ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

[WIP] Apocalypse New

EnaiSiaion

Actually, it's not only because "page 2 syndrome", Dwemerverse is worse than Apocalypse, despite latter being your first mod and covering 4X more magic schools. Thunderchild, being a mod for aspect which is TURBO-USELESS in vanilla game, bound not to be poplar.

Actually... Dwemerverse is better cos:

-Has better visuals

-Has an interesting and lorefriendly way of obtaining those spells

-Has more usefull spells in general... like... based on meh own experience I constantly use around 90% od DV spells... while playing only with apoc in the past I wasn't using... (or used them really rearly) around 40% of apoc Alteration spells.

-Elliminates the repetitive spell effect mechanic that existed in Apoc Alteration school.

-Elliminates the toggle type spells and implements the Dwemer Stones mechanic in its place... I find this solution to be more... realistic... like... a spell buff working for an unlimited amount of time... well I just think Dwemervers solution is more neat.

Edited by Tykiii

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you have mistaken my suggestions for a wish after easy gameplay. I play Requiem, SkyRe is still an easy thing and thus everything counts. On a side note I come from the old school of RPG; PnP even with Dungeons&Dragons so I am used to extensive magic spells. I still think that the template for magic spells in Baldur's Gate is a great way to create a magic system. In shot I want more "magic" in a magic class.

The staff element is there because I thought how cool it would be to summon your own staff out of thin air like a mage should do, If it is effective and how it works or scales in damage is a thing I dare not to presume for i have no experience with modding and the difficulties related to that, hence I respect a modder.

The point on food and shelter conjured is not a way to "break" the immersion mods but to give a way for a magic character to be exactly that, a magic user, Magic is used for all kinds of feats and unnatural achievements so why not be able to summon a loaf of bread as a mage. I really doubt that this would be "gamebreaking" but it would sure provide a strong magic feel to our character we play, and here is all about the feel of being magic users.

On the Polymorph effect, speaking as a Requiem user even three seconds can save your life, a lot of times especially if you play with default settings and it hardly breaks the game since even a lowly bandit can kill you with a single swing of his sword and you face usually at least three of them. It is a calculated choice, how much magicka I am willing to invest in defense and how much in offence, but you cannot spam both. So at best one could cast once the spell and hope that you have enough magicka to kill off the bandit that remains.

About the weapon speed spell, duly noted, problems with scaling, understood. I imagine that making a balanced magic system and mod is a great feat on its own, I would not dare to argue here.

Horde, the original was good (though beggars in rags had little of zombie in them), but I was thinking something fun, like a horde of rabbits or chicken that attack your enemies in blood lust. A fun thing mostly. Monty Python reference.

In short it is not about being OP but simply to feel like a proper wizard, a magic user with numerous and interesting magic spells, nothing more than that. No need to make them all combat viable, transportation, support, crowd control and summons, all this works great and allows a number of solutions to the numerous problems out there in Skyrim.

Again some tips:

- Holy Nova spell, an Aoe, short time cast spell with minimal damage but with nasty collateral effects. The Restoration school is often overlooked past the Heals and everything that makes it viable is good in my books. The effects could be several, heal friend, harm foe, + damage to undead and daedra... Novice or Master... matters not but a quick and offensive AOE in Restoration would be great indeed. Again low damage but a number of side effects.

- Disease: Damage over time in the Restoration school, spreads when an effect/action happens (death, wound, hit... no ideas here). Low damage initially but high damage later one. It would reward a player to think in advance and spread it in a proper way across the foes. The trick would be the low damage in the start and high damage in the end, so you have to know which target you hit first and which last, and try to run the full course of the spell. (WoW Warlock)

- Dance... like the magic flute hero, you force your enemies do dance until exauhstion. Master level, Aoe.,,, the true reward for a Bard player. Dont know if it is viable though. Humanoids only.

- Spellfrenzy ... you enter in a controlled frenzy, the cast time diminishes by half but the spell cost increases by half. The I kill you with magic button.

- Skulltrap ... you conjure a Skull on the ground which explodes when the enemies are nearby or after 30 seconds. A more fun rune spell, perhaps magic damage only and not an elemental one.

- Army of Souls .., for the cost of a fllled soul gem you unleash an army of soulbroken ghosts upon your enemy. With every attack on the living they drain some life force and prolong their existance in the real world. On base the spell should have a very limited duration but with every foe slain by the ghosts the duration increases by a tiny fraction, noticable sure, but not so big to make it an almost permanent army. Ritual spell...

- Gout of Acid... a spell that bathes your enemies in acid (poison) which eats them alive.

- Acid Arrow... a spell that inflicts a low basic damage but has a duration of x seconds, During this time the enemy suffers some damage every few seconds as long as the spell is active.

