i stuck in Helgen

OldschoolDaydreamer

I have a problem with skyrim. Finally i managed to make all 200 mods i have installed work properly together, i checked my game using old savegame and despite several CTD's (don't know where the problem is) everything worked fine. So i decided to delete old savegames and start fresh new one. This is where a problem appears. I can't even finish Helgen mission. When i get to the castle where stormcloak should cut me loose, i get stuck as soon as i enter the castle. I just walk in first person in the same place, mouse isn't working, i can't go anywhere or do anything, i stuck. Anyone had this problem before and know any solution without disabling mods one by one? help would be very appreciated, because i can't wait to play skyrim again

Best thing would be to scan your load order with BOSS, see if any mods contain a high number of dirty edits. After that, run TES5 Edit to see if there is a conflicting mod in your load order, and also TES5 Edit to clean those mods that have dirty edits. If you don't know how to use TES5 Edit, then I suggest you look at the many resources online that show you how to properly clean your mods.

Links:

Gopher's tutorial on TES5EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw3g_N1jcZQ

TES5EDIT Cleaning Guide on the Creation Kit Wikia: http://www.creationkit.com/TES5Edit_Cleaning_Guide_-_TES5Edit

Download for BOSS: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/6

P.S. Remember to follow ALL instructions and advice these people provide. Be sure to read all descriptions and understand everything before tinkering around with mods and Skyrim. Be sure to back up any mod you decide to edit/clean so that in the event of something going wrong, you'll have a back-up copy. Also, if you find any mods that have an excessive number of dirty edits, be sure to go to the comments section of those mods and ask the mod author to clean his/her mod and upload it so that all those who use that mod will have a clean version too.

-Elsarian

Edited by Elsarian

Hmmmmm........what's the size of your save? Meaning, are you experiencing save bloat? I ask because no matter how well you get your mods to work with one another, save bloat will always destroy your game. I have a feeling that since you're running so many mods (no doubt large ones) then this is what could possibly be happening to you.

Also, have you noticed any particular spots your game keeps crashing at?

What is a save bloat?

My savegame is small, i started today. Sometimes game crashes, sometimes freezes and it becomes difficult to turn off. It happens all around the area, no specific spot

My mods isn't very large ones, no texture mods... Well, i don't know. Skyrim folder is almost 20GB large :D

Well, i can say that it is impossible to play anymore.. Every five minutes game gets CTD or freezes, in game follows bug after bug (whiterun soldiers attack me for no reason, but not all of them, which makes no sense).. i don't have patience anymore.. I hate the idea, that it is impossible to play skyrim with mods i want, because it simply don't work properly and who the f*#@ knows where is a problem. Boss doesn't show anything, load order is correct, just like Tes5edit shows and it still crashes.. HATE IT

P.S. My computer Intel® Core i7-3610QM CPU @ 2,30GHz 2301 Mhz, 4 Core(s) 8 logical.

Video card AMD Radeon HD 7670M, 1GB

Edited by OldschoolDaydreamer

Save bloat can occur when you have very many mods installed. All those scripts and other information is saved in your savefile, so when you launch your game, all those mods aren't having to restart. Too many can cause your save to "bloat", grow in size, to the point where it becomes unstable. The best way to find this out is by going to where your saves are stored. Default directory for Win 7 is C:/Documents, My Games, Skyrim, Saves. Look for your most recent save on that character, right click the file, then click "properties", and it will tell you how many megabytes large that file is. I've been told that 5-10 MB is normal for the vanilla game, while 25 Megabytes and up is definitely save bloat and WILL cause issues like CTD's, freezing and so forth. Your PC specs don't matter if it's save bloat causing the issue because it's an issue with Skyrim.

Let me know what you find out.

Also, if the issue is save bloat, then the only thing I can tell you to do, to my knowledge, is decrease the amount of mods you have installed.

Edited by Elsarian

my recent savegame is almost 8MB size. And i played it only today. Came to Whiterun for a first time, and a savefile is already 8MB size, is it normal? Because savefiles of Helgen doesn't reach 1MB

My current character, which is 30 hours in, is only at 7.53 MB with 73 mods installed. Your save is quickly increasing size that early in the game. It's not yet large enough to cause issues, yet. However, with that said, at that rate you will definitely start seeing crashing and freezing 10-20th hour, if not less. I recommend you strip away all the mods you don't consider essential for play, then start a new game and see what comes of that. 200+ mods is a damn-lot of mods lol.

i guess it would be easier to disable all the mods,finish the quest and enable them all again :blush:

if you are using mods relating to editing the npcs such as face edit or some thing like that,you can change your character later using the cheat code: player.showracemenu

The Helgen sequence seems to have problems with some mods. As it is intended as both a tutorial and introduction, there is a lot of scripted stuff going on. Cosmetic mods don't seem to have any effect there though - so disable those mods that have scripts until you exit the cave. That is the point the real game actually starts. As the Tutorial is mostly scripted anyway, there isn't a lot you can do to affect the sequence. I haven't seen this exact bug - usually I see things like wagon can't get through gate, tips over goes off road. - PC refuses to exit wagon, someone refuses to talk, Everything just stops, dragon never shows up. Or just crashes.