Solid State Hard drives

It's not "either-or", it's "use both".

You can combine them by manually hard-linking files (high performance), or by using software to do caching for you.

Using caching is much less clunky too, my friend has problems quite often with his SSD boot drive being clogged whereas mine is cached so I don't have to decide where to put everything.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know one thing, I'm not going back to a standard hard drive for a boot drive. I got a little 128GB ssd for my boot drive that I got on sale from Newegg. I had it in my old system with Win7 and it changed my 15 min boot time to about a 1 min flat. Major upgrade. I now have Win8 and its about 30-40 seconds from power off to Metro. I've been thinking of upgrading to a bigger drive but I'm waiting for another sale.

I purchased a 64GB SSD when prices were still $150 for those. They've dropped considerably since.

If you get a Z68 or Z77 intel board you can use an SSD as a cashing device and use a mechanical HDD along with it. In which case a 64GB SSD would keep your OS + most used programs on it, and cycle them out automatically for programs you use more. You don't need a huge SSD to take advantage of that and its a considerable speed increase over a mechanical HDD.

If I was going to do a PC with no mechanical HDD and just SSD, it would have to be at least 256gb, and then you can always use a portable USB 3.0 drive to put your less important stuff on.

I did some serious research and i came to the conclusion that i am indeed going to get me two ssd's in raid config, i was in a huge debate with myself if i should get a single ssd or raid two 240gb ssd's, its allot cheaper and faster that way. i mean alllooot faster that way to.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226371

so what do you think of the suggested ssd?? your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

they say for gaming its a must. the speed triples in raid they say.

Edited by Thor.

The feedback there is terrible. One guy claiming 527MB/sec on a SATA1 mainboard... I honestly do not think that you will be able to tell the difference while gaming between a reasonably fast SSD like that and two of them in RAID 0.

they say for gaming its a must. the speed triples in raid they say.

It's a waste of reliability from better than HDD to "meh normally works".

Who are "they"? How can speed triple from double drives? What exactly "triples"? How do "they" even measure it?

Access time increases in a RAID array due to the controller, you're subjecting your storage to the whims of its software and lock out critical SSD features such as firmware updates (for high risk of data loss) and even TRIM with stable drivers.

If you need more than 256GB of SSD space in the first place, it's a hint that you might not be managing it well. If you are and indeed need that much, consider using your SSD as separate drives.

As to the performance increase:

http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/image/akg/Storage/520_raid/no_trim_boot.jpg

RAID 0 SSD tend to perform better than a single drive new, worse over time.

Lol more mechanical drives, the one thing i am trying to do is decrease the noise, so ssd it is. I'm waiting until Black Friday or something when the price goes down or a really good sale happens. I'm always on the look out.

Ya i might just get a single 256gb ssd, and later on for storage a second...

Games, you would be surprised how much space a half a terabyte worth of games is on a ssd. I blame Steam..

i was questioning can i fit everything on steam on that ssd :blink:

Edited by Thor.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking of getting a SSD just for Skyrim and Mods. Can I run it on one (Slave) with my OS on a HDD or does my OS have to be on one too to benefit? Will it help the game out at all? I am doubling my ram next week and was thinking of getting a SSD to help with my over bloated modded game lol. But not sure if it will help at all.

One I was looking at: Kingston HyperX

PC Spec:

PowerColor AX7950 3GBD5-2DHV4 Radeon HD 7950 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Western Digital WD Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit MSI P67A-G43 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Much Thx!!

Edited by Canlocu

It would keep the microstuttering down to a near minimum if not at all when textures load, its a Gamebryo glitch, Oblivion had it the worst.

its really noticeable when you enter a room or a new area, i had to do that with Skyrim for that reason, you might not suffer from that issue, not everyone does.

Edited by Thor.