bican203

I must add one thing, as you seem to talk about this rather bakward. You should learn 3d not via Skyrim, but use Skyrim as an inspiration and motivation. If you only look for Skyrim-related tutorials, you get nowhere. However, if you learn to model, then how to convert to Skyrim, you are set in stone.

You do not learn via Skyrim and grow out of Skyrim, you learn to model and grow in to Skyrim.

Of course, this does not apply if it is editting already made meshes. Other than that, you should focus on the modelling before Skyrim. Start simple. Made a crate, or a sword -- that's how I started. In the end you learn to use the exporter, learn Nifskope and you are free to do whatever you want. You are not limited to Skyrim, Syrim is only the canvas you apply your already made painting -- or so to speak.

Matth

Thanks for the advice Matth, it's well appretiated :)

I must add one thing, as you seem to talk about this rather bakward. You should learn 3d not via Skyrim, but use Skyrim as an inspiration and motivation. If you only look for Skyrim-related tutorials, you get nowhere. However, if you learn to model, then how to convert to Skyrim, you are set in stone.

You do not learn via Skyrim and grow out of Skyrim, you learn to model and grow in to Skyrim.

Of course, this does not apply if it is editting already made meshes. Other than that, you should focus on the modelling before Skyrim. Start simple. Made a crate, or a sword -- that's how I started. In the end you learn to use the exporter, learn Nifskope and you are free to do whatever you want. You are not limited to Skyrim, Syrim is only the canvas you apply your already made painting -- or so to speak.

Matth

I do hear you but still have to disagree. Learning something can be done in several ways as goals are different for different personalities. Modeling abstract outside of a given environment and then applying constraints to get it into Skyrim might appeal to one group. There is at least one other big group -which i count myself into - that isnt interested in the general approach at all but aims for fast and visible results in a given environment. Abstracting via doing the actual job is what we do then. So you are not right when you say one cant learn via Skyrim - quite the contrary for persons like me. As we have to reduce our approaches we can learn faster and add additional knowledge first afterwards when its really needed. I tried your approach and had to ditch everything i learned about cloth modifiers etc very quickly again when trying to put that stuff into the Skyrim world where i needed it - loss of time and effort.

I completely agree to your appraoch though if you intend to become a general modeller - which i did not and i didnt feel that the OP was asking for general modelling but very specificly for Skyrim.

It isn't different wether you want to mod for Skyrim, or make a self made game or simply do studies for yourself. 3d is 3d. If you go strictly via Skyrim related, you will be shorthanded. The tutorials will run out quickly. Why single through 5 Skyrim tutorials to learn the basic, when all you need is to type "3ds max basic" on youtube, and when you got that you can type "Skyrim 3ds max".

I do talk in broader terms here. When you mention stuff as cloth modifiers and all that, then yes -- one should focus on Skyrim. But that is simply because of how the engine works.

The best approach, and fastest, is to learn your software. You do that before you think about modelling anything for anything other than yourself. It is of little use to try and modify an armor when you do not know the different between edit poly and edit mesh, or how the symmetry modifier works. Perhaps you want to add a layer to the armor, but not knowing about the shell modifier.

You see, and I do try not to disagree and say that this is the right way and anything else is wrong, you need to learn to stand before you learn to walk.

It all comes down to what you want to do, yes. But if you start 3d for a game, and do it enough -- trust me, it does become a hobby. Then it is nice to have the basic set in stone for whatever new game you want to mod, or perhaps you want to make something just for yourself?

To correct a previous statement of mine: You can learn via Skyrim, but I recommend against it. It might be faster, yes. But the experience and fun gained from learning it from the base is so much more valuable when a new TES game comes out. Especially if it's a new engine and all you've gotten used to is gone.

This comes from experience. I first started as you describe. However, back then there were limited tutorials on certain stuff.

What I mean to say is: Learning 3d for Skyrim is awesome! But do not limit yourself to SKyrim related tutorials. 3d is 3d no matter, and learning it is fun!

Again, I try not to come off as saying it is wrong to only do it, but I recommend thinking a little bigger :) Just a friendly advice from somebody who is self-taught the last 3,5 years.

Matth

@Matth85 I guess you didnt read this post then - i stated pretty clearly that one might outgrow his tutorials regarding modeling quickly as more knowledge than just Skyrim stuff will be needed

quote" @Terra Reason to suggest him is that he is basically the best a newcomer can start with regarding Skyrim. You might grow out of his level of expertise in modelling etc quickly but then you will be able to figure out where to look for it yourself already. He never aimed to be the best modelling tutorial but he delivers pretty much everything that is important to know about Skyrim specifics when it comes to starting with modding."

As of 'best' and 'fastest' approach in your 3rd para - thats exactly the point i cant agree on. I did exactly that and got overwhelmed with irrelevant information regarding 'basics' in 3ds max which cant be apllied to any Skyrim-stuff at all. Its like driving a car - learning the base principles that apply to any car is fine, learning one particular car in all its details first before driving live doesnt make much sense when its for a hobby purpose or the occasional run with that type of car. Or to use a discussion specific example: how and where to skin your newly created armor parts to wont be explained at all in any 3ds max general help/tutorial but thats what most people have a lot of trouble with as its very specific and involves additional tools which are explained in that series as well.

I had quick and fast success creating something completely new for Skyrim by following those tutorials and that success actually was the bigger motivation as i knew i can manage to create a actual result that is working ingame. The next step was to make it better, nicer, more complex and so on. Exactly as you say: crawl, walk , run - just with a different definition of what is crawling :smile:

P.S.: The OP was pretty much a precise description of the trouble i had when i tried to create something for Skyrim the first time. I didnt count the hours of reading up and fiddling with versions of blender etc when i stumbled over the nightasy turorials. I switched to his approach and voala: i created something in less than a day actually. It might be the dummy approach but i admit i was a complete dummy at that time and it helped me a lot more than anthing else.

Edited by dwiss

Again, I never intent on discussing, so I will not.

That said, yet gain, 3d is 3d. I never said not to look at Skyrim stuff, just do not limit yourself. I stand by it. You don't grow out of tutorials, you run out of them.

A tip, nothing else.

Yes, I did read your topic. Please, you should think better of people than that.

You made a very bold statement by saying quote "You do not learn via Skyrim and grow out of Skyrim, you learn to model and grow in to Skyrim." As i learned to model by learning via Skyrim i am the living proof of at least one exception already. You claimed it to be a backward approach where i simply insist on 'there is more than 1 way to a goal'.

If this topic is still relevant i could help you with importing and exporting in blender and nifscope. I created tons of new content for skyrim, oblivion and fallout with blender.
Contact me via pm and i will explain you a bit of modelling with blender and give you important hints for skyrim. But dont expect too mutch it will take time to improve your skills i will only show some basics.

If this topic is still relevant i could help you with importing and exporting in blender and nifscope. I created tons of new content for skyrim, oblivion and fallout with blender.

Contact me via pm and i will explain you a bit of modelling with blender and give you important hints for skyrim. But dont expect too mutch it will take time to improve your skills i will only show some basics.

@tymbajamba

I would appretiate it a lot tumbajamba, thanks!