Native Weapons, Horker Tusk Club Help with my mod

bluntfang

That would be me :D

Ah! I have those videos downloaded. I was hoping they'd be useful if I could find a cheaper programme or a freeware version. I always recommend them to people wanting to make custom meshes and textures from images of weapons they have found on the net etc.

But when I looked up the price of Cinema4D it was extortionate! :wacko: I'd loved to have custom meshes for my Silver, Mitrhil and Death Hound Smithing mods, but I had to just recolour Vanilla steel to be slivery, pale blue-ish and black.

ShadyBladey: I will make them craftable, but probably not via the forge. I prefer to use the tanning rack, that way you can make them without having to go into a town (which is the whole point).

The most annoying thing about making them craftable is the ingredients, there are not large bone or skull ingredients and i am reluctant to clutter up leveled lists. With my own game I get around this by using the "large animal bone" out of hunterborn but I don't necessarily want to make it dependent on another mod for release

Good idea about the tanning rack.

You could always make a duplicate of that bone and add it to your esp as a separate item. I'm sure the other author won't mind if you ask. Or if you load it with your mod active, you could copy it into your mod with the same Form ID as in Hunterborn. That's another mod I've been meaning to try for a while.

Otherwise you'd have to flag Hunterborn as required by your mod. But if your recipes depend on the Hunterborn Form ID for the bone, your mod will not work for other people without Hunterborn, unless you have that same Form in your mod. or is it that you are relying on Hunterborn's levelled lists?

I used to be very wary of messing with levelled lists, but they are not as frightening as they seem at first. You could add certain bones and skulls to the Forsworn Boss chests and have a few on Forsworn NPCs when they die and add them to some of the wild animals. The only real issue is if another mod also changes those levelled lists. Then, I think you need to use Wrye Bash to merge them.

EG one mod I am working on adds better poisons to the world and I've added them to levelled lists so they appear in Falmer, Forsworn, Hagraven and bandit drops and chests.

So if you also add bones etc to Forsworn drops and chests, then either your mod or my mod will take priority based on load order, unless Wrye bash merges them.

But I have never used Wrye Bash, so it looks like a good time to learn! As I have never used it, I can't expect everyone else to use it, but using levelled lists is much easier, quicker and safer than manually placing them in the game world. So it's time I learned, as I WILL want to try your mod when it's ready. :)

~.~

• 1 month later...

me too @ release ... i had similar ideas about the bones as a handle for my skull weapons (--> http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/44371/? )but decided to stick to orichalcum for my orc-horde (i also couldnt find a bone strong enough for my mammothhammer :wink: ... and was just reading this post here out of curiosity. and to add my 2 cents on it, with your first tries im sure you didnt join your meshes... to give you a small ideat about the complexity about modding, weapons are static and as such much easier than bows and armor. when you lets say work in blender (freeware) be SURE to join your pieces to a single "mesh" before going the way back by nif-files - ck - skyrim. i also made that mistake when i started making my own stuff :smile:

the reason for it is that setting up the shaders for several pieces in one nif-file is a pain in the axx and highlevel work as far as i know, smartest move is to put the stuff together the way you want and making A SINGLE piece out of it, the rest after some practice becomes fast routine... keep on modding :smile:

*cheers* :wink:

Edited by chicky540

Yeah, I confess this last month has been a bit crazy, work and RL stuff. It isn't dead.

I don't like some of the weapon placement. Some of the bone handles look fine until you equip gloves, then I am getting some clipping. I am tweaking them a tad to make it work.

I am out of town for the holidays, hopefully try and get things together for a release in the next couple of weeks but no promises.

I do appreciate the interest.