Alduin's Rise

FennecFyre

The feast progressed deep into the night, and the nords continued to celebrate with much fervor and vitality. Abdul was feeling ravenous, but it wasn't food that the Argonian craved. After all, it had been hours since he cleaned his plate and nowhere in between did he feel it necessary to consume more. He was rather anxious about something. Of what, however, was his own to know that night.

After another spell of silence, he rose from his chair as inconspicuously as possible. Carefully, he made his way to Sivari, noticing that the seat next to her was conveniently vacant. "Sivari," he said, putting on a fake face, "Listen, I think I'm going to retire for the night. I'm a little tired after today's events. If anyone asks, tell them that I'll be staying at the Bannered Mare." Noticing that the guest of the chair was returning, he once again rose to his feet, "But hey, I appreciate what you said about Aphina. It's been a long time since anyone has showed me any measure of kindness." He smiled softly, "And kindness is easily rewarded. I won't forget about it anytime soon."

Abdul managed to slip through the palace doors without arousing too much suspicion. Pulling his hood over his head, he set out into the cold, winter night, roaming the streets alone. After awhile, he made his way to a short distance from the city. There, a fellow Argonian was waiting, torch in hand, cloaked in monk's clothing that concealed all but the lower portion of his face. Upon seeing him, the man offered his whispered greeting, "Abdul...the Hist tells me that you request my council." He groans slightly, "Is this the truth?"

Abdul nods, "You got here quick. I'm impressed."

The man laughs gently, "What can the Grey Fox do for you?"

Edited by Keanumoreira

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sivari looked up as Abdul spoke, then nodded. "Sleep well." she said, then smiled as he thanked her. A slight snoring coming from floor level drew her attention away as Abdul left. "Perhaps Edwin should turn in too," she said quietly to herself, rising from her chair. She managed to move Edwin onto a bench, feeling it would be somewhat more comfortable than the flagstones of the floor, then returned to her seat, yawning as the food coma began to set in. Teresse was in the corner fawning over her lover, Sivari considered going over to meet her but decided to give the two some privacy. The great doors of the hall swung open, letting in Tordin along with a blast of cold air. She raised her goblet to greet him, then yawned again, blinking sleepily in the heat from the fire. It had been a long day, and she just now realized how deadened her limbs felt. I really should keep my guard up, she thought, stretching, but perhaps I should turn in too. Tomorrow, she and the others could decide if they were to head to Falkreath or Riften.

-If/when everyone is done with the feast, I'll move this onto the next day so Ominous can have Raj enter-

The recently liberated city of Whiterun had its keep filled with joyous laughter and celebration at the overthrow of Hevnoraak at the hands of a group of adventurers. During the night though a small sky-ship had moored itself next to the city gates. The ships Captain, an imposing Redguard walked down the gangplank and into the city itself. His long leather greatcoat swaying behind him as he moved along the nearly abandoned streets. He made his way to the keep itself.

When he appeared at the top of the steps, daylight had broken and the citizens had begun to stagger home from the nights revelry. Many of the locals stopped to watch as the stranger approached. He was not much taller then most men, his hair was black as night and formed into long tendrils that were tied back behind his head. He wore a tricorner hat and had a bandolier across his torso of pockets and vials filled with red liquid. Peeking out of his coat was the hilt of a wicked curved scimitar.

The Redguard pushed passed the Commoners and into the keep itself, he ignored the guards and celebrators as he removed a roll of paper from the insides of his coat and slammed it with a flat palm against the feasting table in front of the Jarl himself, he drew a knife and sunk it into the wooden table, pinning the parchment in place. The Redguard turned without a word and left.

The poster read as follows.

Captain of Skyship 'Jazeera' seeks willing crew to track and slay dragons. Death very likely, experienced adventurers only need apply. Limited positions available. Chef and Machinist present, must sign contract upon application. Apply at the Bannered Mare, bring your own swords, arrow and bows. Food will be supplied, payment in gold for every confirmed dragon capture and kill. Must have, change of clothes, personal armor and burial expenses present at the time of application.

Signed,

Captain Raj Shazir.

He had reached the stairs of Dragonsreach by the time he spotted it; a dark shape hovering over the western tundra. For the very briefest of moments his heart beat that little bit faster. But it wasn't a dragon. In fact it was something altogether different. An airship, the likes of which he hadn't seen in millennia, not since the Dwemer walked upon Nirn. As the airship drew closer to the city and as the first morning rays peeked over the city's eastern walls Tordin could make out details on the contraption. It wasn't of Dwemer design, or at least not that he could see. It didn't have that brassy dwarven glimmer and there were what appeared to be large bones strapped to the vessels bow.