- Spectre, the caster places his soul in the Oblivion and for a limited amount of time he is a ghost. During this time the enemies do not detect him and nor attack him, leaving the caster free to explore. When the spell ends the caster is teleported back to the place where he cast the spell. A longer ghostwalk but without offensive elements. A tool to scout, to plan and to use brain. A mage is supposed to be a clever person and information is key to him. OFc, every interaction would break the spell.

- Animate Weapon, you conjure an animated weapon that would fight at your side. Like a summon spell but instead of a creature, you summon a blade (granted the actor wielding it would be probably invisible). Or even better, you drop a weapon on the ground and you cast a spell that would animate it. Placing it in the inventory of an actor which fights at your side. Very low duration. But fun, especially if you drop an enchanted weapon... Imagine the fun and the utility. All those weapons we gather around would be actually useful to a mage, be it a lowly dagger or a mighty greatsword.

- The Alinor Bow: from your hand you fire a host of arrows. Limited duration, machine gun thing, high level, high cost. Concentration spell.

More when I get some ideas, afterall you asked of us to brainstorm.

Actually... Dwemerverse is better cos:

-Has better visuals

That doesn't say much, because Dwemerverse isn't strictly graphics mod.

-Has an interesting and lorefriendly way of obtaining those spells

You seem to think that tedious = lore-friendly. I myself got sick after copious amount of grinding (precision tools requires 5 drop-only ingredients and Dwemerverse adds clutter which serves no purpose other than cluttering interface). And if you consider using forge as "interesting" thing, you certainly didn't spend enough time in it.

-Has more useful spells in general... like... based on meh own experience I constantly use around 90% od DV spells... while playing only with apoc in the past I wasn't using... (or used them really rearly) around 40% of apoc Alteration spells.

Care to name spells which don't intersect with apoc ones and are also useful? Did you obtain all spells without using console?

-Eliminates the repetitive spell effect mechanic that existed in Apoc Alteration school.

What do you mean by that?

-Elliminates the toggle type spells and implements the Dwemer Stones mechanic in its place...

Which changes... nothing. Also, Stones have to compete, on top of each other, with double enchanted/unique amulets.

I find this solution to be more... realistic...

You know, in the context of magic (and specifically dwemer magic) this argument sounds rather silly.

Going to have to agree with Strig here, while Dwemerverse is a good mod it pales in comparison to Apoc.

Personally I didn't mind the grinding for precision tools however I still feel the mod added very little to what apoc did already for the alteration school, and on top of that I actually preferred the visuals of apoc (specifically talon shot) but to each their own.

First time posting here.

Apocalypse was an outstanding addition to an otherwise lacklustre magic system in vanilla Skyrim. If I may take a guess, I assume that you are a big fan of Alteration magic because a great deal of diversity has gone into that school (which is brilliant). I've felt that Destruction probably needs a little more variation and love but how much can you give it when it's purpose is really to do damage?

Anyway I'm not sure what your intentions with the contingencies are but they were excellent ideas though thoroughly exploitable (contingency / limited wish was pretty rad...). They did allow, however, some interesting combinations for people who want to do melee fighting at the same time. For example, defensive contingency + healing or protective magic felt like you could really run a "Paladin" build or the like. Moving from this if you could look at making sword + spell more viable it would be awesome, and sword + shield + spell contingencies of some sort would really make this mod attractive to more than just 'pure' mages. Right now hybrid mages feel rather limited and there surely is a sizeable niche here that hasn't been explored. A contingent spell that activates when you hit someone with a melee attack would be incredible (if it's doable?).

I think you have mistaken my suggestions for a wish after easy gameplay. I play Requiem, SkyRe is still an easy thing and thus everything counts. On a side note I come from the old school of RPG; PnP even with Dungeons&Dragons so I am used to extensive magic spells. I still think that the template for magic spells in Baldur's Gate is a great way to create a magic system. In shot I want more "magic" in a magic class.

The staff element is there because I thought how cool it would be to summon your own staff out of thin air like a mage should do, If it is effective and how it works or scales in damage is a thing I dare not to presume for i have no experience with modding and the difficulties related to that, hence I respect a modder.

The point on food and shelter conjured is not a way to "break" the immersion mods but to give a way for a magic character to be exactly that, a magic user, Magic is used for all kinds of feats and unnatural achievements so why not be able to summon a loaf of bread as a mage. I really doubt that this would be "gamebreaking" but it would sure provide a strong magic feel to our character we play, and here is all about the feel of being magic users.

On the Polymorph effect, speaking as a Requiem user even three seconds can save your life, a lot of times especially if you play with default settings and it hardly breaks the game since even a lowly bandit can kill you with a single swing of his sword and you face usually at least three of them. It is a calculated choice, how much magicka I am willing to invest in defense and how much in offence, but you cannot spam both. So at best one could cast once the spell and hope that you have enough magicka to kill off the bandit that remains.

