Modding the legacy Tesla helmet

WeissYohji

I want to try my hand at modding the legacy Tesla helmet (the one that's only accessible in FNV via the console) but don't know where to start. I've never undertaken a project like this before. The closest I've ever done to modding is making minor edits to existing mods in the GECK. I want to add any of the following things to it:

--The shotgun shell dreads from Salt-Upon-Wounds' helmet

--The rope dreads from Glott's helmet in the mod The Legion Will Ryse (already downloaded that mod a long time ago for the way it replaces SUW's helmet)

--The red hair from Link's Barbarian helmet from Breath of the Wild (YanL modded that whole armor in for me back in 2018)

--Feathers from the vanilla Legion decanus helmet

I want to do this mod for me, to see if I can pull it off. How would I go about merging assets from two existing helmets in FNV? I tried looking in the GECK and can't find anything on how to do it. I looked at tutorials on YouTube and couldn't find anything on how to do something like this. I'd appreciate any help anyone has to offer on how to do this, especially from veteran modders. Every bit helps. Thanks.

You can't merge assets together in the GECK.

If you are lucky, then the parts you want to merge are separate meshes inside the nifs. If so, then all you need to do is open each nif in a different NifSkope windows and copy the part you want from one mesh to the other.

If you're not so lucky, then the part you want is part of a bigger mesh and you'll have to use a 3d modeling program (Blender or 3ds Max usually) to separate out the bits you want.

Hopefully you can do it all in NifSkope. That's much easier and has a lot less to learn. Blender has a lot more to learn.

You can't merge assets together in the GECK.

If you are lucky, then the parts you want to merge are separate meshes inside the nifs. If so, then all you need to do is open each nif in a different NifSkope windows and copy the part you want from one mesh to the other.

If you're not so lucky, then the part you want is part of a bigger mesh and you'll have to use a 3d modeling program (Blender or 3ds Max usually) to separate out the bits you want.

Hopefully you can do it all in NifSkope. That's much easier and has a lot less to learn. Blender has a lot more to learn.

I have NifSkope but don't know where to start. How do I find the relevant meshes/textures, import them into NifSkope, merge them appropriately, then put it all in the game? How does it all go together?