Help decide on a new character build

dgmul

Hey Nexus.

So, for a few reasons I'm getting bored of my current character, an evil Illusionist / Alchemist.

I'm thinking of doing a more traditional sword-&-shield heroic warrior for my next character (and I'm planning on playing with SkyRe for the first time).

My goal is to keep things interesting - I don't want combat to get too simple and repetitive (repeatedly hack enemy until it's dead, drink potion if health gets too low). With this in mind, what are some other skills that synergize well with melee combat, and could spice things up a bit?

Or, if you have other suggestions for fun and interesting character builds, like destructive mages, or bow-users, throw them at me.

I'm playing a werewolf right now. With the right mods that can be a really funny experience. (I use Moonlight Tales, for example)

You could... play as some guy or girl who has never even held a weapon and has to try out everything to find things that fit?

Nah... I'm not sure if SkyRe also rebuilds the magic system, but you should really try out a Destruction Mage at least once. Everything buuurns! ;)

I also like sneaky one-handed assassins or archers, just because it is great to clear out half a dungeon before anybody knows you're there.

Well, for a more "traditional" Character... have you thought about giving yourself some stipulations?

For example: you're not an alchemist, so you can only use the potions you find, not selfmade ones.

Or you could rely totally on restoration magic or food, not on potions.

Maybe your character has a crippling fear of *monster of your choice* and so he/she has to either sneak around it or run around flailing and screaming, letting their follower sort things out.

What about playing some kind of Ranger, only instead of just archery, you could rely on animals? (Bosmer racial power, animal allegiance shouts etc.). That would be pretty hard to pull off, but definitely interesting.

Sorry, I seem to just ramble for a bit :)

I hope you'll find at least some of my ideas to your liking, good luck in finding your next build ^^

One thing that might spice things up is go the 'inexperienced' warrior ashtolith suggested using a mod like pumping iron. Start with your character weight at 0 and only use weapons like daggers, short swords, spears and light shields/armor. Pumping iron will increase your characters weight and look like he's adding muscle and this getting stronger. Maybe have it so that once he reaches a certain point he can use broad swords and battle axes. Then after some more training start using long swords and heavy shields, and finally heavy armor, war axes and hammers. It's realistic and should keep things fresh by making you invest in new skills (heavy armor and two handed) after a while.

The most interesting and challenging Dovahkin build I have done so far was a 'Pacifist'....she specialized in 'Illusion', 'Restoration', 'Alteration', 'Stealth', 'Pick Pocket' and 'Speech'....her kill count was almost non-existent, the kill count she did have were accidental....I am talking no Animal Death and by level 20 only 3 Humanoids....she did kill Draugr though, but I would remove that element also if I play her again....She had to run from a few fights, but most of the time handled opponents quite well....'Illusion' Magic is a MUST to survive without killing....though using 'Frenzy' and letting them kill each other off is allowed.... :happy:

For such a build and challenge I would recommend though a Mod that boosts and extends 'Illusion' and not to activate the Dragons.

Anyway if you want something completely different and a whole new game style and all new kinds of challenges, I would highly recommend giving the Pacifist a go.... :happy:

So basically the Legendary difficulty play style by choice. (har har)

Kind of like how an unattractive man can become a priest and take a vow of celibacy by choice to preserve his dignity, a hero lacking the power to kill might as well call himself a pacifist and save himself the embarrassment.

"A healing spell! Are you a priest?"

"Yup, I'm totally manning up here and sticking to my vows. Thanks for not letting that bear maul me to death, incidentally."

"I am your sword and your shield."

Yup, the priestly life is one of great moral elevation. :wink:

lol.... :laugh: ....try the Pacifist Ratcatcher.... :tongue: ....the catch is, like my usual Dovahkin, my Pacifist didn't have a Follower ...That said though, she did eventually activate the Dragons (mid level 20's) and doing so pretty much destroys the ability to play a Pacifist and she ended up having to resort to using a Bow and having a Follower to survive the Dragons....defeated the purpose of her play through which was a shame.....Until that point though, she was certainly a whole new way to play Skyrim and I would recommend giving it a whirl, makes for a rather interesting and challenging game experience.... :happy:

One of my favorite moments...she successfully Pick Pocketed a needed Key off a Bandit....taking all his money while she was there too.... :tongue: ....I thought she had got away clean with it until some Hired Thugs showed up, she Pick Pocketed them clean of all their coins and the note also.... :D ...I want to know how they explained that one to the Bandit.... :blink:

...a hero lacking the power to kill might as well call himself a pacifist and save himself the embarrassment...

...Oooor, because they were not about violence, they purposely avoided skills and power that would allow them to kill and thus their other skills and powers are well developed. ;)

Hey Nexus.

So, for a few reasons I'm getting bored of my current character, an evil Illusionist / Alchemist.

I'm thinking of doing a more traditional sword-&-shield heroic warrior for my next character (and I'm planning on playing with SkyRe for the first time).

My goal is to keep things interesting - I don't want combat to get too simple and repetitive (repeatedly hack enemy until it's dead, drink potion if health gets too low). With this in mind, what are some other skills that synergize well with melee combat, and could spice things up a bit?

Or, if you have other suggestions for fun and interesting character builds, like destructive mages, or bow-users, throw them at me.

Ummmm.... well, that's what a sword and board guy does; hack em till they're dead. You could just be a board guy; perked up shield bashing is one of the strongest attacks in Skyrim. Dragons are a little tricky.

If you're not on Master or Legendary to start this character, dual-wielding is pretty cool; huge offense potential with no defense (block). A couple shouts help here, too; Slow Time and Elemental Fury. Again, though, some ranged attack is pretty useful against dragons.

Probably the best thing to do is simply RP a guy/gal you imagine to be the heroic type. Whatever comes to mind, build that character. Imagine what he/she would do in a fight or in a particular circumstance and look for perks to make it happen. SkyRe will force you to concentrate on certain skills/perks more so than vanilla, so you might play a bit with a generic sword and board character till you get the feel of it.

My favorite? So-called "pure" mages; no armor, daggers/staffs/bound weapons only, just magic school perks (except speech). A Conjurer is only slightly less powerful than the Archer in Skyrim, IMHO. They don't worry about weapons or armor or carrying anything, really, except some clothes and a couple pieces of jewelry; the minamilist hero.

Well, it depends. Since you're planning to play a heroic sword and board character, you can make him a paladin(if you wish). I'd either make him a werewolf or nothing at all(can't be a vampire for immersion purposes). Instead of hack and slash you could use alteration spells (as paladins are gifted in defensive magic, specifically restoration although alteration is up there as well). I'd also try to use range once in a while(maybe install Crossbows Revamped and use crossbows). Really, it's up to the backstory and planning you're doing. Chances are that you will have to hack and slash from time to time, but you can use your ranged weapon when needed and pop up a few armor rating alteration spells. When things get ugly(if you chose to become a werewolf) or if you just want to go on a feeding frenzy use your beast form and let nothing stop you from going on an all you can eat buffet. Hopefully some part of this helped you.

Hah hah, that's hilarious. I picture your victims and their hired thugs all standing around wearing nothing but "bankruptcy barrels" and talking about how evil and dangerous the Dragonborn is ...

@TONS:

I'm not trying to cramp anyone's style; the point was more about Legendary difficulty.

Octavian: "The graveyards are full of middling swordsmen. Best not to be a swordsman at all than a middling swordsman."