About the weapon speed spell, duly noted, problems with scaling, understood. I imagine that making a balanced magic system and mod is a great feat on its own, I would not dare to argue here.

Horde, the original was good (though beggars in rags had little of zombie in them), but I was thinking something fun, like a horde of rabbits or chicken that attack your enemies in blood lust. A fun thing mostly. Monty Python reference.

In short it is not about being OP but simply to feel like a proper wizard, a magic user with numerous and interesting magic spells, nothing more than that. No need to make them all combat viable, transportation, support, crowd control and summons, all this works great and allows a number of solutions to the numerous problems out there in Skyrim.

Again some tips:

- Holy Nova spell, an Aoe, short time cast spell with minimal damage but with nasty collateral effects. The Restoration school is often overlooked past the Heals and everything that makes it viable is good in my books. The effects could be several, heal friend, harm foe, + damage to undead and daedra... Novice or Master... matters not but a quick and offensive AOE in Restoration would be great indeed. Again low damage but a number of side effects.

- Disease: Damage over time in the Restoration school, spreads when an effect/action happens (death, wound, hit... no ideas here). Low damage initially but high damage later one. It would reward a player to think in advance and spread it in a proper way across the foes. The trick would be the low damage in the start and high damage in the end, so you have to know which target you hit first and which last, and try to run the full course of the spell. (WoW Warlock)

- Dance... like the magic flute hero, you force your enemies do dance until exauhstion. Master level, Aoe.,,, the true reward for a Bard player. Dont know if it is viable though. Humanoids only.

- Spellfrenzy ... you enter in a controlled frenzy, the cast time diminishes by half but the spell cost increases by half. The I kill you with magic button.

- Skulltrap ... you conjure a Skull on the ground which explodes when the enemies are nearby or after 30 seconds. A more fun rune spell, perhaps magic damage only and not an elemental one.

- Army of Souls .., for the cost of a fllled soul gem you unleash an army of soulbroken ghosts upon your enemy. With every attack on the living they drain some life force and prolong their existance in the real world. On base the spell should have a very limited duration but with every foe slain by the ghosts the duration increases by a tiny fraction, noticable sure, but not so big to make it an almost permanent army. Ritual spell...

- Gout of Acid... a spell that bathes your enemies in acid (poison) which eats them alive.

- Acid Arrow... a spell that inflicts a low basic damage but has a duration of x seconds, During this time the enemy suffers some damage every few seconds as long as the spell is active.

- Spectre, the caster places his soul in the Oblivion and for a limited amount of time he is a ghost. During this time the enemies do not detect him and nor attack him, leaving the caster free to explore. When the spell ends the caster is teleported back to the place where he cast the spell. A longer ghostwalk but without offensive elements. A tool to scout, to plan and to use brain. A mage is supposed to be a clever person and information is key to him. OFc, every interaction would break the spell.

- Animate Weapon, you conjure an animated weapon that would fight at your side. Like a summon spell but instead of a creature, you summon a blade (granted the actor wielding it would be probably invisible). Or even better, you drop a weapon on the ground and you cast a spell that would animate it. Placing it in the inventory of an actor which fights at your side. Very low duration. But fun, especially if you drop an enchanted weapon... Imagine the fun and the utility. All those weapons we gather around would be actually useful to a mage, be it a lowly dagger or a mighty greatsword.

- The Alinor Bow: from your hand you fire a host of arrows. Limited duration, machine gun thing, high level, high cost. Concentration spell.

More when I get some ideas, afterall you asked of us to brainstorm.

Some people may consider just summoning food to defeat the point of a survival mod. If you don't think so, fine, but any benefit I get from giving you this spell is negated by the clutter for people who don't care about food and the negative influence on people who do want a survival experience.

Still don't like the staff idea, but why not?

Disease is already in Apocalypse in the form of Chanthrax and Necroplague. Have you used the mod before? :tongue:

Spellfrenzy isn't possible. The souls would be tricky (it is easy until you want them to scale with conjuration duration modifiers). Spectre also isn't possible. :(

Going to have to agree with Strig here, while Dwemerverse is a good mod it pales in comparison to Apoc.

Personally I didn't mind the grinding for precision tools however I still feel the mod added very little to what apoc did already for the alteration school, and on top of that I actually preferred the visuals of apoc (specifically talon shot) but to each their own.

Obviously. It was after all intended to be 1/5 towards the goal of replacing Apocalypse. The idea of the five 'Verses was scrapped when it turned out that no one gave a damn about them, and all anyone ever wanted was Apocalypse because derp top 100 mod derp derp.

