AMD Mantle

JimboUK

I can't wait for the this to come with the catalyst drivers, if they are for sure shipping this with every high end drivers, like the 7900 and above.

We could see a huge boost in performance increase.

I can't wait for the this to come with the catalyst drivers, if they are for sure shipping this with every high end drivers, like the 7900 and above.

A game would have to be coded in it. There will most likely not be a performance increase in any games already using DX or OpenGL.

Yeah, but it will boost performance only for graphical software coded using Mantle as API, OpenGL and DX applications will not benefit from it. As for supported Southern Islands cards, 77xx/78xx/79xx series cards are built on GCN architecture, rest of the 7xxx series are built on a different architecture.

Still means a boost with those coded games in mind, meaning that my crossfire rig already outperforms next gen :smile:. Yup 150fps in directx 11 games, even consoles couldn't do that. just imagine that with mantle if its as optimized as dx 11 and uses the cores to its full potential like dx 11 does. The next gen consoles already seem more next gen with this api, i see it would utilize the same cores as pc.

The future of consoles is looking brighter :thumbsup:

your missing out on something Werne when it comes to gaming, directx 11. the one thing directly tied to the kernel itself.

Edited by Thor.

Direct X isn't optimised at all, that's the problem with it. This lets devs write straight to the metal bypassing Direct X to get the performance consoles enjoy, anyway we'll know in December when it comes to BF4.

your missing out on something Werne when it comes to gaming, directx 11. the one thing directly tied to the kernel itself.

Yup, which is why on Windows a bug in DX can bring the whole system down with a BSOD. :smile:

Anyway, back to topic. What I'm wondering is, how does this affect the games designed for Mantle. DX and OpenGL work for both Nvidia and AMD cards, but Mantle doesn't. Since a game can't use two APIs at the same time, will the games built to use AMD's Mantle work on Nvidia cards or will games have additional functionality in their libraries for using DX/OpenGL as fallback?

Edited by Werne

You used to be able to pick between Direct X or OpenGL in some games, maybe the choice between DirectX/OpenGL or Mantle will be offered when the game detects the correct hardware? What I find interesting about BF4 is they're adding it via a patch which suggests games don't have to be built from the ground up for it.

Also Nvidia's next card will actually have something like this as well. So AMDs CPUs and GPUs will have Mantle software, and Nvidia will have something that will work just like it in the 800 series cards. Great combo in the works it sounds like. So hopefully everyone is holding off till next year to update their PCs as this will be a massive leap foward in tech, if it doesn't fall flat in this run.