Starcaft and Brood War expansion

baboracus

Man did i love Starcraft. i would always play as terran, put it on the hunters map, switch all other players to Zerg, make them all my enemy, surround my base with missle pods and bunkers, and watch the fun! Of course I would put in the cheats, but i was around 8-10 back then. My favortie non hero voice would have to be the Wraith pilot. He just had that pilot cool to him. Please share your favorite things about this game, so i can revel in the nostalgia!

It was one of the most balanced games of all time. That's where it ends for me though. Too much online play has turned me into the mental wreck I am today.:P

But seriously, for me, this was a great game at the time, but sadly, like counter-strike, it's time is long gone.

My favorite thing to do was always to play Protoss, get the dark archon, take over workers from all the sides, and have an all powerful Zerg/Terran/Protoss empire!!

My favorite unit was the carrier though, spamming interceptors.

I also remember all of my dad and his friends would bring their computers to my family's computer room, and we'd all have a huge LAN party playing it. I was like 5 or 6 years old back then.

It was one of the most balanced games of all time. That's where it ends for me though. Too much online play has turned me into the mental wreck I am today.:P

But seriously, for me, this was a great game at the time, but sadly, like counter-strike, it's time is long gone.

Indeed it has.. I only played online once. I was brutally destroyed and never fathomed doing so agian. I stuck to Diablo for online play after that. Now I spend my days playing this awosme mod for Empire at War for my RTS fix nowadays.

• 2 weeks later...
I've come to the conclusion that it's quite difficult for new players to get into RTS's online. I played Dawn of War recently, and had my ass kicked before I even had my base up and running.

Yep, that's because most RTS's these days are based not on positioning and careful planning, but instead building as much of a single unit as you can, and rushing the opponent before they know what is happening. It's one of the reasons why I stopped playing RTS personally, gameplay was just uninteresting, and was over way too quick. Some of the best times I had with RTS games is when I was playing other people who actually wanted to play the damn game instead of clicking like mad for 2 minutes, and spending the remaining 30 seconds just watching everything die. Its alot more fun when you don't have hundreds of units either under your command, or attacking you. The most entertaining method of playing starcraft would be to use a map without bases, start off with a couple ground units from each side, have a few more reinforcements scattered around that could join the first person to reach them, and leave it at that. Adding in things like transports made it even more fun.

better strategy game? no... better RTS, maybe ... Someway I think those games would be better named as RTT. Well there is strategy at some degree, but most is to chose what units to build and if it's better go ground or air and build, build like mad.

Had Total Annihilation a better global AI it would be the better RTS to me in solo games. In multiplayer it was, albeit it had flaws too.

Anyone playing only the melee game setting or has not tried to get into the customs scene is missing out on what makes this game still have a large, dedicated fan base after nearly 10 years.

If you aren't a map/mod maker, you are missing half of what makes Starcraft a legendary game. You are missing half of why since I was 8 years old this has been my favorite game. You are missing out on half the experience of the communities centered around the game itself.

I suggest you stop missing out.

Never really been good at rts but they are fun, guess a build as many tanks as possible and blow stuff up strategy dosent get you very far in life :confused:

Archived