TLDontR: I like Apoc Spell Pack. Hope to see some sort of tele return for easy travel. Hope to see some sort of conjuration level based summon spell. Thanks for making Apoc.

I really enjoy the current Apocalypse set as a pure mage.

Forgive me if this has been answered anywhere, but will any form of talon strike return? I dont know how the coding work for damage on it. Could you make it eat your mana on hit relative to how much damage it did? or maybe stamina? or both... I just enjoyed the thought of more dmaage over range. Me being a shitty shot when i actually pull off that long range shot and watch his health drop

I use teleport for traveling across the (imo sometimes absolutely terrible to traverse) terrain. I've never used it in combat. I feel like you are trying to restrict an issue that can be done in vanilla. You could still jump up on stuff and sit back and fire spells or arrows at a melee enemy ( its how i got my ebony blade back in oblivion with 200 arrows). Eitherway will a non-combat non-enemy-targeting teleport spell be returning?

I am also a fan of the move speed boost spells. Something about blurring through the woods and then starting to sprint on top of it. very satisfying. Did not originally think there would too much of a benefit over Almalexia's Grace, but I was wrong.

As i mage my usual fighting consists of summoning distractions and then running away to talon strike. If they get close i use my starting ice blast and run some more.

If the wolf pack or something similar in nature perhaps considered making it based on Conjuration level as some other spells are based on level of skills. I'd think at max level maybe six wolves. One of the magic packs I've used I could summon 20 skeevers (five at a time) which is a little obscene. That combo'd terrifyingly with your Fire of the Master spell.

Spells that were only usable outside or any sort of limitation like that I immediately lost interest in. I feel like a large portion of the game is in a cave or building so I dont like the idea of having a dead spell for that much of the time.

I understand trying to create interesting tradeoffs and more complex than 'herp derp I do damage to you'.

I did like that you made more damage spells in other trees.

Destruction is not the only way one causes damage.

Keep on keeping on. You're doing awesome things.

Talon Strike = scripted damage = doesn't scale. There's a binary "at long range deals double damage" spell though.

Teleport will be put back in and Levitate/Kinetic Charge removed.

If you can throw out enough conjurations faster than they can kill them, you are invincible...

Well then... I like Apocalypse... and I use it with a slew of other mods as well... hmmm.... a new updated version... that'd be cool I guess.

Pretty visuals and shiny things... that's what I want... but really I think a small amount of legit curse spells would be really fun. Perhaps not something that will instakill people or turn them into stone. More like sickness or hallucinations and the such. Drive them to madness perhaps? Which would give them new dialogue and packages to go with the madness?

Anyways... thanks for the thread... I wouldn't have seen Dwemerverse & Resplendent without it... kudos.

Stone Curse exists in Apocalypse already.

http://static2.nexusmods.com/110/images/110/3959191-1385941348.jpg

Oblivion's 11

Some of the conjurations in ApocNew. I'm doing away with anything that could overlap with other mods - everyone has "summon wolf" for instance.

To prevent the balance issues between having minions and not having minions (summoning them is only one spellcast, so they are a straight up power boost until they die) most minions have frontloaded effects and drop off in power unless you resummon them.

• Top right is a Herne. Low health, but comes with 3 Spirit Wolves. If you have Twin Souls, that's 6 Zerglings Wolves tanking.
  • Bottom right is the new Radac (yes, there's a custom model. Look closer). Has a Dwemerverse staff that fires exploding tech and can levitate targets.
  • Bottom mid is the Nether Lich. Has offensive restoration and conjuration: a bolt that inflicts 5 disease dps for 30 seconds, the restoration spell Ruin which reduces all of an enemy's skills by 5 permanently and the ability to raise corpses as Lich Servants. This is a minion for prolonged fights and almost useless in short encounters.
  • Top left is a Dremora Churl. It's stronger than anything else you can get at apprentice level, but when it dies, it is resummoned under the control of its killer.
  • Top second left is the Xivilai Lord (his name is Anaxes). Its green lightning attack deals massive damage but also costs tons of magicka, which he pays for by turning half of your magicka into his magicka when summoned at a 1>4 ratio.

Etc.

I am glad to see you doing this, good luck and i bet it will kick some serious ass. I wish others from older mods refreshed their mods like this. Thank you

Agreed, there is no incentive to improve mods in the top 100 because many downloaders only care about the top 100 so there is no real threat from newer and better mods except for the rare Falskaar. I don't think it's ethical that 75% of my downloads and endorsements come from my one mod that is blatantly outdated, so I'm bringing it up to 2014 standards.

Amazing!

Sorry if this as already been asked, but apocalypse and apocalypse new will be compatible?

Isn't that like asking if patch 1.1 and 1.2 of something are compatible? :tongue: