Helmet FPS

PzKpfwIV

I just got this idea, and maybe this is a request due to my lack of modding capability.

Have anyone ever played Star Wars: Republic Commando? Its cool isn't it in FPS to have your eyes rather limited view in the clone helmet.

Now what I have in mind is that is it possible to implement such vision limitation in Fallout 3 in FPS mode? Like when you're inside a power armor's helmet, there are 'dark' or at least 'technologically textured' outlines that limits view. (like what you wear is what you 'see' through it.)

Or when your character's equipped with a sunglasses the area became a little bit darker, so to speak. Now, is that possible?

Just suggesting ideas, thanks!

Or when your character's equipped with a sunglasses the area became a little bit darker, so to speak. Now, is that possible?

That would be very possible - just use a scripted object effect and a "night vision" ImageSpace Modifier with a script like this:

Begin ScriptEffectStart
if GetIsReference player
	ApplyImageSpaceModifier <NightVision>
endif
End

Begin ScriptEffectFinish
if GetIsReference player
	RemoveImageSpaceModifier <NightVision>
endif
End

I don't think this approach can be used to block certain sections of the player's view, but a mod like that was made for Oblivion, so I imagine that it would be possible, assuming that Fallout 3 has the required functionality.

Cipscis

That would be very possible - just use a scripted object effect and a "night vision" ImageSpace Modifier with a script like this:

Begin ScriptEffectStart
if GetIsReference player
	ApplyImageSpaceModifier <NightVision>
endif
End

Begin ScriptEffectFinish
if GetIsReference player
	RemoveImageSpaceModifier <NightVision>
endif
End

I don't think this approach can be used to block certain sections of the player's view, but a mod like that was made for Oblivion, so I imagine that it would be possible, assuming that Fallout 3 has the required functionality.

Cipscis

The sunglasses dimming the view is an awesome idea, would add some nice atmosphere. May even do that myself.

Also, I wonder if it'd be possible to use a similar system to the weapon scope, where a mesh is used to modify the screen. A custom mesh that simulates the helmet would need to be made of course.

Also, I wonder if it'd be possible to use a similar system to the weapon scope, where a mesh is used to modify the screen. A custom mesh that simulates the helmet would need to be made of course.
I created a sample script for a "night vision" scope a while ago, but I never had anything to use it with. It's not quite the same as blocking part of the view, but the "skeleton" can be used to apply an effect only when the player is looking down the scope of a weapon. Here's the code if you're interested:
ScriptName NightVisionScopeSCRIPT

short sIsIModActive

Begin GameMode

if player.IsWeaponInList NightVisionScopeList
	if IsPlayerActionActive 9 != sIsIModActive
		if sIsIModActive
			RemoveImageSpaceModifier NightVisionScope
		else
			ApplyImageSpaceModifier NightVisionScope
		endif
		set sIsIModActive to sIsIModActive == 0
	endif
endif

End

The "NightVisionScopeList" is a Form List containing all weapons with the effect. I've used this approach so that the effect can be applied to multiple weapons, and I don't need to use FOSE's GetEquippedObject.

That's funny, when I was searching through my PM archives for the code that I posted above I found some PMs that CrazyAce had sent me about the scripting in that mod. What a small world!

Archived