Where to start in troubleshooting a CTD error?

PuceMooose

Hello everyone,

Recently I released my second mod, An Evening With Mr. Manchester.

It works fine for most people, but it seems that some users who are far advanced in the main quest are experiencing CTD errors when they try to load a save game with the mod enabled.

My mod makes no changes to any existing quests. Any suggestions for ideas on where to start looking? I've spent about 10 hours already ripping out random scripts and references to see if that helps. So far nothing I've done has had any effect.

If anyone feels motivated enough to open up the .esp in the GECK and see if you spot any elementary errors I've made please feel free.

Is there an easy way to compare two .esps? I have a version of the mod from about 10 days ago that does not generate this error. Unfortunately, I've made literally thousands of changes since that 'working' esp, so I'm having trouble isolating the troublemaker.

Thanks in advance for any help.

fo3edit can compare.

You *probably* deleted something from the mod, and for those that had it in an advanced state, it was "spawned" already.

Ah, FO3edit! i'd completely forgotten about it. That may be a good place to start. Thanks.

I bet you're on to something with the deletion thing. I've found a few cells that show the * next to them, indicating changes. However, in the right hand pane, I can't find any changes (*) items.

If this has been done, is there a way to tell the GECK to revert the cell to normal / restore the deleted item?

fo3edit can X3

Holy. CRAP! I think that might have done it! I'll have to do a full run through to make sure, but it's loading now with the file that always crashed it. Wheee!!

Thanks SO MUCH! Kudos time.

Archived