Tordin's curiosity was piqued. He watched as the craft descended outside the city. He made his way back down the steps and moved toward the market square. From there he had a clear view of the main gate. After a few minutes they opened, letting in a rather striking Redguard man. The Redguard strode through the city, pushing his way past the locals. He avoided the gaze of all he passed, including Tordin. However this was not out of embrassment or mistrust, no, this was the gaze of a man undistracted from his target. That target would soon be apparent as the Redguard headed up the stairs toward Dragonsreach.

Tordin followed him back up the stairs, keeping a discrete distance behind this new stranger. By the time he had reached the top the doors to the keep were still open. He strode toward the keep. He could see a figure silhouetted against the hearthfire. The figure grew larger as it moved toward the doors. It was the Redguard. They crossed the threshold simultaneously. As they passed each other only then did the Redguards eyes move to meet Tordins. Their shoulders bumped as they passed, neither offering any quarter. The Redguard carried on, away from the keep.

The Thunderer paused briefly and peered over his shoulder. He had seen in the Reguards eyes an anger. It was a look he had seen often, especially in his own reflection.

Teresse was falling asleep. Kirsi, ever the senior, smiled softly. The girl was immature and was at times hot-headed...but she was a good kid.

Kissing Teresse's forehead, she softly stroked the Valkyrie's hair until she was fast asleep. Carefully picking up the sleeping warrior, the lithe elf-eared woman spirited her away, finding a quiet spot on the balcony. Throwing a bedroll out, Kirsi made Teresse comfortable before nestling her head on her lap.

"Sweet dreams, my love."

When Teresse woke in the morning, her head was resting on a pillow, and Kirsi was gone.

Siting up, Teresse yawned and stretched. Looking around sleepily, Teresse sat up straight, then crawled to the balcony. Peeking over, she watched the redguard do his thing, the blinked.

Whatever.

Crawling back to her bedroll...she was surprised to find an amulet like the one around Sivari's neck lying on her bedroll. She touched it.

"Kynareth?" she whispered.

Wind caressed her cheek, and the fallen Valkyrie gathered her things and packed them away before sitting on the railing, watching the people below.

(I just had Paarthurnax sneak the amulet there while she wasn't looking Fennec. Hope that was ok.)

(Totally fine, Xion. I considered having Paarthy show up at the feast, but I really didn't know what he'd do there.)

---Timeskip to morning---

Eventually, the townsfolk had been unable to celebrate any longer, and they pattered back to their houses with full bellies and renewed spirits. Sivari, exhausted, had done the same as Teresse and simply pitched her bedroll in a corner of the hall and curled up. Seeing as her normal fare was a thin tent and hard ground, she was quite content with the arrangement. She now lay on her back on top of the bedroll, arms behind her head. The morning had dawned crisp and clear, and sunlight filtered in through the wrecked roof. She shut her eyes again, trying to enjoy a last few minutes of sleep before the reality that they were now fugitives from a draconian tyrant came crashing back.

Bootsteps across the hall caused her eyes to open again as an unknown Redguard strode into the room, slammed a poster onto the table, then stalked out. Curiosity thoroughly piqued, she got up, stretched, and went to examine the paper. Her ears pricked at the mention of dragons, wheels turning in her mind. He needed a crew, and they needed a way to traverse Skyrim quickly (The Jarl's offer of horses was a kind gesture, but since they would likely be pursued at some point, a faster mode of travel was needed). The one thing that confused her was the word 'skyship'. Sivari was not an ignorant Khajiit by any means, but most of her knowledge was oriented towards practical skills, such as commerce, trading, and survival skills. A ship in the sky? she pondered. Well, if giant lizards can fly, why not a ship? She resolved to speak with the man. She had to go to the inn anyway to collect Abdul.

Pulling her cloak about her, she made her way to the market plaza, already noticing that the conversations around her seemed lighter. She opened to the door to the Bannered Mare, searching the room for the Redguard from last night. Catching sight of him, she approached, tilting her head as she sized him up. "You are Raj Shazir?" she asked.

Edited by FennecFyre

Edwin awoke the next morning, sitting on a bench close to the throne. A handful of servants were cleaning from last night. He had quite a horrible hangover, as if his stomach was full of pond scum. Edwin disregarded the note, believing it was for the Jarl. He stumbled up the stairs and out to the balcony for some fresh air and to collect his thoughts. After he painfully crawled up a set of stairs and walking over to the edge of the balcony, he looked over he saw the town of Whiterun. It was a beautiful view, much different when they first arrived. People were going about their daily lives, not a single unhappy person on the street. Although the thing that caught his eye was a colossal ship with dragon bones on it's hull. Intimidating. He disregarded this for now at least as this was probably something the Jarl was doing. All he worried about right now was getting water for his terrible hangover.

Edited by twentynine29