Which PC parts are most pertinent to playing heavily modded (Bethesda) games?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that bit of improvement worth it to you though? That's the question you need to ask. I am running a 9th gen i7, and I am in no hurry to upgrade. I expect it will run any games I want just fine. Including Starfield.

Good to know.

The 300 dollars for the chip is a trivial expense to me (if i can get an IT guy form work to put it in for me for free), and IF I know it will do some good which I am not 100% on yet, since reviews differ.

So I dont know if it is really an improvement :smile:

Right now the game runs fine and i guess i should be careful not to try to fix whats not broke.

But then again scripted mods rely on single core CPU stuff, yes or no?

But if its not a big deal to put it in there and if it is an improvement for sure, even if a small one, I am very open to it since its less trouble than ripping out so many more components.

PS: This thread has attracted a LOT of views!

Well, beth's game engine has never had very good multi-core support, so for the older games, clock speed was more important than number of cores.... If you got a guy to install it, I'd say go for it. More performance is more performance, no matter how you slice it. :D

That said, if you are careful, you could swap it yourself in just few quick minutes......

Well, beth's game engine has never had very good multi-core support, so for the older games, clock speed was more important than number of cores.... If you got a guy to install it, I'd say go for it. More performance is more performance, no matter how you slice it. :D

That said, if you are careful, you could swap it yourself in just few quick minutes......

thank you for the reply.

I'd also have to disconnect the liquid cooling and i read one must be real careful not to damage anything in the connectors when putting together.

I think I will buy this. :)

PS: I seee quite a few od rthe i9 11900k listed as 2.5 Ghz not 3.5

At first i thought just a typo but there are quite afew with that odd number instead of 3.5 listed.

Is there some kind of inferior batch around tht was downgraded?

Intel Core i9-11900F - Core i9 11th Gen Rocket Lake 8-Core 2.5 GHz LGA 1200 65W None Integrated Graphics Desktop Processor - BX8070811900F - Newegg.com

Intel will downclock some processors, and sell 'em cheaper, for whatever reason. Sometimes it is indeed because they don't run stable at the higher rated speed.... but, Intel being intel, their reasons can be pretty nebulous. :D

The pump block is just secured to the proc by a few screws, or clips, or whathaveyou. Once unscrewed, or whatever, you can just carefully move it out of the way. Some of the coolant hoses are stiffer than others..... :) Just be gentle with it. And don't forget the thermal paste. Don't need much. About the size of a grain of rice. it will squish out nicely when you re-mount the pump.

You do NOT need to disconnect the coolant lines from anything. They are sealed systems, and the lines don't normally come apart. They break. :D

Reading this thread , with now over 3000 views, I come back to the original question of the OP. :happy:

Which components are most important fpr running Bethesda games?

CPU, GPU or RAM?

(And perhaps especially modded ones (thinking of scripted quest mods and the like not graphics since those are obviously tied to GPU))

CPU, then GPU. 16 gb Ram *should* be adequate, more is better, no such thing as too much. I don't know about creation engine 2.0, but, previous versions were more about clock speed than number of cores.... I would like to think that the new iteration will actually be able to use more than 2.... but, won't know till I try. Considering they want a six core (eight??) for Starfield, I would like to think it will. And don't neglect VRAM either. :D

CPU, then GPU. 16 gb Ram *should* be adequate, more is better, no such thing as too much. I don't know about creation engine 2.0, but, previous versions were more about clock speed than number of cores.... I would like to think that the new iteration will actually be able to use more than 2.... but, won't know till I try. Considering they want a six core (eight??) for Starfield, I would like to think it will. And don't neglect VRAM either. :D

Does having a lot of RAM, as I do, help when you are moving through very crowded worldspaces?

Like settlements at 70 settlers or the like?

Also if they are asking for cores for SF maybe I should keep my 10 core 20 thread 10900kf...

I did a benchmark on it and it was running at 5100 points when the avereage for 10900kf seems to be in the low 4000s.

I dont rember for sure but I think that was w/o xtu overclock enabled.

I been searching all over the internet to find out how much speed i am suppsoed to gain I enable the auto overclock button on Intels XTU.

but have not found out anything.

I may just wait to get a new MB/CPU when the 14th Gen consumer chips are out.

There is a guy at work who said he would change my CPU for me, but I am not sure I want to owe him.

My original builder (who seemed very skilled and did as far as I cna see a nice and clean assembly that runs cool) is just not responsive enough to have him do this.

More ram reduces the number of times the machine needs to hit the storage drive for more assets. At least, on a reasonably optimized program..... Having the info already in RAM, does make for better performance.

It will be interesting to see what changes they have made to the creation engine..... Hopefully it will be 'smarter'.... :D