Why can't I find my own most recent messages?

mikegray

I've been in contact with forum admins, but we don't seem to be making much progress. Maybe someone here can help me out:

Since mid-September, when I run \ advanced search \ find author \ with my own username, I get hit up until the 16th of September - but no later, even though I've done a lot of posting in the meantime.

Has anyone else ever had this problem - and maybe even figured out how to fix it? It's enormously irritating!

To find my own posts, I use the My Contents link found by clicking on my username on the upper left hand corner of any forum page. It is not updated immediately but usually updates within an hour or two at the most. Although there were some issues when they were sorting out the server cluster thing. Everything seems to be working with it now.

I even did a search for my own posts as you indicated that you do and my most recent posts showed up there. So... I wouldn't say it is normal but I would say that there are times when it may not work as expected.

To find my own posts, I use the My Contents link found by clicking on my username on the upper left hand corner of any forum page. It is not updated immediately but usually updates within an hour or two at the most. Although there were some issues when they were sorting out the server cluster thing. Everything seems to be working with it now.

I even did a search for my own posts as you indicated that you do and my most recent posts showed up there. So... I wouldn't say it is normal but I would say that there are times when it may not work as expected.

Thanks for that response!

How many hits do you get in the "My Content" link? I only get five, which is pretty restrictive. But yes: at least that one stays up to date.

Anyway, my search results have now been stuck on Sept. 16 since Sept.16, and I've run out of patience. Two weeks is too long.

(For example, I'm currently trying to learn how to create a healer mod, so I've asked various kinds of questions in a whole bunch of different places. Not having any simple way of keeping track of my own posts makes the whole process far more difficult than it needs to be.)

BTW, do your topic subscriptions work? Only a few of mine do, and none of thee newer ones.

Edited by mikegray

Hits? Not sure what you mean by hits when using the My Content link. Without any restrictions on the left side. I have 39 pages of threads that I have posted in with the last post dated from today backwards for a full year.

I wouldn't know about topic subscriptions. I don't use that feature. I prefer to simply scan the most recent posts rather than follow anything specific.

Well, I for one can search up your recent posts by your username quite fine. I go to Advanced Search, 'find author': "mikegray", and am presented with your posts from today, yesterday, 26 September, 27 April, and so on quite fine. Nothing's stuck at 16 September or anything out of the ordinary. Of course I can impossibly know when posts of your's are missing in the list though. Any posts in particular you're missing? Maybe someone else can check if they're missing for them, too.

Make sure you're not having any further restrictions in place on your search results when searching within Advanced Search. It's easy to have a filter to search inside a certain subforum only in place without ever noticing, for example. Also it could be that search results are 'cached' in some way. This site is known to regularly have issues with local cache on some users' systems (like read topic markings disappearing after a couple days without there ever being a new response, or cookie information getting completely lost on a regular basis and taking all preferences and recently stored settings down with it).

The 'My Content' link from my profile so far has never let me down either. As it's a generated list it sometimes took some time in the past for it to receive my latest post, but nowadays it's just lightning fast as always. I could go click that link right after I'm done posting here and this very post of mine would show up almost 100% guaranteed.

edit: Ok, not in the list, yet. Will keep checking until it shows up. Shouldn't take too long, though.

edit2: And there it is, only 10 minutes later. For a, as I suspect, cronjob-generated list I consider this lightning-fast indeed. Just think of the total number of posts there must be in the database table by now, by millions and millions of users... and don't expect there to be an easy way to segment this massive list by poster or even forum or something to speed up query times!

As for the topic subscriptions, or preferences in general, those are known to have been lost for some users to some extent during the most recent events in site maintenance. And the preferences in general still deny to stick for some people, for a reason yet unknown until today.

Edited by DrakeTheDragon

Thanks, Drake!

As of this afternoon - somewhere around 3pm (European time) - the whole thing finally de-glitched.

I can now see all of my posts - either by means of an author search OR by means of the "my content" option. I can hardly tell you how much more fun it is - the whole thing has been stopped up for a couple weeks now ...

(BTW, on the "my content" thing: for a long time now, that page was always up-to-date - but it only ever gave my last 5 posts!)

Since I sent the admin team a few screenshots, I'm guessing that the screenshots gave sufficient proof that something was messed up, and they were able to reset my account.

Edited by mikegray