Editbin + 64-bit OS's

BigBodZod

So I wasn't sure where to place this thread as I searched on the forums for any information on using editbin that comes with Visual Studio and making your game files /LARGEADDRESSAWARE. If the mods feel this should go into another section, please feel free to move it thanks :)

I've read some things on this, mostly what got me interested was a little article over at Toms Hardware Guide and it mentioned using Visual Studio and the editbin command line to set this flag in a 32-bit app.

When run on a 64-bit OS like XP Pro 64-bit or Vista 64-bit, then the OS will allocate 4GB of virtual addressing space.

Supposedly this can help these apps/games run better on a 64-bit platform, especially ones that have more then 4GB of RAM installed on their machines.

Anything to this as I've not tried it out yet, but supposedly both Oblivion and Fallout 3 can benefit from this hack.

Just to be clear, flipping a switch in a program does not change it from 32-bit to 64-bit. If it were that easy, 64-bit apps would be the mainstream right now. (just wanted to clear that up before somebody reads more into it than just a memory hack)

I do not have a 64-bit OS yet so I cannot give any practical (tested) methods to improve performance for 32-bit games on 64-bit hardware/operating systems.

LHammonds

You are correct about this switch, it doesn't change an 32-bit app into a 64-bit app, all it's doing for the 32-bit app is to make it aware of memory addressing space above 4GB, mostly for the Virtual Addressing Space for the application.

It does indeed work for those running a 64-bit platform like XP Pro 64-bit and Vista 64-bit, I have tested this out on both platforms with varying degrees of success, i.e., makes a difference for some games and not others.

Mostly I'm trying to limit the ever popular CTD syndrome you can get if you near the capacity for both Kernal and Virtual addressing space, usually around 3GB.

I've not been able to further test on Windows 7 yet but hope to do so soon.

Archived