2 Bore Rifle

isra

I think this is an excellent idea for a Big Gun which is just screaming to be made by a talented modder. If anyone will get onboard with this I will help as much as I can with textures, sound effects and any additional information needed.

Attractions:

• Firing this rifle has been described as experiencing your own personal earthquake
    Has been known to turn Buffalo into mince at 600 yards
    The 3500 Grain (8 ounce) ammunition it fires has a diameter of more than an inch
    Delivers over 3500 more joules of energy than that of the 800 gr .50 calibur round used by the Barret M82 (though has inferior penetrating qualities of course)
    It has the stopping power of five .600 gr nitro express cartridges (high end elephant gun ammunition) hitting at the same time
    It is effectively a shoulder fired artillery cannon; anything larger than the 4 bore (2 bore is larger) was deemed as impractical for use as a swivel cannon because it breaks out of the mountings on ship rails
    It's the perfect gun for you if you plan on coming across any blue whales on your safari hunting adventure, or even if you've just never been able to perform a triple berani and must achieve one no matter what

This gun was first used by big game hunters in the mid 1800's. It is considered obsolete these days partly due to ivory hunting becoming illegal and partly because such a large round is completely 'innapropriate' for use on a stag (unless you're actually bird hunting via flying bits of antler shrapnel). Also because, frankly, firing artillery from the shoulder is just silly - as discovered by the few who even tried, one of whom was "spun like a weatherclock in a hurricane" and another who recieved such severe nerve damage that he was punch-drunk for the rest of his life and had to have his bum wiped by his wife from then on. I'd say he got the better half of the deal compared to the elephant. Have I convinced you to make it yet?

So anyway, down to business.

The 2 Bore was a black powder muzzle loader that fired a round shot, but in these modern times ammunition for 2 bore rifles can come in a bullet & casing configuration. The thing is, I can only find information on the traditional muzzle loader 2 bore. I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark here and assume the more modern versions use a falling block action.

If you don't know how a falling block action works, it should be pretty easy (relatively speaking) to animate, at least compared to muzzle loading which would just be ridiculous. Here's a perfect video

on how it works.

Plus reference material for modelling the thing:

A muzzleloader 2 bore:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/100-1426.jpg

Another muzzeloader 2 bore:

http://www.ninthstage.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/2%20Bore.jpg

3500 grain solid:

http://www.2-bore.com/images/600_IMG_0998.jpg

Compared to a 9mm hollowpoint:

http://www.2-bore.com/images/825_IMG_0906.jpg

Barrel length is about 36" with additional 12" from heel to butt.

Total length approx 48" unless you feel like sawing it off.

Slug is 1.05" in diameter and casing roughly 3.5" long

Nosebleeding, arseknocking ear ringing factor is about 1 billion times infinity multiplied by the sun.

i love it!! i want one :D it would have to come with the bloody mess effect.. it's the only gun that would actually do that to a person... and maybe a knock down effect on the player sometimes?? this is a real beheemoth hunter :D

wonder about the muzzle flame.. it has to be like.. gigantic.. and set things close by on fire.. fire it in a crowd and one is splatterd some are burning the rest is shell shocked and the shooter is sitting on his arse several feet away :D

that is absolutely ridiculous, like "Ludicrous Speed" in Space Balls, just WOW, and I thought the 40mm sniper rifle was insane, considering that it was for AT purposes and anyone who has ever fired it used extensive eyea and ear protection and had it bolted down in a rock or a solid surface to help absorb the recoil, that is just NUTS!

Glad to see my post has gained a little attention :) I really would love to see this in game, but my own 3D modelling skills are essentially nonexistent.

Hey zmily, you got the right idea! I was also thinking if someone would model this I could set the gun up so it would knock the player down, cause concussion/crippling to the player or cause you to drop the weapon if you fire it when it's not shouldered. Also we can't forget the smoke! While modern rifles use smokeless powders, this is a black powder gun. It would make a big muzzle flash and cause a lot of smoke which might make it hard to see for a few seconds.

This way it would not be the kind of weapon you use all the time, but a weapon used for 'big' emergencies which is personally what I'd want. I find if you're generally discouraged from using a weapon it's more exciting and fun when the situation calls for it to be used.

While I'm here, just for shits and giggles here's a picture of a real 1-Bore "Punt Gun", the 2-Bore's (only) big brother.

http://www.thelegendbegins.com/punt_standing.jpg

i cant help tinking about what the guy that invented the punt gun was thinking.. : hmm.. i wanna shoot all the duck's on my pond with one shot.. .. hmm.. how too.. EUREKA!! i'll make the biggest baddest shotgun ever and strap it to my boat!! i'll call it a punt gun.. that'll show those damn duck's a thing or two MUaHhahaha!!! :devil:

Archived