Info on building SKSE mods for 1.6.x

baloney8sammich

Are there any good sources of instructions/info on converting & building SKSE mods (that haven't been updated from 1.5.97) for 1.6.x? OTOH if this is a case of "if you have to ask, you're probably not capable of accomplishing it" feel free to say so plainly. Thanks.

Edited by baloney8sammich

I frankly admit I couldn't convert a mod to AE myself. So, your last sentence might be true.

From my understanding, there are some things to consider:

1. Most mods for 1.5.97 just work in AE. No action required.

2. If a mod REALLY needs updating, it's more than just some simple steps (like e.g. the routines for "porting" most "Oldrim" mods to SE/AE, which can be explained in a video tutorial or a small guide). "Problematic" are mods using .dll files ore relying on more complex frameworks, that haven't been updated yet. Also mods using features of SKSE that don't work the sayme way as before are affected.

In these cases, code would have to be rewritten, files would have to be recompiled (which usually means you need the source code). Some mod authors stated they would have to rebuild their mods more or less from scratch. Unfortunately, there isn't much we mod users can do. Here's some more info on the problem from the creators of SKSE..

3. The number of mods that really don't work with AE is limited. IMHO still the best and most comprehensive overview can be found here:

https://modding.wiki/en/skyrim/users/skse-plugins.

Often there are also AE compatible workarounds or alternatives. E.g. instead of "AddItemMenu", which ddidn't get an update yet, there's QUI. Maybe if you ask more specifically what type of mods you're interested in, people here can give some advice.

"Problematic" are mods using .dll files ore relying on more complex frameworks, that haven't been updated yet.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. It's a .dll plugin in particular I'm talking about.

Thanks for the modding.wiki link.

One thing to keep in mind is that by now a large majority of SKSE mods that can be relatively easily ported have already been done. The ones that remain are the ones that require special knowledge or extra work.

The author of one mod I used to use has given the indication he's unlikely to ever support 1.6.x, for what you might call "philosophical reasons". It's an Address Library dependent plugin, source released under MIT license but AFAICT it hasn't been ported by another modder. Possibly because the author originally explicitly prohibited porting to AE (like I said "philosophical reasons").

re; choosing to restrict a license. That IS their choice.

I suppose, presuming you have the coding skills, you could write a new mod for AE/1.6x that resembles theirs in function. (yes, I realize that's not ideal, and I'm not trying to be snarky)

If it uses the Address Library, that might make it easier. The creator of the Address Library has some info in their download section about updating the memory locations. You might even be able to find some useful help there.

Thanks, I will look into that.

re; choosing to restrict a license. That IS their choice.

Not sure what you're saying here. Of course it's true that the license is the author's choice, but once something has been released under a license (an open source license anyway) it can't be retroactively restricted or revoked. Given that the latest source was released under MIT license, generally speaking there are no restrictions on what anyone could do.

As to whether Nexus permissions and/or miscellaneous author commentary overrides the license, I suppose that's the case in the limited context of the Nexus, but not in any broader context.