Quick Question - Quick Answer

Cipscis

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to put some mods (yep I'm just a noob here) so i downloaded this:

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=944

And when i opened to it wrote the it can't find the Fallout 3 folder. Even after i located the Fallout 3 folder the program doesn't work.

Here's what you do... drop the ArchieveInvalidation

Go here: http://fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=640

Download it

Run it

On the right hand side there's a button that says toggle invalidation. This will do it itself and it should work because you installed the FOMM in your Fallout directory.

Good luck on mods.

@t3hf4ll0ut:

That script definitely doesn't look like it should cause crashes. The only crash related specifically to activation that I know of occurs when using a perk with an "Activate" type entry point set to "Run Immediately". I don't suppose you're testing one of these as well?

@Quetzlsacatanango:

I don't think I'd call that foolish, I'd also assumed that it would remain. It looks like a couple of posts have disappeared, although I'm not sure why. I'm in the process of finding out what happened and hopefully getting those posts returned, but if that doesn't happen soon then I'll re-answer your question. I'd probably just said not to use "!= 0" on an entire condition, as it doesn't transform the data in a meaningful way.

As for your question about AI, have a look at this page on the GECK Wiki - How Are Packages Evaluated.

@portbash:

You should be able to use FOSE's SetName, although keep in mind that this acts on the base object so the method that arachnidzone recommended is probably a better solution in the case. SetName is mostly only useful on "unique" objects.

Cipscis

I ended up scrapping the last worldspace, as I felt it didn't fit in with the rest of my mod, and some parts were not working properly. So I have a new problem-

You are tasked to restore power to a metro station, and must fix conductors in a Utility Tunnel. The second conductor you fix, I want lights to turn on one by one, using a timed script. I'm doing this by replacing rusted lights that are off with ones that are on, and placing a light marker at the same marker it's replaced. But it's only turning on the first one, and not the rest. I've been fiddling with it back and forth for the past hour or so, but I can't seem to figure it out. I stopped at the second light (there are five of them) since the second isn't even working.

;////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
;Second wire, lights flip on one by one.
;////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
float timerWireSwitch
short WireFixed

begin onActivate

;------------------------------FIRST LIGHT------------------------------------

if WireFixed == 0

set timerWireSwitch to 5
set WireFixed to 1

if timerWireSwitch == 5
set timerWireSwitch to timerWireSwitch - getSecondsPassed
		ElecArc2.disable
		UtlLight2.disable
	LightOn2.PlaceAtMe LightCeilingVaultR01on
	LightOn2.PlaceAtMe VaultWarm512
	PlaySound OBJDLC04LighthouseStart
	UtilityQuestMarker2.PlaceAtMe TrapLaserTripwireReceiver01

;------------------------------SECOND LIGHT------------------------------------

if timerWireSwitch == 4
set timerWireSwitch to timerWireSwitch - getSecondsPassed
		Wire2.disable
		UtlLight3.disable
	LightOn3.PlaceAtMe LightCeilingVaultR01on
	LightOn3.PlaceAtMe VaultWarm512
endif
endif
endif

End

I contacted buddah via PM about the missing posts and here is his response:

There was a forum data base corruption yesterday morning. Forums had to be reset with the latest backup....about a days worth of post are gone into oblivion.
If any unanswered questions have been removed, please repost them. If an answer has been removed, please let the poster know so that it can (hopefully) be reposted.

@Quetzlsacatanango:

Hmm, I think I see what you mean - you can add your AI package but you can't prevent the actor's original AI from taking over, right? If you want to completely replace the actor's AI packages, then you'll need to account for all possible situations and add appropriate AI packages in your token script, so that packages added via AddScriptPackage will override the actor's default packages.

@EMHThat script isn't working because you're trying to run a timer via GetSecondsPassed in an OnActivate block, and because your "timerWireSwitch" variable is never set to a value of 4. You'll want to use both an OnActivate and a GameMode block. You might also want to use a Staged Timer. For example, this script will activate the first light on activation, then the second light after 5 seconds:

float fTimer
int iStage
; 0 - Wires broken
; 1 - Fix first light
; 2 - Fix second light
; 3 - Wires fixed, lights on

Begin OnActivate

if iStage
else ; if iStage == 0 ; Wires broken
	set iStage to 1 ; Fix first light
endif

End

Begin GameMode

if fTimer > 0
	set fTimer to fTimer - GetSecondsPassed
elseif iStage == 1
	set iStage to 2 ; Fix second light
	set fTimer to 5

ElecArc2.Disable
	UtlLight2.Disable
	LightOn2.PlaceAtMe LightCeilingVaultR01on
	LightOn2.PlaceAtMe VaultWarm512
	UtilityQuestMarker2.PlaceAtMe TrapLaserTripwireReceiver01
elseif iStage == 2
	set iStage to 3 ; Wires fixed, lights on

Wire2.Disable
	UtlLight3.Disable
	LightOn3.PlaceAtMe LightCeilingVaultR01on
	LightOn3.PlaceAtMe VaultWarm512
endif

End

You may also be able to shorten your code by using Enable Parenting. Keep in mind, as well, that it'd be more efficient to use Enable than PlaceAtMe, and an abundance of disabled references (especially statics) shouldn't affect performance.

Cipscis

You may also be able to shorten your code by using Enable Parenting. Keep in mind, as well, that it'd be more efficient to use Enable than PlaceAtMe, and an abundance of disabled references (especially statics) shouldn't affect performance.

Cipscis

Thanks :) . The reason I decided not to use enable was because the lights (both on and off) are in the same place, making it more difficult if I wanted to move them around, or check on their Reference ID. I'll probably fiddle around with timing a bit more, but it works perfectly!

I agree that it can be quite a hassle to have multiple references in the same place, but there are a couple of ways to make it easier. In some situations, you may simple be able to hide the references (by selecting them then pressing the "1" key twice). Otherwise, you could create a temporary cell containing the "on" or "off" lights in the appropriate positions, and use Paste in Place to move them into the actual cell when you're done working with them. This method is preferable when working with a lot of "alternate" references, such as when creating different themes for a house or something.

Cipscis

I agree that it can be quite a hassle to have multiple references in the same place, but there are a couple of ways to make it easier. In some situations, you may simple be able to hide the references (by selecting them then pressing the "1" key twice). Otherwise, you could create a temporary cell containing the "on" or "off" lights in the appropriate positions, and use Paste in Place to move them into the actual cell when you're done working with them. This method is preferable when working with a lot of "alternate" references, such as when creating different themes for a house or something.

Cipscis

Thanks, I'll keep these suggestions in mind for the next conductor :) .

Okay, here's hoping this hasn't been asked and answered yet.

I'm having issues with disappearing objects, both from the Cell View Objects List and the Viewport.

I'm new to the GECK (And modding in general really,) and I was following the My First Vault tutorial. I had gotten to about the bottom of this page; http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php/Bethsoft_Tutorial_Layout

I had noticed before after opening the GECK and loading up the vault74.esp that some of my placed objects from earlier had disappeared. I replaced them, continued and gotten most of the galley done when I saved and quit, did other things , and came back. It was then I realized that the entire section of the vault entrance (Cave, vault door, and room outside the first hallway,) had disappeared.

Even saving in increments didn't help. (IE: vault74a. vault74b. etc. and so on.) My last save attempt had almost everything disappear, sans a couple of the first hallway pieces.

Anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.