Any new sword fighting RPGs?

isra

Anyone know of a good single player sword fighting RPG? I'm looking for something with realistic combat that's very interactive, preferably with an interesting story.

I'm not really a big fan of the over the top kinds of sword fighting games such as the .hack series or devil may cry. A great example of what I like is stuff like Way of the Samurai and Thief.

If Assassin's Creed didn't have all that future 'DNA Memory' bullcrêpe and just stuck to being a historical game I probably would have loved it :sweat:

It just seems like one of these hasn't been released in ages, so I'm hoping something has eluded my gaze.

I'm so sick of first person shooters I'm almost ready to go cold turkey õ_õ

Oh and obviously I don't mind linear games - sometimes I feel big sandboxes are a way of copping out of making a decent story!

Thanks for any suggestions! :thanks:

P.S. God, I feel like such a cynical old man! It seems the older I get the pickier I get huh!

Well, if you like old-school RPGs, then you'll like "Drakensang: The Dark Eye". German devs, based on their favorite pen-and-paper D&D game.

You can get it as a Download Version from ValuSoft (THQ). No DRM at all, just enter a standard Registration Code and start the game.

Reviews at Gamespot & IGN, although I tended to place more weight with the player reviews.

Great screenshots here:

Drakensang screens

What I'd like to see happen is a game where you can literally have long sword fights with opponents that are as good as you when it comes to being able to defend against incoming attacks. The best game I have played that allowed long sword fights that has plenty of different maneuvers is the Soul Calibur series playing as Mitsiguri. If that level of fun can be coupled with more realistic blade control (like Die by the Sword), I would be all over that game. I like the feel that Oblivion has in regards to this but it is way too simplistic. I hear the MMO Conan game allows for targeted strikes but I would like blows to the body to be more realistic such as attacks in the old game called Soldier of Fortune...but if your shield arm is damaged, your ability to block with the shield is weakened or made useless...if your legs are damaged, you cannot run away, etc.

I've seen a few episodes on TV called Deadliest Warrior which analyzes the lethality of the weapons and tactics by warriors such as Spartans, Medieval Knights, Pirates, Ninja and Samurai and pit them against each other in a simulator to see who would win if they faced off. The analysis of the damage by those weapons coupled with a game would be awesome. Truly devastating weapons tested on that series were: Spartan Shield, Knight Morning Star and a crossbow as being extremely effective weapons against armored enemies.

We are seeing more games utilize body-specific damage but there needs to be more affects to damage in those areas. There is one game that makes limited use of such localized damage where you cannot run if legs are hurt and cannot focus if you have head damage but I forget which game that was. ;)

So yeah, I'm looking forward to a sword-fighting action RPG!

LHammonds

LHammonds, Dwarf Fortress has damage modelling like that. If you want an example of just how detailed the damage modelling gets... this thread on the DF forums should demonstrate nicely: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=32145.0 :P

If both your arms have been ripped off, you can;t punch people, if you lose a leg, you fall over... but as it's an ascii game, it might not be what you want.

Re. the OP's question: Now you come to mention it, I can;t think of any recent games like you describe for the PC. there've been a few for consoles, but not many, and many of them weren't that good apparently.

There's a new one that's coming soon thats a MMO and has a Good Fight system.

Sword and Soul it's a MMO that has a Somewhat Fighting style of Dead or Alive Mixed with Jade Empire. *Not just sword Fighting but its good.

And also there the soon to come Fury 2: Warlords.

Archived