Best Mods?

OutLawJohn

Hey there. Just a simple little topic I wanted to post here for Fallout 4, I am just wondering what are some of the best mods to use on the game, I've used quite a few myself but I wanted to know some of other peoples opinions and what mods are good. So please do share some of the best mods so I have something to try out.

"Best" is REALLY subjective..... It just depends on what you are looking for. For a good idea of the most popular mods, sort by endorsements, or downloads. I think there is a 'most popular' category that differentiates between this week, and all time as well.

The mods I really enjoy and keep coming back to tend to be utilities or atmospheric.

FO4Edit is, by far, the most important utility (besides a mod manager), for modding. Besides the cleaning, error, and conflict finding uses, the ability to modify the game by making your own or modifying other mods makes this an absolute requirement. This is THE entry into modding. A ton of mods do amazing things simply using this tool. With FO4Edit you can go look at how they do it and use that for yourself. Also I HIGHLY recommend opening every mod you download to check their work. You can avoid so much trouble by checking mods. Tons of extraneous entries sloppily left behind? 27,000 form edits? Might want to give that mod a pass. Have a mod with multiple esps for dlc patches? Often you can very easily merge those into one. Want to flag a little mod into an esl? Click of the mouse. Have 47 single entry mods? Merge them into a personal settings patch. I cannot overstate how useful FO4Edit is. Get it, learn it, use it.

Basic utilities I consider must-haves are:

Cheat Engine

Survival Options

Even if you aren't interested in using these in play-throughs, the utility these provide for general mod testing make these as required as the UFOP imho.

Buffout4 - if you run a lot of mods this will eventually become a requirement. It has a non-standard installation which causes a lot of people headaches, but is worth taking the time to use this. The crash log alone is worth it, but it does a lot more.

Obviously mods like MCM (I see has been hidden two days ago, not good) and MCM Setting Manager - this is a new mod but it's functionality is amazing, cannot recommend this enough.

New start mods like Start Me Up and anything made by SKK50, help to cut out the same old early game drudgery. SKK's mods may not do exactly what you want, but they do exactly what they say they do. RTFM. I have an actual SKK section in my load order they are so important and useful.

Speaking of load order, read Fallout 4 Load Order Framework . I set up sections in my mod manager by this guide. Any new mod I simply put in the correct section, then load whatever mods I want for that playthrough from top to bottom and my load order is always correct. This saves so much time and frustration. Also use the "Notes" section of your mod manager, a simple note documenting any change you make or requirement for a mod can save you hours of grief.

When it comes to mod managers, Vortex is simpler, MO2 gives you more options. They both work. I will say MO2's different profile ability makes it the better choice for me.

AWKCR and ECO are great for in-game modding of Armor/Clothes/Weapons, pick one, not both. Handy utilities to have around.

After all the utility mods I mentioned above, the ones that really stick with me tend to be atmospheric.

True Storms - Beautiful

Vivid Weathers - Intense

Darker Nights - Changes your playstyle, in a good way

Radiant Clouds and Fogs - Beautiful, you will actually stop just to watch the sky at times

Any and all lighting, sound, and texture mods, you'll have to try those for yourself to see which you prefer.

I would recommend Live-action Mr Handy specifically, when the robots are searching for you (especially with Darker Nights) it is creepy af. Seeing a Mr. Gutsy's spotlight pivot towards you can be bone-chilling.

For sound I really enjoy Reverb and Ambiance Overhaul - for overall area ambience and weapon sounds

Not Great Not Terrible - A little mod that changes your rad meter audio, the first time you get into hard rads will certainly grab your attention

Fireflies - A neat mod that adds little floating lights. (Turn down the chance to make it special and rare)

Landscape mods like:

Boston Natural Surroundings and A Forest add so much. Not just visually, but gameplay-wise as well. Just want it to look better and more natural? BNS. Want it to be so thick it affects line-of-sight and how easily it is to stumble into enemies? A Forest.

I do find the preponderance of gun and armor mods boring. In my experience you get some armor or clothing mods, try them out and say "that's neat", then go back to using the in-game stuff. Nice, but not at all necessary. Same with gun mods, there's already more than enough in the base game. I find more enjoyment out of a simple loot-reducing mod than the 87th variant of the same gun from some other game.

After all it is really up to you. Try things out, you have tens of thousands of mods to sample, enjoy.

Edited by nexusclod