So i've just bought a gaming PC

baesilx

Hello,

So i've just bought a gaming PC and have the following nexus-e games ripe for the modding.

Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, and Fallout 3.

First off my primary focus is going to be on Skyrim and Fallout 3

BUT, I want to know if anyone has any favorite mods that I should give a try!

(I've played the games to the fullest extent possible on console and modding them is one of my main reasons for getting into PC gaming)

Thanks for any input! :)

Welcome aboard, mate. There's a lot to like about PC gaming; better graphics, mods, better reliability, and cheaper prices. There's also a few genres you don't get on console, and a bunch of really superb games for under ten quid.

So, Skyrim is my main area of knowledge so I'll let others fill you in about the others.

First and foremost, the non-negotiable MUST INSTALL gameplay essentials. First you're going to want to get SKSE. SKSE just lets you run much more complex mods, it's a heavensend because it allows you to add all sorts of really complex goodies. Second, NMM(Nexus Mod Manager) Free-to-use App made by the Nexus, makes installing/managing mods a snap. No reason not to use it, since it makes installing a mod a two-click process. Thirdly, you'll probably want Werne's 72 hours Respawn mod. Skyrim enemies DO NOT RESPAWN when killed. Well, they do, but it takes about a month of gameplay real-time. Werne's mod shortens that to about 72 hours in game, ensuring that like Oblivion, you'll always have some baddies to fight and stuff to loot.

Second? Pretty Face and Enhanced Character Edit. When these two are installed together, you get an entirely superior character customisation screen. I can't really state enough just how superior, either. It's just in a different league. Dozens more sliders, numbers on the sliders, the ability to apply an NPC's face morph to yours, the ability to customise NPCs, the list just goes on and on. It's a must-have. Plus, it even adds better character graphics.

Third? All the Unofficial Patch mods you can find. They make a big difference to reliability and playability. A big difference.

Fourth? On the general topic of better, more reliable, the Amidianborn Book Of Silence mod is a must for anyone who's computer cna handle it. Replaces a lot of data mostly regarding armour, vastly enhancing the graphics and artwork without changing the actual cut. Some of the enhanced armours, particularly the Elven and Ebony sets, are actually prettier than the fully mod-added gear. Still has the same shape and cut as stock armour, but the graphics and colours are much improved-texture detail is something like six times higher.

Fifth? Any of your choice of body/face mods. Choose wisely, you can essentially use these to choose the 'art style' of your character, from classic fantasy to... vaguely realistic. Your character should be something totally within your control; you're in charge of their story, and you may as well have similar control over how they look.

For me, comparing playing on console is like comparing driving a "sporty" compact car, to a thoroughbred Italian exotic. Sure, they do what you want them to, they're more than affordable, and some would say they're more practical. But once you've tasted the other option, there's really no comparison at all. PCs are like sports cars; insanely expensive, insanely powerful, often assembled by-hand to the specs chosen by the owner, and occasionally prone to overheating. There is no console/PC war because there is no comparison.

http://cdn.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/2007HondaCivicTypeR.jpghttp://cars-database.com/data_images/gallery/04/pagani-zonda-cinque/pagani-zonda-cinque-02.jpg

In my highly biased, elitist, maybe even bigoted opinion, one is for those who cannot afford the other, or who lack the technical skills to use it.

If someone offered you a $3000 gaming PC or an Xbox One, for free, I think most sane people would choose the PC.

Edited by Vindekarr

Thanks a lot! Ive installed everything mentioned and ohmygod is PC gaming amazing. <3

Just a tip for optimization.

In your options menu for Fallout 3 and Skyrim, you'll see options for antialiasing and anisotropic filtering.

I'd recommend 4X antialiasing and 8X anisotropic filtering, for the ideal mix of performance and graphics. Any lower, and you start to lose too much quality. Any higher, and some PCs start to drop frames per second.

Extra stuff:

Anisotropic Filtering is most important with HD textures. In vanilla Skyrim or Fallout 3 (or most games) 8X will be fine. If you start using HD textures, you'll want to increase that to 16X anisotropic Filtering.

If your performance is lower than you'd like, then you can also go to only 2X antialiasing. It'll still fix the worst of the jaggies.

Edited by Rennn