Quick Question - Quick Answer

Cipscis

It's not about fleeing gunfire. That's different.

Try with follow packages, i've seen companions bypassing locked doors when trying to get to the player.

I've also come to the conclusion that console-locked doors are treated differently than esp-locked doors, tho i may be wrong. locking the door via script may have a similar effect.

I set the NPC to follow player and if the door is locked, he starts running around the jail like a madman but can't get through the door. Again, if I pick the lock or unlock the door in geck he opens the door and gets to the player. That said, he once happened to teleport to me even though the door was locked and the player was in the same cell (geck cell, not jail cell). I couldn't replicate the teleportation, but one time is still one too many, that shouldn't happen. At least they don't seem to actually open the doors.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had followers teleport before, though that was a problem with Navmesh and they couldn't find a path to me. So maybe they teleport cause you got too far away and they couldn't pathfind?

That's actually a very good guess, because I hadn't navmeshed the whole cell and if I remember correctly, the teleport happened when I was away from navmeshed area! It still makes no sense that the NPC's do that, but at least it offers a possibility of preventing that.

Question 1: Is there any reason or situation in which the game will stop running 'OnEquip' blocks? I'm using on on a piece of hotkeyed armor, and after about 1 or 2 times equips, it stops working.

The equip block itself is fairly short, but it's in the same script as a very large GameMode block. Might this have something too do with it?

Question 2: In what situation can you use ScriptEffectUpdate, instead of a GameMode block, as opposed to a situation when you HAVE to use GameMode.

ScriptEffectUpdate is for effects, gamemode is for everything else.

If the game finds he can't process a line in a script, there's a high chance the game will stop the script then and there, and refuse to run any line from it until you close the game and open it again. That may be what's causing you issue.

Sooo if I want a script to have the effect of showing a menu then, following up on the result, which one should I use?

Any frequent offenders in the 'works-only-once' department?

Edit: The most likely offender I found would be this line:

if RemoveWeapon != 0

In which 'RemoveWeapon' is a reference variable, set back to 0 at the end to signal that the script is done for now.

So: can a reference variable be set to '0' with the line:

set RemoveWeapon to 0

Got it, it was a line with

set Removeweapon to AAAweapon 1 1

which doesn't work too well.

Script sepuku happens most of the time when you call functions on references that are of the incorrect type, invalid, do not exist, or exist but not persistent and in the same map.

Setting a ref to 0 or comparing it to 0 shouldnt cause it, calling a function on it after setting it to 0 is likely to cause it tho.

ScriptEffectUpdate is for base effects, and only base effects (you can add base effects to actor, weapon and armor effects).

GameMode for everything else: quests, trigger boxes, activators, actors, items, weapons, etc.

So what is a base effect, when can it be used?

iow. how do you make a ScriptEffect-start/update/finish block run?

Base Effect Link <-- Click this link to learn about base effects.

Blocks Link <-- Click to learn about ScriptEffect Blocks