LOD being displayed too close

Werne

Alright, after swapping out my old components for something that can actually run Oblivion with NPCs that aren't headless (no kidding there, I even posted a thread about that), I can now actually play Oblivion for the first time since I bought it nearly 4 years ago. :dance:

But now there is only one issue I still haven't been able to resolve, the LOD. Instead of loading itself normally, it decided to load itself everywhere at the same time, even on the very spot where I stand. Here's an example screenshot of what I mean by that:

ScreenShot0.jpg

This screenshot is taken on the road from Cheidnhall, but it's the same situation anywhere I go. There is even a guard in this screenshot, beneath the LOD mesh on the top right, riding a horse. So as you can see, that can get a tad annoying.

Anyway, does anyone have any idea as to how can I get rid of this? Disabling distant land solves the problem and I can play without LOD, but I'd still like to have it, just normal LOD and not like this.

And in case someone can understand what is written in Oblivion.ini, here's my LOD section from it:

[LOD]
fLodDistance=500.0000
bUseFaceGenLOD=0
iLODTextureTiling=2
iLODTextureSizePow2=8
fLODNormalTextureBlend=0.5000
bDisplayLODLand=1
bDisplayLODBuildings=1
bDisplayLODTrees=1
bLODPopTrees=0
bLODPopActors=0
bLODPopItems=0
bLODPopObjects=0
fLODFadeOutMultActors=8.8900
fLODFadeOutMultItems=8.5600
fLODFadeOutMultObjects=8.7000
fLODMultLandscape=1.0000
fLODMultTrees=1.0496
fLODMultActors=2.0000
fLODMultItems=2.0000
fLODMultObjects=2.0000
iFadeNodeMinNearDistance=400
fLODFadeOutPercent=0.9000
fLODBoundRadiusMult=3.0000
fTalkingDistance=2000.0000
fTreeLODMax=2.0000
fTreeLODMin=0.0200
fTreeLODDefault=1.2000
fObjectLODMax=15.0000
fObjectLODMin=1.0000
fObjectLODDefault=5.0000
fItemLODMax=15.0000
fItemLODMin=1.0000
fItemLODDefault=2.0000
fActorLODMax=15.0000
fActorLODMin=2.0000
fActorLODDefault=5.0000
bLODUseCombinedLandNormalMaps=1
bForceHideLODLand=0
fLODQuadMinLoadDistance=65536.0000
fLODFadeOutActorMultInterior=1.0000
fLODFadeOutItemMultInterior=1.0000
fLODFadeOutObjectMultInterior=1.0000
fLODFadeOutActorMultCity=1.0000
fLODFadeOutItemMultCity=1.0000
fLODFadeOutObjectMultCity=1.0000
fLODFadeOutActorMultComplex=1.0000
fLODFadeOutItemMultComplex=1.0000
fLODFadeOutObjectMultComplex=1.0000
fLODLandVerticalBias=0.0000

@eric31415 Didn't try that, will do and see if fixes anything.

@Striker879 I installed the game anew after changing hardware and I let it generate the ini, I didn't copy over my old one. I wasn't able to play the game on my old hardware so there was no point in backing up the ini either.

Well, TES4LODGen unfortunately didn't do anything. Took it a while to finish, a looong while, and then there was no improvement what so ever.

I'm pretty sure this happens to me because Oblivion hates me. :sad:

It's odd that TES4LODGen would take so long to run. Even with almost 200 mods installed, it takes almost exactly 2 minutes every time for me.

Even then, I doubt that it could fix this. While it would update the LOD, it seems the that the problem here is that the LOD isn't unloading when you get close.

Given the number of really odd issues you have had, I think it's time to rule out Linux as the problem. Maybe a partition on the HD with Windows, for testing purposes?

Edit; Was just doing some searching, and found this article. It seems that while Oblivion will run on Linux with Wine, it's not perfect.

Graphical issues seem to be very common. The article linked has a lot of useful info and links.

Edited by eric31415

Actually, the LOD issue is on Windows 7 - same machine, different HDD. Oblivion in Wine under Debian has working LOD, I mounted the game and My Games folder from Windows in a wineprefix to try it, worked perfectly with the same ini I used on Win7. Got no idea why that happens but it is interesting.

Anyway, I'd like to resolve it on Windows, due to rapid Linux kernel development AMD is focused on driver stability in Linux and not performance, meaning Linux AMD drivers are significantly (about 30-40%) slower. :sad:

Also, that Oblivion: Linux article is old. It refers to Wine 0.9.x and development version 1.0.x which were released 5-6 years ago. Some of the workarounds and other things do still apply but most are obsolete since those issues have been resolved a long time ago.

Edited by Werne

That is interesting. And it pretty well rules out problems with the ini, game install, or hardware.

About all that leaves are video drivers and DirectX. I also seem to remember a NetFramework 2.0 requirement, but that may have been for OBSE.

Hope you get this sorted out, but I think i'm out of ideas here.

• 9 years later...

Hi, for anyone who might experience the same problem. Had the same issue on GOG version of the game on Windows 10, no graphical mods installed. Not suprisingly disabling the LOD compeltelly betters the problem somewhat. In Oblivion.ini

bDisplayLODLand=0
bDisplayLODBuildings=0
bDisplayLODTrees=0

Of course, then you will loose the distant landscapes. However for me it was worth it, transforming non-playable game into playable one.