⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Solid State Hard drives

I am going the way of USB 3.0 with the new ssd, on a external case with usb 3.0 high speed cable. This has to be the best deal i have ever come across :teehee:

purchased today :teehee:

Edited by Thor.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got a 120GB SSD, an OCZ Agility series. I'll probably be installing it over the weekend. I'll check back with my own findings either when done or with problems. :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wait for better chips for the USB 3.0 controller because those things can't sustain their advertised transfer rates from start to finish. There was an article on tomshardware about that and how backwards compatibility was messing up USB 3.0 and you could hack a driver for asus mobos to only use USB 3.0 and no compatibility and it would go faster but it still wasn't what it should be. You can go with your idea and it will work but you will see bottlenecks because of it.

Thunderbolt tech is coming to pc so we will see drives for that and probably external video cards for laptops so maybe at some point SLI will be two cards in an external box plugged into thunderbolt port and inside that box will be the SLI bridge connecter and small power supply just enough to run the cards. No more high priced 1000watt psu no more giant pc case! Leave that cardsinabox at home and take your ultrabook anywhere then come home and plug into a docking station and game all you want without overheating the ultrabook/laptop. I think at some point in time it will be that way to simplify things and get more people buying high end components that don't have to know how to install them. It is either that or we lose desktop gaming to crap companies like onlive where you stream everything through a cell phone or an ipad EEEWWWW!

Agree about the simplistic part about it, but there must be a limit to how simplistic though. There must be a line between simple and Hardcore parts, maybe a mix so we can have the best of both worlds.

i just went straight firewire. You really don't need usb3.0. In fact they run cold. simply plop it on your desk or beside your tower, or even on top.

Edited by Thor.

Ah! Just as before with HDD's, the time has come for the SSD A Hybrid is still a bit expensive for those gamers with budgeting cramps. For those who tire of externally attaching an SSD intended for a Laptop to a 3.0 USB Port or a SATA capable line off the MoBo the Newegg website offers a nice internal PCI/E slot 120 GB SSD for $199.00 US.

Unless you have a few thousand dollars you may want to consider a storage set up like the OCZ Hybrid which holds 100GB of SSD as well as 1TB of HDD on a card that fits nicely into one of the small PCI/E slots on a Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 MoBo.

More gamer bang for your dollar although a bit pricey at $617.00 to $462.00 at TigerDirect, if you don't have a business sponsorship who support you might want to go to:

$425.00 at Rakuten Buy.com

$409.00 at B&H Photo Video Pro Audio

@ Newegg too for $329.99.