ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Need help from anybody who has installed Skyrim

DanteSSS333

I recently moved Skyrim from my SSD to my HDD, since my SSD doesnt´t have enough space anymore.

I forgot to copy the appmanifest.acf file, so Steam forces me to download Skyrim again, although I already have it installed. It would really be kind if anybody could give me his/her appmanifest_72850.acf file, it is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps (preferably somebody who has installed all DLCs, since Steam would have to reload them if it was from someone missing any DLC)

If you dont want to upload it, copy&pasting the content of it (it´s just a few lines long) into this thread or sending it to me via PM would be fine too, the file can be opened by the text editor, so it´s really nothing special.

Thanks in advance,

Dante

In Steam, right click on Skyrim and choose Properties. Choose the Local Files tab, then the Verify Integrity button. Steam will then look for any files that are missing and download only said files, not the entire game. Keep in mind that if you've cleaned your DLC plugin files with TES5Edit then the originals will be redownloaded as well, and you'll have to clean them again.

Honestly though, I would recommend a full re-install anyway. From what I understand, simply moving the game from one drive to another doesn't update any of the game's registry entries. Just seems safer to re-install properly IMO, even if it does take a little longer.

Edited by Hyacathusarullistad

In Steam, right click on Skyrim and choose Properties. Choose the Local Files tab, then the Verify Integrity button. Steam will then look for any files that are missing and download only said files, not the entire game. Keep in mind that if you've cleaned your DLC plugin files with TES5Edit then the originals will be redownloaded as well, and you'll have to clean them again.

Honestly though, I would recommend a full re-install anyway. From what I understand, simply moving the game from one drive to another doesn't update any of the game's registry entries. Just seems safer to re-install properly IMO, even if it does take a little longer.

I tried the same method with another game (moving the game and the corresponding appmanifest.acf) and it works perfectly. Besides, I dont want to reinstall all the mods again :P So it would be really kind if sb would post his appmanifest, I already tried the integrity method, but without the acf file, it wants to dl the whole game again :(

I have the exact same thing happening ( moved steam from my small SSD to another drive - then after working that day, the next day it wanted to completely reinstall Fallout New Vegas back to the SSD - I don't think using someone elses appsmanifest file will work like you think. That file is custom generated on your system for your specific game. And will be different for each.

I haven't tried it yet, but I think that you may be able to edit it - First, make a copy of the appsmanifest and give it a new name. Then open the original using an editor, such as the built in Windows notepad. At first it will look like a bunch of garble, but you can find the line showing the path to the game - it will look something like "E:\\Games\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\Skyrim" (the quote marks ARE included as are the double slashes \\

This is my path ( InstallDir ) for Fallout New Vegas: "c:\\games\\steam\\steamapps\\common\\fallout new vegas"

Notice that the path for Skyrim shows E:\ as the drive and the one for New Vegas shows C:\

I'm not sure yet if anything else needs to be changed - and likely will not get around to trying this for a week or so as I am in the middle of building a new computer.

Possibly someone with more experience with the Steam appsmanifest will see this and let us know.