Help with installing Buffout 4

JacobKirwin

Hi all!

I could really use some help with installing Buffout. (I cannot find a Youtube video for a visual and I'm not terribly computer savvy; but I'm learning). So I followed the instructions on the mod pages Read Me and tried posting for help in there too. This is where I am:

1st - I installed X86 and X64 versions of C++ (vc_redist), as per step 2. No problem. I had to do something similar for Skyrim back in the day.

2nd - I ran into a problem. Step 3 says to install "Microsoft Visual Studio C++ Redistributables 2012 Update 4" and provided a link to it. I did this (clicked the provided link, clicked the Download button, followed prompts) and it dumped a crazy amount of .cab files onto my desktop. Files names such as: "JUN2008_XACT_x64.cab and Jun2010_D3DCompiler_43_x64.cab." I literally could not see my desktop due to how many there were. So I made a new folder called "C++ Stuff" on my Desktop and moved them to that. I have no idea if this was the right thing to do, or if I should move them to a different folder - or if I even need them? This is the only hang up keeping me from moving forward with the install of Buffout 4. I don't know if these files are needed to make it work and if so, I don't know what to do with them. There's no guidance on this stuff in the Mod posts.

Something tells me there is something I'm missing here. Can someone help a newb with very green computer skills. I honestly don't know what I'm doing beyond with this stuff beyond following basic line by line instructions, and when oddities pop-up like this, my lack of foundation really shows lol. Did I do something wrong? Do I need to move the .cab files? Can I just keep them in said new folder on my desktop? Is this update even supposed to dump .cab files spanning multiple dates onto your desk top lol? Seems odd no one in the comments section has mentioned this if so. Help plz!

Y

Do you have the script extender and plugin preloader installed as well? Are you starting the game with F4SE_Loader?

I have Script Extender installed. I do not have plugin preloader. Is that this? https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/33946

I saw that this was a requirement for Buffout 4 on the main page drop down, but for some reason it's completely omitted from the actual installation instructions for Buffout 4, so I wasn't sure it was still needed or not? Here's the link I'm following from Nexus for install instructions: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/articles/3115

Either way though; would that plugin matter for downloading Visual C++ updates? That's what's confusing me at the moment. When I downloaded Microsoft Visual Studio C++ Redistributables 2012 Update 4, it downloaded dozens of .cab files onto my desktop. I'm suspicious that these may be temp files that don't matter, but I'm too inexperienced to know for sure.

Thank you for replying!

Yep, that be the one.

The whole Visual C++ thing is baffling..... It really shouldn't put anything on the desktop, should all be in the downloads folder, or, in a temp directory, that gets nuked after installation......

Does it ask where you wanna put stuff when you fire off the installer? If so, just stash it somewhere in your downloads folder, and manually nuke it after installation completes.

Thanks man. I'll try reinstalling it and pay closer attention to the download path. I suppose it's possible that I downloaded something else to Desktop and it stayed as the default. I'm assuming that you're right and these are probably files that should have gone into a temp folder but for some reason just got pathed to my Desktop and stuck around. Really appreciate your reply bud.

Yep, that be the one.

The whole Visual C++ thing is baffling..... It really shouldn't put anything on the desktop, should all be in the downloads folder, or, in a temp directory, that gets nuked after installation......

Does it ask where you wanna put stuff when you fire off the installer? If so, just stash it somewhere in your downloads folder, and manually nuke it after installation completes.