which isn't a lot cheaper than retail, but, it's cheaper..... I figger about the time the 40 series cards come out, the 30 series will get cheap. :D

• 4 weeks later...

the always spinning wheel of waiting for cheaper or more capable hardware...

one thing i wanted to mention regarding the fov distortion effect with some non standard (21x9) panels:

you can try reshade perfect perspective filter which at least can compensate this effect to a degree and there are also some aspect ratio filters available.

the always spinning wheel of waiting for cheaper or more capable hardware...

one thing i wanted to mention regarding the fov distortion effect with some non standard (21x9) panels:

you can try reshade perfect perspective filter which at least can compensate this effect to a degree and there are also some aspect ratio filters available.

Ooooo, Thank You. I will do some digging into those. :D

• 4 weeks later...

4K will be obsolete in next 5 years. Windows 12 is coming out in 2024 with Top of the Line computers which will have 1T RAM and 1T Video Cards. It is why many gaming corporations are releasing updates to prevent GAMER ARMAGEDDON. Save your money for a Top of the Line Computer.

yaaaa, they had goals of 16k gaming back in 2016, we've been pushed back from these idealistic goals i dont think the programmers are working smart enough.,