Make files for NMM to Install from Steam Workshop?

lorddonk

I know its not perfectly kosher, but it would be for personal use only. I would like to know if its possible and if so how to go about downloading a mod that is exclusive to the Steam Workshop and move it to a .zip file or something so that I could install it via the Nexus Mod Manager.

My reason for doing this is I don't like having to wait for Steam to check all the subscribed mods whenever I start it, and I would like to be able to switch them on or off easier if I need to.

I tried searching for this, but I don't really know what to search for. I'm assuming someone has made a tutorial somewhere but I can't bring it up.

I admittedly had thought along these lines before in the past, but never actually bothered doing it as I've found all the mods I like through Nexus.

The only method I thought off was to use a file checker / comparer program that finds which files have been added or changed so you could then isolate and repackage them into a NMM friendly format - but although I believe these kind of programs exist, I don't actually know of any particular ones.

I know its not perfectly kosher, but it would be for personal use only. I would like to know if its possible and if so how to go about downloading a mod that is exclusive to the Steam Workshop and move it to a .zip file or something so that I could install it via the Nexus Mod Manager.

Yes, and actually, I recommend this to users who must download mods that are exclusive to the Steam Workshop.

Steam does not accept uploads of mods with resources in loose file format. So all you have to do is

1) subscribe the mod, and let the mod download and automatically install itself into the game like some sort of virus (this is the reason I don't use the Steam Workshop).

2) go into your game data folder, find the esp/esm and the bsa file from the mod. Archive those files using a file archive utility like 7zip or WinRar.

3) unsubscribe the mod from the Steam Workshop so it will no longer automatically download the file or update it for you as if you are mentally handicapped and can't easily do it yourself.

4) move the archived version of the mod into the folder used by NMM to store downloaded mod archives, and delete the loose esp/esm and bsa file from the mod in your game data folder.

5) install the mod using NMM.

Edited by ripple

Yes, and actually, I recommend this to users who must download mods that are exclusive to the Steam Workshop.

Steam does not accept uploads of mods with resources in loose file format. So all you have to do is

1) subscribe the mod, and let the mod download and automatically install itself into the game like some sort of virus (this is the reason I don't use the Steam Workshop).

2) go into your game data folder, find the esp/esm and the bsa file from the mod. Archive those files using a file archive utility like 7zip or WinRar.

3) unsubscribe the mod from the Steam Workshop so it will no longer automatically download the file or update it for you as if you are mentally handicapped and can't easily do it yourself.

4) move the archived version of the mod into the folder used by NMM to store downloaded mod archives, and delete the loose esp/esm and bsa file from the mod in your game data folder.

YES! Thank you! I didn't think it could be that easy! And thanks for the laugh as well :D

• 1 month later...

This really needs to be stickied and/or officially addressed. OMG. It's so much easier on my ever bloating Data folder now due to the fact if something starts not working, then I can just make a 'clean save' (though I know technically it isn't) uninstall it, troubleshoot the problem, and then reinstall. Not to mention it makes my Data folder much more cleaner so I can isolate what I'm working with quicker and not scroll down through a bunch of folders. My only complaint is that BSA's can bog down performance. Or so I hear. o.O

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar question, as I found a mod called Dragon Nests that was exclusive to Steam but I'd prefer to use the nmm for mods. However, even though the Steam Launcher says the 'Dragon Nests' file is in my load order, I cannot find this file in the Data folder under steamapps/common/skyrim/Data. I can't find the file anywhere, like its invisible, and I'd really like some way to keep the files since I don't plan on using steam much in the future for mods. Anyone have any idea where the files could be?

I had a similar question, as I found a mod called Dragon Nests that was exclusive to Steam but I'd prefer to use the nmm for mods. However, even though the Steam Launcher says the 'Dragon Nests' file is in my load order, I cannot find this file in the Data folder under steamapps/common/skyrim/Data. I can't find the file anywhere, like its invisible, and I'd really like some way to keep the files since I don't plan on using steam much in the future for mods. Anyone have any idea where the files could be?

Check your load order in NMM, you'll easily find there the file name of the mod in question. The mod author might've named the files differently than the mod name on Steam.

Also to help you out a bit, I've downloaded that mod and the filename should be "dragonnests.esp"

Edited by eSoDian