Building a gaming PC specialized for Skyrim.

Dovahking96

At this point in time, what with the next generation of consoles using an 8-core AMD CPU and Mantle-compatible GPUs (AMD 7000, R200 series), it would be wise to purchase an AMD 8320/8350 alongside a GPU such as the HD 7870.

A lot of people have the same thinking, but it all comes down to...

1) How well or not the PC version is optimized.

2) How good or not the drivers for a particular brand of GPU are

3) Personal preference

The Xbox 360 has an AMD GPU in it, but Skyrim & many other games run a lot better on Nvidia hardware simply because Nvidia is quicker to address game performance via driver updates than AMD. This sounds like fanboy talk, but it's not. This is first-hand experience over many, many years of owning and using high-end AMD and Nvidia hardware (currently using Nvidia 600 series). So, it's not just about what hardware the consoles will use because consoles and PCs are still different even though the new consoles will be based on x86 architecture compared to previous generations.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have any recommendations for places to buy the PC parts needed at a lowered price or discounts to save money?

i built mine on newegg parts and it was cheap for what i got.

This is the PC I recently bought. I got it for the same reason you did Dovahking96. I wanted to be able to unlock Skyrim's full potential. Plus have something that would hopefully last awhile and play new games in the future. This PC is defiantly not budget friendly though. Like my dear friend rhowington said you can save allot of money by building your own. If you can do that successfully then take his advice.

As for me this is what I decided to get:

PC: - Alienware custom built. Premium Liquid Cooling.
Processor: - Intel® Core™ i7-4820K Processor. (10M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz).
Operating System: - Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit.
Memory: - 16GB (4 X 4GB) Quad Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz.
Hard Drive: - 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s.
Video Card: - NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 690 4GB GDDR5.

At this point in time, what with the next generation of consoles using an 8-core AMD CPU and Mantle-compatible GPUs (AMD 7000, R200 series), it would be wise to purchase an AMD 8320/8350 alongside a GPU such as the HD 7870

i built a pc with the AMD FX-8350 and an Nvidia GTX 770 and actually had better performance than my friend's pc and he has the same one except he has the top dog AMD GPU.

This is the PC I recently bought. I got it for the same reason you did Dovahking96. I wanted to be able to unlock Skyrim's full potential. Plus have something that would hopefully last awhile and play new games in the future. This PC is defiantly not budget friendly though. Like my dear friend rhowington said you can save allot of money by building your own. If you can do that successfully then take his advice.

As for me this is what I decided to get:

PC: - Alienware custom built. Premium Liquid Cooling.

Processor: - Intel® Core™ i7-4820K Processor. (10M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz).

Operating System: - Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit.

Memory: - 16GB (4 X 4GB) Quad Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz.

Hard Drive: - 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s.

Video Card: - NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 690 4GB GDDR5.

UGH... Alienware......... OVERPRICED DELL!!! i cant satnd those computers. that probbly ran what 3000 or close to it. mine will perform just as well and probbly 1/2 the price

I also keep getting mixed reviews based on what I should go with. I'm slowly trying to wrap my head around this as I don't want to spend a lot of money on something that I do not require.

I can relate to you on the mixed reviews. Left me scratching my head. :confused: Alienware will run you about $3000.00. I didn't want to take any chances so I just went that route. Like others have said you can probably build an awesome PC yourself for half that price and still do very well.

Well i mean you can spend x max amount of money on a PC but there is no guarantee it will perform better for Skyrim.

Skyrim is limited in what it can do, and no matter how much $ you throw at it, it won't get any better after a certain point.

But if you plan on playing other games like the newer ones coming out then you might as well get the best you can afford at this time.

If you go intel Processor though i5 > i7 don't waste $ on an i7.

Do not buy Alienware.... The only thing a 2k$ alienware PC buys you is the Label. You can build a better rig for half or even more then half of that.

Even if you don't know what you are doing just ask someone you know who does, or a forum.

Thank you all for responding. So it may cost more than $750? I'm willing to save up for $1000 if I have to. I would like to be able to upgrade it in the future if the need to do so arises. I actually found a pre built PC onhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1418794

Would this PC be viable for running Skyrim at it's optimal level with many mods installed or am I still better off building my own?

even Newegg is really a great shop , don't buy a combo, you can can build the same Pc or buy a better setup directly from the manufacturer , then choose Amd or Intel basis, i5 or i7 last gen with 8 gb ram will cost 550 to 900 + $ but then you need a good GC, the best is 2 Go Vram or above, which cost 250 to 1000 $ more

CyberpowerPc for ex

azus mb

i7 4770k 3.4 ghz ( good for OC or a i5 4670k)

800 w psu

8 go ram (up to 32)

gtx 760 2gb vram

be patient grab 1200 $ and you will be good for the next 2 years :D, then go for 8 more go, a 2nd GC for Sli etc..

@@

edit :i agree with Fifteen Spades, Alienware is no more a good deal, you can build better and cheaper than that

Edited by korun