Which PC parts are most pertinent to playing heavily modded (Bethesda) games?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in the Sunnyvale area, Bay Area California.

HeyYou:

Where do you live? :smile:

Clayton Michigan. Tiny little burg just north of the ohio line, 'bout 80 miles west of Detroit. :D

I am sadly not very close. Florida here

Well, same continent at least. :D

Still a bit frustrated that my brand new PC build started out with a less than current chip

And as a result my DDR is 4 not 5 to boot.

I understand that FO4 is heavy on single core rather than make full use of multi cores, one of the strenghts of this chip getting unused. (?)

I am running an i7-9700KF, and DDR4 Ram. Performance is more than acceptable. :D

Still a bit frustrated that my brand new PC build started out with a less than current chip

And as a result my DDR is 4 not 5 to boot.

I understand that FO4 is heavy on single core rather than make full use of multi cores, one of the strenghts of this chip getting unused. (?)

I am running an i7-9700KF, and DDR4 Ram. Performance is more than acceptable. :D

you see this is one thing that bugs me.

I got rid of my i7-9700k for this i9 10900kf and i suspect i have no practical improvement except the priviledge of buying a new MB.

My installer got to keep my i7-9700 as a bonus.

Now I wonder , I hate waste, but I am not hurting for money (old dude here); if I upgrade to a i9-13900 and get (because i need it) a new LHA 1700 MB,

Should I then take that opportunity to replace my brand new DDR4 RAM,

Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (CMK64GX4M2E3200C16) - PCPartPicker

With DDR5 while i am at it?

For exaple:

CORSAIR VENGEANCE 64GB (2PK x 32GB) 5200MHz DDR5 C40 DESKTOP Black CMK64GX5M2B5200C40 - Best Buy

Can some MBs do both DDR 4 ansd DDR5?

Or is it either or?

I am thinking I could leave in my DDR4 if there is an MB that will allow me to switch to DDR5 later.

I understand a i9 13900 supports both (?)

Wow. The CPU upgrade looks like 30% or so performance improvement.... If you are going to upgrade, might just as well go whole hog, and go to DDR5 as well.

I suspect my new GPU (4070) in combination with my jump to 64Gb RAM are responsible for 95% of my playability improvement vs my old set up (which is admittedly quite noticable and welcome)

(i7 9700k, same SSD, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA 750ti)

You have given me more responsiveness/support than the dude who actually built my computer.

For this reason if I decide to go with Plan B (leave it all alone and just get a new computer later) I'll make a point of getting one from your shop, shipping cost be damned.

The CPU upgrade looks like 30% or so performance improvement....

30% improvment , you mean when going from i9 10900kf to i9 13900 or do you mean i7 9700k to i9 10900kf ?

Going to the i9 13th gen.

That is pretty much in line with Intel though. 10% improvement per generation.

The CPU upgrade looks like 30% or so performance improvement....

30% improvment , you mean when going from i9 10900kf to i9 13900 or do you mean i7 9700k to i9 10900kf ?

Going to the i9 13th gen.

That is pretty much in line with Intel though. 10% improvement per generation.

What about the 11900k? It will fit on my preexisting motherboard.

I know it was panned in the beginning when it came out as being no better or actually less fast than the 10900k and i know it has fewer cores.... but current comparisons on userbenchmark show it 7-9% faster across the board and 15% better in the important, I think, (for gaming?) single core category.

And then I dont need to buy a new MB and enter the slippery slope of "while -your-at-it"

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-11900K-vs-Intel-Core-i9-10900K/4110vs4071

I really dont know how to overlock but on XTU there is a single button push "auto overclock" feature, which I can use and I think i have noticed less stutter but it could also be placebo