⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

The Rise and Fall of Videogames

Slaiv

being 34 years old ( and maybe one of the oldest here :lol: ) I have heard this arguement before manytimes and it has been proven false each time. As for VR games they have been around for 15 years at least ( a amusment park near were I use to live had a arcade game of primal rage were you wear the goggles and you stand in a cage were the comp. trackes your movements and translates them into the game, and that was 13 years ago !!) I also remember seeing a hologram game in an arcade 15 years ago, yea it was really basic and the playing field was really small but it was a hologram and that alone made it cool. But my point is that technolgy still has way to long to go before we are even close to saying that gameing graphics are nearing a limit. Ofcource plots in games reached their limit years ago lol.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who has the idea that video games are nearing graphical perfection? Yes, some are looking quite good, but that is not the same as reality. Just take a look outside, for example a hedge: millions of leaves, each would require several polygons to look realistic from a few feet away (if you could poke your nose within a few cm it would still look awful), and this is on a screen, with perhaps 1 million pixels. Say high res, but really, does this even compare to the real world visible by the eye? I think graphics still have a long way to go before perfection.

Other than graphics, I really don't see why things such as highly-realistic physics systems aren't possible now. Actually, in many games the physics have reached their limit simply because there is nothing else in the game that is physically movable (far too few objects).

Probably the largest problem with games is the limitation of the control system. For instance, instead of merely being able to point a weapon, actually being able to move the hand that holds it (so aiming would actually be hard, and you could point a gun around a corner and shoot blindly while only exposing your hand to fire). Btw don't think this is about as far as a control system could go, another example would be climbing using any small objects in games you can't actually "step" on.

I'm a little late to be entering the thread, hopefully I'll be welcomed into the discussion anyway.

I think games will continue to evolve VERY quickly for a long long time.

I'm having a hard time conveying what I think games will turn into, but my theory is simply that we[humans] have not thought up how next-next-next generation games could be. We think virtual reality and all that stuff, but that idea has been around as long as the term "video game", or at least since TRON came out ^_^

I think video games will be around forever in one form or another.

Waiting for my holographic gameboy.

~V

Ok, ok, I get your point. You can stop posting "OMF Y0 t3h v1de0 g4me5 ar3 n3^3r g01ng t3h d1ee11e1!!!!1!!!!!111q!"

By the way, that wasn't directed at you Valdir, so welcome to the discussion. :P

At any rate, we are quickly coming upon virtual reality. In maybe 20 years. Where to go then? ;)

Oh, and of course videogames will still exist in some form or another. Everybody seems to be saying that. It'll be like Records, or like Tape Cassettes - they're around, but nobody uses them.

Of course, I'll still be playing them.

I highly doubt there will ever be a shortage of videogames, because frankly, we're all addicted. ;)

And as for graphics and physics reaching a peak... I would HIGHLY disagree. Even the most advanced engines currently being developed, Unreal3, Halflife 2, etc, are barely even scratching the surface of realistic lighting, textures, etc. I'm willing to bet there won't be truly realistic graphics in games for a VERY long time, probably at least another decade or two.

The real limit for graphics/physics/games will be with hardware, the current semiconductor CPUs will most likely begin to peak in less than a decade. Then we'll moving on to nano-circuits. :D

And as for graphics and physics reaching a peak... I would HIGHLY disagree. Even the most advanced engines currently being developed, Unreal3, Halflife 2, etc, are barely even scratching the surface of realistic lighting, textures, etc. I'm willing to bet there won't be truly realistic graphics in games for a VERY long time, probably at least another decade or two.

....and, come to think of it, current games only cover two senses out of five - sight and sound. If and when they figure out a way of getting smell and/or touch into a game, that'll open up a lot of new possibilities. (I'd include taste in there, but I can't really think of a way taste would be used in games. ^_^ )

I wonder how they'll get VR to work....

With great difficulty? :P

Archived